• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

middleton lakes 18th April (1 Viewer)

Sandy and pete

Sandy, Pete and Barry
Between 2 and 5p.m. today we saw at Middleton Lakes, a barn owl, little egret, sedge warbler, 1 dunlin, 1 green sandpiper, 1 ringed plover, 3 little ringed plover, 2 oystercatcher, 1 redshank and one female pintail, and a couple of common terns. Pete, Sandy & Barry

We met a couple of experienced birdwatchers we knew, who had heard a grasshopper warbler reeling from Fishers mill Bridge but we were unable to find it later but have no reason to doubt the report.

There has always been a public footpath through the lakes. Had an organised walk there in February. Work was going on a pace and there were big plans ahead.

Are any of the hides/viewing screens in place?

There has always been a public footpath through the lakes. Had an organised walk there in February. Work was going on a pace and there were big plans ahead.

Are any of the hides/viewing screens in place?

No hides or screens when i last popped over about 2 weeks ago, in fact no sign of any work going on at that time.

Jon

It won't be long before this reserve opens to the public.
I hadn't been here for over a week and I was surprised to see how much everything had grown and come into leaf. The Bluebell wood looked great,however all the paths were bone dry.
Highlights for me were my first 2 Swifts of the year,these being the 132nd species for the year for the reserve (not all seen by me). A pair of Garganey were still on the north pit and there were a nice selection of waders including Oystercatcher,LRP,Ringed Plover, 3 Lapwing chicks, 3 Ruff,6 Redshank and a Greenshank.
It was also good to see Kingfisher and Yellow Wagtail, a Cetti's Warbler was singing from across the river.
Adam Archer called the reserve 'The Minsmere of the west midlands' which isn't far from the truth.

Last edited:
New in today was a Black-tailed Godwit. The 3 Ruff and 1 Greenshank were still on north pit. A Cuckoo called briefly, 2 Grasshopper Warbler sang by Dosthill Lake and 4 Swift flew north.
I may have seen the Honey Buzzard fly northeast but didn't get enough on it to be sure,watched from the Dosthill Lake Bund hill (thanks Steve and Tom for the prompt text).

No new waders in today except 1 Snipe,my first of the month. The pair of Garganey were still on north pit, 9 Swift flew north.
Highlights for me were a Hobby hawking insects,a bright male Wheatear on north pit,2 Ravens being mobbed by Crows and a Cuckoo was seen and heard.
Dragonflies seen were a few Large Red Damselflies and a Banded Demoiselle.

Just a thought, If the Bluethroat has left Upton Warren,then Fishers Mill Pool looks ideal for one at the moment. Worth a look.

Just a thought, If the Bluethroat has left Upton Warren,then Fishers Mill Pool looks ideal for one at the moment. Worth a look.

Sounds like a good place you have there, the new Minsmere of the midlands ..OK then Geoff we are the new Cley here at Upton warren :smoke:

The drake Garganey was still here this afternoon with 9 species of wader including 1 Ruff,1 Snipe,1 Greenshank and a Dunlin was new in.
My first Garden Warbler of the year sang by Bassett South pools.
The work party were busy putting up a signpost by Fishers Mill Pool so no need to get lost now.

New in today was a Turnstone, a Ruff was still here otherwise quiet in the strong wind.
Nice to see a Small Copper butterfly.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back