• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Borçka (1 Viewer)

Welcome to birdforum!

I have no personal knowledge of the location you mention. There is one problem though in the use of a special character (the c with the hanging apostrophe which I do not know the name of). For technical reasons. the Opus tries as much as possible to avoid using such characters.

Niels

Welcome to birdforum!

I have no personal knowledge of the location you mention. There is one problem though in the use of a special character (the c with the hanging apostrophe which I do not know the name of). For technical reasons. the Opus tries as much as possible to avoid using such characters.

Niels

Fine place- maybe slightly overtaken by Batumi these days as destination of choice. I can see the problem with the hanging symbol- but it might help people to find the page, if you called it Borcka, even without the dangler, rather than Borka. The former is what birders tend to call it- if you google "Borcka + Honey Buzzard" and compare with results from "Borka + Honey Buzzard", you will see what I mean.

The name of the letter is c-cedilla, I guess, though its Turkish name is pronounced roughly like che.

Anyway, I'm in full agreement with ed keeble; if for technical reasons, ç is not available, Borcka would be a great improvement from the current title if moving the article is at all possible — it would easily be recognizable to anyone who has an idea about the place, while Borka frankly is totally meaningless.

Oh, thanks for the welcome, by the way.

Last edited:
OK, the name is now updated to Borcka, hopefully throughout the page. I also added a line about alternative names. Any chance any of you have a photo of (or at least from) the location?

Niels

No, I'm afraid, I don't have any photos as I've never been there. I tried searching Wikimedia Commons and Flickr for CC-licensed pictures (what's the requirements for uploading photos here, by the way?); all Commons has to offer is two generic city photographs that would be out of place here, while Flickr absolutely has zero photographs from the area that is licensed CC. Commons has a category for the Çoruh River, by the way (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Çoruh,_Turkey) — while none of the photos listed there are from Borçka, they should all be taken from nearby locations, and might be of use here.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back