• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory Pocket, Swaro CL b impressions and more (1 Viewer)

A2GG

Beth
United States
Went up to the Audubon nature store today to check out the new Swaro CL b specifically and see whatever else.
They were having a Zeiss optics day in the store which I didn't know about beforehand. It was a nice surprise to walk in and see the Zeiss rep and the range of Zeiss binos. Rich Moncrief was there representing Zeiss and answering questions. We chatted a bit about birdforum which he frequently monitors and knew me as soon as I told him my user name on the forum.

My short list of binos for my next (and hopefully last) purchase were all there to try: Swaro CL B, Swaro EL 32 and Conquest hd 8x32. I mentioned the other day in a different thread I'd try the Victory Pocket out of curiosity and there it was in the lineup presented by Zeiss.

When I first arrived (before going into the store) I looked for birds and saw a few birders on the path. One woman had the new 8x30 CLb so I asked her how she liked it. She recently purchased it and was very happy with it. She allowed me to peek through it and it's a good thing because I discovered later the store only had a 10x30 in stock.
I had only a very brief look at it so it's difficult to comment on the optics. I was more interested to see if I could tell immediately if the bin worked better with my eyeglasses than my original version CL which I had with me. I think I was expecting a bit too much improvement after reading about the new 'eye box' or eyepiece design reported on the forum. I noticed it's maybe slightly better, more comfortable but nothing significant. If I had more time with it I think my perception could change, but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be with this first view. It did seem perhaps slightly less picky with glasses than my CL. I noticed the ocular lenses are bigger on the CL b and the body is a little longer. It has the same great comfort/ergonomics and it's beautifully built. It doesn't look "garish" in person as I always imagined from product photos online. I did not notice the wider FOV. I think the specs reveal a modest improvement in FOV if I remember correctly. Both the 8x and 10x30 had a somewhat stiff focus but I would assume that should loosen up with use over time. It seemed to have a little better contrast in general, but I can't comment on sharpness specifically since the diopter was not set for me. The CL b has 16mm ER and the original CL has 15mm, but I think useable ER may be about the same. The eyecup rims on my CL are close to flush with the oculars while the CL b eyecups seem to rise above the ocular lenses a little more . Overall the CL b is nice, but I think I had a higher expectation of the interface and comfort with eyeglasses. Of course that could all change after using it for a few hours birding. I just had only a brief look.

The big surprise was the Victory Pocket 8x25 which lived
up to the great reviews on the forum. With this bino I had rather lower expectations and was skeptical of the reports about it working well with eyeglasses. I thought a small exit pupil is still a small exit pupil and didn't expect much here. I was immediately impressed with how good it was with glasses. It was not that different than my 8x30. I went back and forth between them and after a few times I did see that the larger 8x30 was indeed easier with eye placement, but I have to praise the VP for its comfortable interface with eyeglasses. I was impressed further with its very nice handling and feel, nice smooth and precise focus and very sharp image.
I had the diopter just set to zero and didn't custom set it and I could immediately see the VP was already sharper than my CL. It handled very well for a pocket bino. I wondered if I could use it as my main binocular. However, I think it's too small to be my primary birding bin. I'm trying to go these days with just one binocular to do it all. The tiny size and fly weight is tempting and I have to say it's real impressive ... I think Zeiss did a great job with it.

Tried out Conquest HD 8x32 and was again impressed. I've tried it a couple times in the past and liked it. It works very well with glasses. The focus is nice and smooth, but very fast. I focused from close to far several times to get used to it and I think it would come with time. I'm just not used to such a fast focus. I think it could be beneficial once I got adjusted to it. It's a little bigger than a lot of 32 size binos and relatively heavy at 22 ounces. But, there's still something about it I really like so I'm keeping it on the shortlist as a more affordable option (compared to Swaro EL).

Briefly picked up SF for the heck of it and still think it has nice handling and a nice focus action.

Looked briefly through the EL SV 8x32 field pro and it's the same impression I always have - its exquisite and had the best ease of view with glasses. The green color EL of the field pro seems more subdued than the former SV version. I like the new green tone better ... It was quite nice in person. I have it at the top of my list, but it's super expensive which gives me some pause.

Rich brought Zeiss schwag so I grabbed a large lens cloth and Zeiss t-shirt. Thankfully they had a woman's 'Heffer' size. I need to lay off the pastries and goodies...it's getting bad.

That's my quick report of the Zeiss day at Scherman Hoffman Audubon sanctuary. It was nice to meet Rich and try those Zeiss binos.

Last edited:
Went up to the Audubon nature store today.

The big surprise was the Victory Pocket 8x25 which lived up to the great reviews on the forum. I was immediately impressed with how good it was with glasses. It was not that different than my 8x30. I went back and forth between them and after a few times I did see that the larger 8x30 was indeed easier with eye placement, but I have to praise the VP for its comfortable interface with eyeglasses. I was impressed further with its very nice handling and feel, nice smooth and precise focus and very sharp image.
I had the diopter just set to zero and didn't custom set it and I could immediately see the VP was already sharper than my CL.

Hi ... I also have the older version of the CL (2015) which I spent a tad less than what I see the pocket 8x25 sells for on sale. If you were purchasing your 8x30 CL now and having tried the pocket 8x25, if the prices were comparable which binocular would you buy based on it’s sharpness, handling and eye relief. .... Thanks, Gwen

Last edited:
I've used the 8x25 VP as a main binocular in all birding scenarios - leisure/recreation, incidental when hiking, and field surveys for work, and have never found it wanting. Pairing it with a good 7x40+ was my initial plan, but I found myself using the 7x42 UVHD so little that it didn't make sense to keep both around. I used it for both grassland and woodland point counts/territory mapping and even under dense foilage it did well and I had no doubts in my ability to pick up fine detail.

As you may recall, I've never been to enthralled with the original 8x30 CL and in general have struggled to find a sub 40mm binocular that worked well for me, so the 8x25VP is something of a mystery for sure.

Hi ... I also have the older version of the CL (2015) which I spent a tad less than what I see the pocket 8x25 sells for on sale. If you were purchasing your 8x30 CL now and having tried the pocket 8x25, if the prices were comparable which binocular would you buy based on it’s sharpness, handling and eye relief. .... Thanks, Gwen

I'd buy an 8x32 EL :)

I am actually buying now or I should say I'm looking to buy soon.
I'm attempting to replace both my ultravid 7x42 (neck/shoulder issues from weight) and the CL 8x30 with only one bino.

Comfort or ease of view with my glasses is pretty important to me so I'm trying to find a smaller bino that's works well. 8x32 seems the way to go. I think going smaller than 8x32 is not the best for use with eyeglasses (for me).

I walked out of the store with my 8x30 and have no plans to buy the 8x25 even though it's great.

If I didn't have to wear glasses I'd probably go with the Victory Pocket over the CL.
It was noticeably sharper, had a wonderful focus and I loved the small size and super light weight. The handling or ergonomics were quite good, but maybe not quite as good as CL. ER on VP is listed at 16.5 but eyecup rims rise pretty high above oculars so I think it's about the same as CL (approx 15).

With glasses I found the CL to have a little better eye placement due to the slightly bigger exit pupil, but the VP was impressive and came close. It works surprisingly good with glasses for 8x25 format.

Last edited:
Thanks for your hands on opinion

You're welcome ... I hope it helped

I went back up to the store to look at the Conquest 8x32 again.
It was sitting right next to a 8x32 Viper HD and it's slightly bigger than the Viper.
It is rather large for 32mm. However, the EL 32 is even longer than the Conquest, but 1 ounce lighter. I compared them directly and found the EL an easier view with glasses but Conquest is still pretty good on it's own. My main purpose was to see how each felt with handling, weight and how each worked with glasses.
I really like them both. EL is better overall, but Conquest is attractive for quality for the price. I do like the focus on both and I'm somewhat allured by the fast focus of the Conquest.

I would like to try the 8x30 CL b again. I didn't have near enough time with it yesterday. They only have the 10x30 in store now. It's quite a bit lighter than the other two at only 17 ounces. I'm liking the super light weight of my current CL. It made the Conquest and EL seem heavy by comparison. I need to get another look through the new CL and comapare it directly with old CL.

Last edited:
Did you look for flare on the EL SV 8x32? It's supposed to be the Achille's heel of those binoculars.

As for shoulder pain, I'm not sure lighter binoculars will be sufficient to stave it off. Perhaps you should look at alternative solutions like a binocular harness or this clip:
https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/clips/products/bino-kit

No I didn't check for flare this time, but I noticed it a few years ago when I
had the opportunity to try it for a longer period of time.

I mentioned this in another thread, but weight is definitely a factor.
I've been using my current CL the last couple weekends and it has made a big difference. It's almost 10 ounces lighter than the 7x42.
I haven't had the type of soreness I experienced when using the heavier binocular.

Yes I have a harness and I always used it with the 7x42. Harness is not the answer. Going lighter is the obvious solution based on my recent experience.

I have neck and shoulder issues in general and cutting out heavy handbags and using lighter binocular is helping.

You're welcome ... I hope it helped

I went back up to the store to look at the Conquest 8x32 again.
It was sitting right next to a 8x32 Viper HD and it's slightly bigger than the Viper.
It is rather large for 32mm. However, the EL 32 is even longer than the Conquest, but 1 ounce lighter. I compared them directly and found the EL an easier view with glasses but Conquest is still pretty good on it's own. My main purpose was to see how each felt with handling, weight and how each worked with glasses.
I really like them both. EL is better overall, but Conquest is attractive for quality for the price. I do like the focus on both and I'm somewhat allured by the fast focus of the Conquest.

I would like to try the 8x30 CL b again. I didn't have near enough time with it yesterday. They only have the 10x30 in store now. It's quite a bit lighter than the other two at only 17 ounces. I'm liking the super light weight of my current CL. It made the Conquest and EL seem heavy by comparison. I need to get another look through the new CL and comapare it directly with old CL.

GG,

I have the VP 8x25, the old CL 8x30 and the new CL 8x30 and the Pre FP 8x32 SW SV. All are very good as you know. Having compared the old and new 8x30 CL, IMO the new is a noticeably better bin and as I recall 4 oz lighter than the old model. The FOV appears even larger than the difference in the specs on paper, the view is noticeably sharper and brighter. The 8x32 is clearly the best optically however.

Assuming you will be selling both your original CL and the Leica 7x42 you might consider buying both the VP and a used pre FP 8x32 to save money. Having both would give your shoulders and neck a break by using the VP when needed. The more you use the VP and get used to it, the more I think you would like it as a light weight alternative.

Mike

GG,

I have the VP 8x25, the old CL 8x30 and the new CL 8x30 and the Pre FP 8x32 SW SV. All are very good as you know. Having compared the old and new 8x30 CL, IMO the new is a noticeably better bin and as I recall 4 oz lighter than the old model. The FOV appears even larger than the difference in the specs on paper, the view is noticeably sharper and brighter. The 8x32 is clearly the best optically however.

Assuming you will be selling both your original CL and the Leica 7x42 you might consider buying both the VP and a used pre FP 8x32 to save money. Having both would give your shoulders and neck a break by using the VP when needed. The more you use the VP and get used to it, the more I think you would like it as a light weight alternative.

Mike

Hi Mike,

The old CL and new CL b are both 17 ounces. Tonight I'm of the frame of mind to check into the CL b more and , if it's as you and others say , just go with it.
If CL b will work a little better with eyeglasses and the optics are improved it
seems like an obvious choice for the super low weight and the fact I like the CL design in general.

I'm trying to avoid 2 binos and really want to just go with one.
But if I wanted 2, I would go with the new Kowa BD II 6.5x32 as the second bin since
I really like lower power binoculars. The BDII looks very intriguing with its super
wide FOV. I'm curious to read initial reviews of it. There is the small possibility of keeping my
current CL and adding the Kowa 6.5x. This would save me a ton of money.

I'm just not sure what bino to go with and need more time to figure it all out.
I have to sell my ultravid first. I hate to see it go.

Last edited:
Being a Leica girl at heart I wonder if I should hang in there and wait
for those new classic Trinovids come out. ER is a tad short but so is my CL (15mm) which
surprisingly works for me. 7x35 Trinovid looks great with nice big 5mm exit pupil.
Wonder when those will finally be available.

Also, I do have a little curiosity if the Ultravid 8x32 could work with my new
super thin eyeglass frames. I still think 13mm will be too short.

I believe there is a certain amount of cultural pre-conditioning when considering the Pocket (or similar compact) as a 'main bin' - i mean, how could you? The thing's so small...it must let you down somewhere, somehow.....
I jumped over that barrier by taking it as my only set on a trip to Portugal last year, and there were no conditions in which i wished i'd taken something larger.

I still have that pre-condition though - sometimes wavering before grabbing it. I've now had it around 15 months, and while i might not choose it for a specific dusk birding session, i am slowly developing the confidence that - for most birders - it may well do you for 95% of your needs.

I've used the 8x25 VP as a main binocular in all birding scenarios - leisure/recreation, incidental when hiking, and field surveys for work, and have never found it wanting.

I find it wanting for one specific thing:
birds in flight. I cannot focus fast enough or even get them into view.

I blame the small dimensions and height of the binocular: it's not as easy to aim with the small pocket (compared to a bigger, longer binocular).
While the focus wheel is fast, I often have the pocket with non-ideal interpupil diameter around my neck and thus have to readjust first.

I didn't test them (yet) in twilight, but I suppose this will be another thing they strugglle a bit (which is perfectly normal for any 8x25).

So I have them, I use them, they are not perfect but they are a firm keeper.
My 7x42 stay at home except for full days of birding, seawatch, difficult circumstances, the 8x25 is always in the car for unforeseen birding but more and more for birding excursions, so in practice I use them 70% of time and that is 70% of birding time without feeling any neck pain!

I find it wanting for one specific thing:
birds in flight. I cannot focus fast enough or even get them into view.

I blame the small dimensions and height of the binocular: it's not as easy to aim with the small pocket (compared to a bigger, longer binocular).
While the focus wheel is fast, I often have the pocket with non-ideal interpupil diameter around my neck and thus have to readjust first.

I didn't test them (yet) in twilight, but I suppose this will be another thing they strugglle a bit (which is perfectly normal for any 8x25).

So I have them, I use them, they are not perfect but they are a firm keeper.
My 7x42 stay at home except for full days of birding, seawatch, difficult circumstances, the 8x25 is always in the car for unforeseen birding but more and more for birding excursions, so in practice I use them 70% of time and that is 70% of birding time without feeling any neck pain!

Perhaps oddly, i've found the opposite - with perhaps the small dimensions and that i place them straight in front of the eye - i've been finding flighted and flitting birds quite easily with them. I think it seems simpler to keep your eye on the bird and just place the bins in front of you with these very, very light bins.

The old CL and new CL b are both 17 ounces. Tonight I'm of the frame of mind to check into the CL b more and , if it's as you and others say , just go with it.
If CL b will work a little better with eyeglasses and the optics are improved it
seems like an obvious choice for the super low weight and the fact I like the CL design in general.

I'm trying to avoid 2 binos and really want to just go with one.
But if I wanted 2, I would go with the new Kowa BD II 6.5x32 as the second bin since
I really like lower power binoculars. The BDII looks very intriguing with its super
wide FOV. I'm curious to read initial reviews of it. There is the small possibility of keeping my
current CL and adding the Kowa 6.5x. This would save me a ton of money.

I'm just not sure what bino to go with and need more time to figure it all out.
I have to sell my ultravid first. I hate to see it go.

for those new classic Trinovids come out. ER is a tad short but so is my CL (15mm) which
surprisingly works for me. 7x35 Trinovid looks great with nice big 5mm exit pupil.

Also, I do have a little curiosity if the Ultravid 8x32 could work with my new
super thin eyeglass frames. I still think 13mm will be too short.

GiGi - You could turn this into quite the dilemma ! being used to the 'alpha' view you may not be easily satisfied with anything less now ...... :cat:

Any new Trinovid is likely to ultimately fall short of UVHD+ /SV levels. The Kowa BD II 6.5x32 will almost certainly perform around it's price point (interesting extra wide angle novelty addition though it might be).

Dropping from your full size bin down to ~32mm class already takes care of the bulk of the weight reduction. To me the Swaro 8x32 SV views like it is a full size bin - it is a standout design. I would say that in terms of throwing them up to your face in snap viewing they are every bit as easy to use as my 5.3mm EP Zens. For reference I have the eye cups all the way down with my Zens and have to press too hard against my glasses to get the full Fov. With the 8x32 SV's I actually have to back the eye cups out about 2mm and can easily get the full Fov and the randpupille design has great 'eyeroamaboutability' too ! (as good as my Zens without glasses on).

You already know how good the view of the SV is, and with 140m Fov you won't lose anything to your Leica either.

I can see by the new CL body design that the actual hold and focusing should be quite comfortable. That wider bridge may in fact work better for resting middle fingers on. I find in general that the combination of large barrel diameter and low weight is my preference. Carefully consider how much tension is placed on your ligaments /tendons etc by having to grip the smaller diameter barrels of the new CL. I think that an ergonomic shootout for you between the SV and new CL would be very informative for you. Check which one is most relaxing over time and gives you the steadiest view.

The optical shootout between the two might be more difficult for the new CL. Already it is giving up some Fov on top of lesser edge sharpness (that sharpness to the edge of the SV does wonders for the feeling of both width AND brightness). Also carefully check the ER of the new CL for you, as well as the margin of error for misalignment axially of the eyes. Invariably when you stumble across some rarity it will be an unexpected snap fleeting glimpse - it is in this situation that ease of view is worth it's weight in gold ! o:) Check other things too such as CA and glare, sweet spot size, as well as the overall impression of sharpness and brightness.

I've had a bit of a squizz at the 2nd hand market, and it seems that 8x32 SV's are as rare as hen's teeth - let alone in tan ! :)
Good luck with the ultimate choice (investment ! :) :t:

Chosun :gh:

Thanks for your input CJ.
I did pay attention to the new CL and EL ergos on Saturday.
They are both comfortable and I think CL a tiny bit more and possibly this
could be due to the thicker bridge as you mention. Being smaller and lighter is
also an advantage of the CL. New CL b handles practically the same as old CL.
I think I prefer the slightly fatter tubes of the old CL , but in general they both
feel very similar. Conquest and EL 32s felt significantly heavier than CL even though
it's just 4 ounces lighter...made a big difference. CL is a whopping 10 ounces or so lighter than
Uvid 7x42. It makes a significant difference in the field.

When trying out all the bins at the store this weekend I was mainly concerned with
weight, handling and ease of view with eyeglasses. Whatever optical differences I noticed between them were things that jumped out and I wasn't looking for. I didn't have a lot of time so I focused on those 3 main things mentioned and I did try them all outside of the store. My allergies were bad especially on Sunday. This whole week I'm experiencing strong symptoms even with meds.
I wasn't feeling it this bad last year.

I do need more time with the CL b for sure. I already know the EL 8X32 as I've tried it several times over the years. El has top level view , great ergonomics ,relatively low weight and best ease of view with glasses and CL very good view (if indeed better than old CL) with great ergo and Super low weight.
So I'll need to decide what I want to give up and/or gain.
There's still ultravid 8x32 curiosity about how it may work with my new glasses.
There's also still Conquest but it's the heaviest and that gives me pause. But it is cheaper than the other 2.

Victory Pocket is not on the table for me and this has all to do with smaller exit pupil and use with eyeglasses. It's very impressive though for a tiny bino.

Last edited:

Hi,

don't hold your breath - even my source at Leica has stopped believing in them coming...
The 7x35 would have been nice... maybe will try the Kowa 6.5x32 when it comes out...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back