• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In-depth coverage of behavior? (1 Viewer)

a.k.a.

Hello BirdForum community,

What have been your experiences with books (or for that matter, DVDs) delving authoritatively into bird behavior? (Authoritative, without costing a fortune, which has become the state of affairs for tomes like the "Handbook of Bird Biology.")

For example, where have you found excellent coverage of ...

1. The fledging and learning process?

2. Nocturnal behavior?

Comments more than welcome on other topics one ought to explore as well!

Thanks to all!

A few titles on behavior

I can recommend a few titles, albeit a bit dated. Although the two by Armstrong are definitely old, the material is still worthwhile reading.

Birds by Night by Martin (1990)
Arena Birds: Sexual Selection and Behavior by Johnsgard (1994)
Bird Display and Behaviour by Armstrong (1947)
Study of Bird Song by Armstrong (1963)
Competition and the Structure of Bird Communities by Cody (1974)
Weather and Bird Behaviour by Elkins (2004)
Life of Birds by Welty (1982)
Bird Behavior by Burton (1985)
Avian Architecture: How Birds Design, Engineer, and Build by Goodfellow (2011)

Jack

An excellent book is 'Ornithology' by Frank B Gill. It is a lot of money but is well worth it and provides a website link to go alongside book. I've not looked on the net but you may get a copy at a reasonable price.

Dean:t:

One additional title that I have not read but which is available as clearance item in NHBS:

A Birders' Guide to the Behaviour of European and North American Birds

Niels

An excellent book is 'Ornithology' by Frank B Gill.
Dean:t:

I second this. We used this textbook for my Ornithology course this spring. It was very informative and presented information very effectively, even for someone new to the subject.

I also enjoyed "The Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behavior". Part 1 gives an overview of basic ornithology including flight, form, function, origins, evolution, classification, behavior, habitats, populations, and conservations. It isn't as in depth or formal as Gill's "Ornithology", but still very informative. Part II covers the bird families of North America with sections on each.

-Josh

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back