• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory SF 8x42: First Impressions (1 Viewer)

HighNorth

Hi everyone!

I picked up my SF 8x42 from the post office today, as it arrived as expected! :t:

Unfortunately, the weather gods have cursed us with overcast and frosty haze today, and now it's way after dark, so I will be commenting more on the optical quality tomorrow.

Let's just say I think the optical quality is really superb so far! B :)

And then on to the most important issues:

Field of view: Just amazingly large and comfy! :-O Although I find it needs a bit of careful eye placement to avoid minor kidney-beaning, your mileage may wary... Other than that: 10/10!

Rolling ball: Could not see any, but I have only been panning inside my (admittedly not too expansive) living room so far. More on this tomorrow!

Edge sharpness: Seems plenty sharp to me, but more on this tomorrow!

Focusing: No real problems with the focuser; it focuses accurately, smoothly and quickly! I like to put both my index finger and middle finger from one hand on the focuser for maximum control and speed, as it may take a bit of effort to turn the wheel with just one finger. There is a slight friction noise when turning the focusing wheel, and although it is a bit annoying, it does not seem to impair the focusing in any way. 9/10

Ergonomics: Just wonderful! They fit my hands perfectly, and are very well balanced. The armouring gives a solid, good grip! The bins are smaller, shorter and lighter than I expected! 10/10

"SF rattle": There is a slight rattle when the bin is held up to the ear and shaken. The gremlin inside seems to do his work like expected! 10/10 :t:

Eyecups: The eyecups turn smootly, and stay down when turned all the way down. They also also stay up when turned all the way up. I haven't been able to locate any click stops though, but I read somewhere that there is a technique to this? As I always keep the eyecups either fully up or fully down, they are satisfactory to me. 10/10

Rainguard: It's made of soft rubber, and fits better than I expected. I don't normally use a rainguard on my other bins though, and probably won't on the SF either. 5/10

Objective covers: They seem to be the right size, and fit perfectly! :t: I would much prefer the individual tethered objective covers found on many other binoculars, including the Swarovski SLC and the Nikon Monarch 7, but the "string fastened" one-piece objective covers on the SF seem to do the job. I attached the string on the front bridge for convenience. 8/10

Carrying case: This is a big dud! Large, over-engineered and bulky. I had trouble fitting the binoculars inside, even when the "convenient" pockets inside the case were empty. I much prefer soft cordura cases, and I found that the SF just about fits in the cordura case of my M7 when the rainguard is removed and the eyecups are turned all the way down. I don't want to bother with the SF carrying case, and think I will hardly ever use it... 0/10

Overall, I give the bins 9/10 so far, because they are really, really good, but nothing is ever perfect! :t:

Last edited:
Thanks binastro!

I might go out and test it in the cold later, if the weather lets up! (It's -20 C at the moment)

NH

Are they really really the bestest in the whole wide world, ever ? The best that ever has been and ever will be ? Just kidding. :king: I bet they are a sight to behold, and I would love to see a pair sometime.:t:

Are they really really the bestest in the whole wide world, ever ? The best that ever has been and ever will be ? Just kidding. :king: I bet they are a sight to behold, and I would love to see a pair sometime.:t:

They are an improvement on my M7s in most ways, if that is any help! ;)

congrats! good buy.
..was it an import or from a norwegian shop?

the carrying bag seems like a big design failure,
zeiss should have stuck with the cordura-bags,
less stylish but more practical,

congrats! good buy.
..was it an import or from a norwegian shop?

the carrying bag seems like a big design failure,
zeiss should have stuck with the cordura-bags,
less stylish but more practical,

Thanks!

It was from a Norwegian shop.

Yeah, the SF bag was a disappointment. But I don't care! ;)

the carrying bag seems like a big design failure, zeiss should have stuck with the cordura-bags, less stylish but more practical

I've got a feeling the leather pouches Zeiss used to make for the Dialyt 7x42 will fit rather well. So, if you ever happen to come across one, try it. I'm not gonna sell you mine though, I may get an SF at some stage myself ... ;) The present bag is IMO simply ridiculous.

The rainguard - once again, I feel the old style rainguards Zeiss made for the Dialyt is better. These are still available, Zeiss still sell them e.g. for the 8x56 or the 7x50. Far more practical than the new rainguards in my opinion. You should be able to get them no problem, either from Zeiss or from the SOF. I saw them in the SOF-Shop on Öland last summer.

Hermann

HighNorth,

The eyecups have first click-stop at 9mm of extension from fully in, and a second and final one at 12mm.

I used a pair outdoors at -8 C for about an hour today, and nothing happened to focus resistance compared to indoor temperatures.

Kimmo

I've got a feeling the leather pouches Zeiss used to make for the Dialyt 7x42 will fit rather well. So, if you ever happen to come across one, try it. I'm not gonna sell you mine though, I may get an SF at some stage myself ... ;) The present bag is IMO simply ridiculous.

The rainguard - once again, I feel the old style rainguards Zeiss made for the Dialyt is better. These are still available, Zeiss still sell them e.g. for the 8x56 or the 7x50. Far more practical than the new rainguards in my opinion. You should be able to get them no problem, either from Zeiss or from the SOF. I saw them in the SOF-Shop on Öland last summer.

Hermann

What about the cordura bags for the FLs? Do you think they would fit too?

HighNorth,

The eyecups have first click-stop at 9mm of extension from fully in, and a second and final one at 12mm.

I used a pair outdoors at -8 C for about an hour today, and nothing happened to focus resistance compared to indoor temperatures.

Kimmo

Okay, I can't feel any click stops, but maybe they are more subtle than those I'm used to on my Monarch 7.

HighNorth,
the click stops can be subtle if you're used to others. When fully extending them gently they should come to a stop, then turn them a bit more and you should hear a light 'clunk' and then they should be locked. For the 'middle' stop, when turning the eyecup out you should feel the first point of resistance resistance and that's when it's locked in place. Once you've discovered them my description should hopefully make sense. If you turn them out too fast you might miss the intermediate one.

HighNorth,
the click stops can be subtle if you're used to others. When fully extending them gently they should come to a stop, then turn them a bit more and you should hear a light 'clunk' and then they should be locked. For the 'middle' stop, when turning the eyecup out you should feel the first point of resistance resistance and that's when it's locked in place. Once you've discovered them my description should hopefully make sense. If you turn them out too fast you might miss the intermediate one.

Thanks Andy! I shall try that! :t:

...Carrying case: This is a big dud! Large, over-engineered and bulky. I had trouble fitting the binoculars inside, even when the "convenient" pockets inside the case were empty. I much prefer soft cordura cases, and I found that the SF just about fits in the cordura case of my M7 when the rainguard is removed and the eyecups are turned all the way down. I don't want to bother with the SF carrying case, and think I will hardly ever use it... 0/10...

I've got a feeling the leather pouches Zeiss used to make for the Dialyt 7x42 will fit rather well. So, if you ever happen to come across one, try it. I'm not gonna sell you mine though, I may get an SF at some stage myself ... ;) The present bag is IMO simply ridiculous...

Based on internet images, that Zeiss SF case looks very similar in design (semi-stiff, semi-clamshell, way oversized with interior pockets) to the one that comes with the full-sized Bushnell Legend Ultra HD models. I presume it is made by the same Chinese manufacturer. Maybe it appeals to folks who want to stuff their bins with strap, harness, fieldguide, and snack in it together.

Yes, I like that leather pouch too. Wonder what it would cost to supply that simple design today? I think they were made in Germany (like the somewhat more fancy leather pouches from Leica of the same vintage), but I suppose Zeiss could go elsewhere today to keep costs down.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back