• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

N E England upland juvenile bird (1 Viewer)

2slo

When I first noticed this juvenile on the Durham moors today it was sat on the farm gate seen below being fed by an adult. My first guess was its a young Dunnock, but on closer inspection the speckled front makes me think not. I didn't want to stay near it as the adult was in a nearby tree and wasn't coming down whilst I was there.

18965579350_247d84e196_h.jpg

Thanks Richard. There were a few Meadow Pipits in the vicinity, the reason I discounted that for this juv was the lack of the distinctive long claws. Not having seen one before though I'll go with that. Perhaps the claws develop as the bird reaches its adult stage?

In your photo the hind claw is hidden of course, but I suppose it's true that in the first couple of weeks after fledging the claws may still have to develop fully.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back