• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

going birding with the pet dog coming along (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

A friend told me that because she always used to take the dog along when she went birding, the dog was actually able to identify different birds.
Is that so? I asked, somewhat sceptically.
Yes, she said. In fact only yesterday when I went down to my local patch, I had the bins out and said to the dog - "Rover, what kind of wader is that over there"?
"Ruff", he replied instantly.

"That's amazing" I said.
"Yes" said my friend. "In fact I have been trying to get my pet cat into birding."
"However the results have not been quite so successful"
"For example when Minnie the pet cat and I went out early yesterday morning to the local patch, I said to Minnie" " 'Minnie can you identify that passerine over there please"?
Replied Minnie "Me, How?"

Very good!

I don't take my dog out with me Birding much, as he is a bit of a liability, but when he does come out with me, he gets triggered and starts growling if he hears the drumming of Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Not Great Spotted, only Lesser!
So, he could potentially be useful in this respect!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back