• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garmin Etrex GPS (1 Viewer)

Geoff Pain

Rural Member
Now and then on Birdguides you get sightings reported with a grid reference.
I have a Garmin Etrex and would like to use the unit for the purpose of finding such sites.My problem is this,I have the unit set for OS Maps and the reference it gives is usually 2 lines of 5 digits.
Example, the refernce for where I live is SD 81481
BNG 65609
The reference usually given on Birdguides is 1 line of 6 digits.Like today, Wood Sandpiper,Fleetwood Ref:SD846573.How would I enter this on my unit? :h?:

Map refs

Hi Geoff,
I don't have those actual maps, but I think the first two numbers of the group of five are just larger numbers and as you have the actual map you would not normally need them if you see what I mean, but the GPS does. Looking along the very top or side of the map you should see where I'm at!
I'll have a look at my GPS/collection of maps and see if I can explain it better.

Good luck,

madmike

Now and then on Birdguides you get sightings reported with a grid reference.
I have a Garmin Etrex and would like to use the unit for the purpose of finding such sites.My problem is this,I have the unit set for OS Maps and the reference it gives is usually 2 lines of 5 digits.
Example, the refernce for where I live is SD 81481
BNG 65609
The reference usually given on Birdguides is 1 line of 6 digits.Like today, Wood Sandpiper,Fleetwood Ref:SD846573.How would I enter this on my unit? :h?:[/QUOTE]

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back