• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Albatross Any Books About (1 Viewer)

django

django
I have been reading about the plight of the Albatross and wondered if there are any books about this bird,and if anyone has ever seen one, boy that would be something I would be grateful for any info,

django said:
I have been reading about the plight of the Albatross and wondered if there are any books about this bird,and if anyone has ever seen one, boy that would be something I would be grateful for any info,

Can't help with the books BUT..I saw one in New Zealand in 1999...they are BIG!!!!!

Have not come across such books. There is one in print.

Eye of the Albatross: Visions of Hope and Survival
Carl Safina

But I think you will have some luck with sea birds...or maybe not. For instance
Birds of the ocean;: A handbook for voyagers, containing escriptions of all the sea-birds of the world, with notes on their habits and guides to their identification
by W. B Alexander
which is out of print
or
Watching sea birds
by Richard Perry

Search your online bookstores for more titles.

Last edited:
django said:

Alabtrosses and Petrels Across the World...Brooke. Hardback. £95.00

Available from Birding World et al.

John.

Albatrosses by Tickell is newish, up to date and includes details on current taxonomy, which has changed a lot recently

Tim

Attachments

• FG49.jpg
    FG49.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
django said:
Give a few details that must have given you a real buzz,how big,are they as awsome as they look in the photos

We were actually out on a Whale Watch and only saw the one Albatross. It was a fair way away from the boat so I am not sure what sort it was. It looked like a huge Great Black Backed Gull.
The people that do the whale watch also do a bird trip...have a look here http://www.oceanwings.co.nz/albatross/ocean_slideshow/

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back