• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beg. Book for Wash. State?? (1 Viewer)

Abbygirl

Hi, I'm going to Washington state this summer and wondering if anybody here has any suggestions for beginner book suggestions for Washington State for Bird Water Beginners? I'm going over to the Lake Chelan (Cental Washington) Is where I normally go when I go to washington or even the Seattle area. These are the only 2 places that I go when I go to Washington. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Joyce

ps the one I have for oregon is:
1) Birds of Oregon (Orange book) by stan telaika (sp)
2) Birds of the willamette valley (red book) (author not sure)

Last edited:
I'm going to Washington state for the first time in August. I've noticed a few book while browsing Amazon.com that may interest you:
Birds of Washington State - by Brian H. Bell, Shane Kennedy
I've got the Georgia book in this series, and it is very good. If this one is done in the same format, then the distribution and "where to find" sections should be helpful. The illustrations are good, but there aren't as many as in the regular field guides (ie, it doesn't always show both breeding and non-breeding plumage)

Washington also has one of the small books by Stan Tekiela.

Personally, I'm just going to use the Western Sibley guide. I've got all the major NA field guides, and the Sibley guides are my favorite. But regardless of which one you use - Sibley, Nat Geo, Kaufman, etc - I would recommend carrying one of these major field guides into the field with you. They usually include all the species that you could possibly see, and in most if not all of their plumage variations.

Thank you. I got the Birds of WASH. Field guide State for my neice (for her birthday). She'll be in the 4th grade So I think she'll understand that book the best better then the sibley guide and then if she really get's into birding i'll get her a sibley guide. I haven't even gotten a sibley's guide yet. I hope to one day. Now I know which Sibley's guide to get!!

I also have a Stan T. Book the Birds of Oregon I love How he makes his books very easy for beginners I think!!
Thanks for your recommondation.
Joyce

I have this
National Geographic Field Guide to Birds: Washington/Oregon (NG Field Guide to Birds) by Jonathan Alderfer (Paperback - Mar 21, 2006)
List $14.95

It is slightly better than the Stan Tekiela books, though also limited. It has no maps, but in words describes where the bird is found, sometimes very specific hints of a valley or coast or park where found.

Bird songs are not described.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back