• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying Help (1 Viewer)

Mhg

I do not think you will be disappointed with the Monarch HG, let us know what your observations are.

Andy W.

Attachments

• DSCF2379.jpg
    DSCF2379.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 98
I think the Monarch HG 8X42 will be a great choice for you. My prediction is you are going to like it a LOT.

I find B&H prices on used or demos on the high side, and does it have the Warranty?

Andy W.

Yes, B&H is a little pricey on used, Adorama is often better. But you can trust their condition ratings (and Adorama's). All used is 30-day no-questions return (same condition, etc.) and 90-day parts & labor warranty. At least, that's my understanding.

The only other options are the current auction (ends in 1 day, at $355 now, but that doesn't mean much) and new imports for about $890 from Japan. As this is for an Aussie purchaser, I don't think the import distinction is important. And with shipping, the cost of shipping (much less exercising the B&H warranty) might make it non-competitive with the $890 news.

Marc

I find B&H prices on used or demos on the high side, and does it have the Warranty?

Andy W.

What does a new warranty look like in Australia? International warranty is 10 years on manufacturing issues.
I am on the lookout for a new set and considered that used one at B&H, but it would mean giving up the excellent (though non transferable) warranty in North America. So may hold off till I can get a new copy for a good price. The MHG looks to be a compelling option. Great value and quality from all the reviews and opinions so far. Most likely, I'll be getting the same set as you've decided to get a Monarch HG but in 10x42.

Last edited:
What does a new warranty look like in Australia? International warranty is 10 years on manufacturing issues.
I am on the lookout for a new set and considered that used one at B&H, but it would mean giving up the excellent (though non transferable) warranty in North America. So may hold off till I can get a new copy for a good price. The MHG looks to be a compelling option. Great value and quality from all the reviews and opinions so far. Most likely, I'll be getting the same set as you've decided to get a Monarch HG but in 10x42.

Thelimited lifetime warranty only applies to the original purchaser and is not transferable. So the best you could do is find a open box deal from a reseller that will include all the warranty information (like B&H, Adorama, etc.). Any used will not be covered.

I believe they will repair anything, just with a cost. You should email their optics support for the details.

In regards to the International warranty, I know for camera lenses that only applies in the US if you purchased the foreign lens _in_person_ while visiting a foreign country and from an authorized Nikon dealer in that country. It does not cover gray market imports that are shipped into the US. So, when I go to Japan, I'll buy a Nikon lens cheaper (assuming my company is paying the travel costs!), but if I buy one on-line Nikon USA will not service it. Maybe sports optics are different. You can send nikon optics service a request and they can spell it out for you. That is what I did for Nikon lenses.

Marc

So after a decent tax return and the Australian Government handing out a bit of "free" money I decided to buy the Swaro 8x32s.
Haven't got them yet but I will let you know my thoughts when I do.
:)
Brendan

Last edited:
So after a decent tax return and the Australian Government handing out a a bit of "free" money I decided to buy the Swaro 8x32s.
Haven't got them yet but I will let you know my thoughts when I do.
:)
Brendan

That's a great choice!

So they arrived. I have had a play but not in the field yet.
All I can say is wow wow wow. They are incredible

I am not a binocular tech talker so this will be pretty basic and while its not a binocular vs a binocular post I can only compare against a $200 AUD pair of Bushnell Trophy 10x42 that I have.

What I like:
The Swaros are super bright.
The image is pin sharp
FOV is fantastic.
The eye cups have a few positions.
The diopter has alot more positions than I am used too.
The strap is quality as are its attachments to the body
The case is quality
The covers, particularly the objective lens. They actually stay on (Bushnells are terrible)
Image is sharp to the edge. Bushnells have only about 60% but still not as sharp in the middle. I could read a shop sign from 500m easier with the 8x than the 10x.
CA is non existent to me.
Close focus is great. I had a flower that I got more detail out of and stood out against the background better.
The thumb grooves at the back are spot on for me.
They cradle in my hands perfectly. I did think they may be too small but nope.
The weight is about 180g less than the Bushnells

Dislike:
Honestly none

I expected them to be better than what I had and damn they should be for the price so I had high expectations. I wasn't let down.

Its not fair to say the Bushnells are rubbish and as I mentioned before its not a A vs B post. They are manufactured for a certain price point. They aren't as far behind as I thought they would be so I would be lying to say the Swaros are 12x as good as the Bushnell.

What you get for your money are the "little extras" that make the experience really good.

If you are in the same position as I was on post #1 I hope this thread will help.
If can afford them, get them as you won't be let down.

Now to find some birds.

Cheers
Brendan

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back