• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 7 / 8 x 42 EDG experiences sought (1 Viewer)

Perhaps JG, you can go to work for Nikon and get those high end optics to market.
It is quite obvious, the sport optics division at Nikon is minuscule compared to their camera/lens division, not a priority for them. They do make, when they do, some of the finest optics in the world.

Andy W.

OK, try this one...maybe you can keep from getting your feelers hurt.

I attended SCi and DSC hunting and outdoor shows for over 10 years, and still attend DSC. These shows draw 50,000+ attendees and several hundred exhibitors from all over the world to pitch their wares, including Swarovski, Zeiss, Leupold, S&B, Leica, Vortex, Meopta, and Nikon. All the big boys in the optics world are there with their elaborate booths and exhibits. I have yet to see the first Nikon EDG anything in the Nikon booth. They have most every other product they make there, but no EDG had ever graced the display of the Nikon booth. I don't care if you know diddly crap about marketing, a 6th grader can deduce with 100% certainty that this is NOT the way to get the public interested in your high $$$ product, or any product for that matter. By contrast I saw the first Swarovision at SCI in Las Vegas a few months before anyone even had one for sale.

Don't worry about my feelings. Here is what you ignored about Nikon since 2011.

Assume you were Nikon's Marketing Chief after the Tsunami in 2011 hit Sendai, home of Nikon's flagship manufacturing facility.

How would you have handled Nikon's marketing problems and prioritized them?

https://petapixel.com/2011/03/11/ts...ndai-home-to-major-nikon-manufacturing-plant/

Give some thought to the issues of what to prioritize and remember that you have a 100 year anniversary coming up.

You may not know squat about marketing but you are the king of making excuses. Does that tsunami explain why Nikon's CS and marketing people don't even agree to this very day what their warranty is on the Laserforce bino/rf units? I have emails.

Seems pretty funny to me that Nikon managed to market everything except the best optic they've ever made in spite of that storm. Did that tsunami cause Nikon's marketing experts to cripple the EDG by giving it one of the worst warranties known to an alpha optic? The EDG and Leica own that gem all by themselves.

dries1, you'll get no argument out of me....they do make some of the best optics in the world, they just need to hire someone who has a clue how to sell them for a reason other than price. I've never known a soul who paid retail for an EDG, and YES, I'd still like to have one. When we were small time outfitters, over a 15 year period, we had over 150 "guests" in various camps. I never saw the first EDG brought in by one of them, either bino or spotter. Swaro dominated.

I think the main reason why Nikon sport optics is not selling well is because of the 1 year warranty period offered in Asia. I was with Nikon from 2010-2012 and had a lot of discussion regarding this with the HQ people in Japan. But in the end, after my cooperation with them ended in July 2012, the warranty still the same until now.

In my place, last time, it was dominated by Nikon sport optics. Cheaper prices etc especially with the Monarch series model. This is because, at that time, we could not afford to pay for the Big 3. But once Minox started to market themselves here, plus better warranty and similar prices like Nikon, some of the nature guides decided to changed to Minox. But eventually, now mostly uses Swarovski EL here.

I used to have Monarch 10x42, HG 8x32 and also SE 8x32. I tried the 10x42 EDG for few month but could not justify the value over after sales service by Nikon because of the warranty period compared with other brands. My favourite was the SE. Plus Nikon Fieldscope ED82, ED50 and EDG85 with 2 eyepieces for digiscoping from an offer which I couldn't resist that time hahaha. In the end I sold those and switched to Swarovski Optik.

Now I uses 10x42 and 8x32 EL with 8x30 CL by Swarovski and no regret since...

Last edited:
I've never known a soul who paid retail for an EDG, and YES, I'd still like to have one. When we were small time outfitters, over a 15 year period, we had over 150 "guests" in various camps. I never saw the first EDG brought in by one of them, either bino or spotter. Swaro dominated.

The EDG 7x42 has more or less disappeared from the retail market now. This week I have found one new with a retailer for 2000.00 euro, and Nikon Service Europe (Dostal & Rudolf) are offering a refurb for 1500.00 for which the refurbished product warranty is 1 (one) year!

1500 euro / one year warranty ... :smoke:

The EDG 7x42 has more or less disappeared from the retail market now. This week I have found one new with a retailer for 2000.00 euro, and Nikon Service Europe (Dostal & Rudolf) are offering a refurb for 1500.00 for which the refurbished product warranty is 1 (one) year!

If any one is interested in the 7x42:
Intercon-Spacetec currently has an EDG 7x42 on offer for 1‘699 € !!
https://www.intercon-spacetec.de/fe...g/natur/284-nikon-edg-fernglas-7x42-dcf-.html

In the US on Ebay the Japanese have ton's of listings for Nikon EDG's in any size you want including 7x42, 8x42 and 10x42 for $1500.00 to $1700.00. Sometimes they will be as low as $1200.00 new if you watch because a seller get's aggressive every once in a while. I bought one and wasn't that impressed with it because of the comparatively small AFOV for a 7x and I thought it not as bright as some of the other alpha's like Swarovski's. I returned it and the Japanese seller tried to keep $500.00 for a restocking charge I guess so I called Ebay and they gave me a FULL refund in about 15 minutes!

I thought that was a 10X32 with an issue with a focus wheel, You had bought an EDG 7X42 used for cheap, then you sold that one...

Andy W.

Andy. You are correct. I buy and sell so many binoculars I lose track of them. I sold the EDG 7x42 because IMO it wasn't as bright as my Swarovski's nor was the AFOV that impressive. It was just kind of a BLAH binocular with no WOW factor. The 10x32 EDG had an issue with too much play in the focus wheel which is rare for an EDG because usually they have an excellent focuser so that was the one I returned and the seller tried to deduct $500.00 from my refund. He didn't say a word he just deducted $500.00 from the purchase price. My Swarovski Habicht 7x42 doesn't have that big of an AFOV either but it makes up for it by being very bright and sharp. The Habicht 7x42 even with the narrow FOV is WOW because it is so bright. The 95% transmission I guess.

Last edited:
I have three 7X glass, NVA DF 7X40, Docter 7X40 (Both IF), and the Meostar 7X42, the DF though the oldest glass/not phase coated, provides the most expansive view. The Meoptas are all I really need in a central focus glass

Andy W.

The 42 EDGs - 7x, 8x or 10x - can safely be called „premium material“ in my view.

Here is a brief „armchair response“ (meaning as lazy as can be) to an armchair query ;)

In 2015, I did a comparative review of the premium market of binoculars:
https://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,426194 (sorry, all in German unfortunately)

and concluded by saying very briefly:

„- If you are looking for the widest field of view and excellent ergonomics, choose the SF
- If you want the sharpest possible image, both on and off axis, choose the EL SV
- If you are looking for the best straylight suppression and a compact format, choose the EDG
- The best center-sharpness / brightness and solid handling can be found in the HT
- If you are looking for proven mechanics and nice color saturated image, choose the HD Plus.“

I think choosing a premium bino has often more to do with personal preferences than with real substantial performance differences.

The EDG is the „oldest“ among the current top binoculars, and it doesn’t look as if Nikon is going to do an update anytime soon, but still today, the EDG doesn‘t have to hide from its newer competitors.

Details under the link mentioned above.

Just my 2 ct.

Canip

Canip,

8-9 months on and after having tried out all sorts of 7-8-10x binoculars from the top four I think your 'brief armchair response (meaning as lazy as can be) to an armchair query' is exactly right.

I bought the 7x42 EDG and it matches your summary. Also there have been chances to try out and/or buy offerings from the other three i.e. Germanic manufacturers. In the meantime I forgot about your post (sorry!) but having just chanced back on it everything you put matches my own findings. The two makes/models that are literally and in other ways at different ends of the spectrum are the UVHD Plus and the EL SV which on a good day I appreciate respectively for 3D with saturated warm colour (Leica) and for cooler tones and incredible overall sharpness (Swaro); on a day when I feel less optimistic the same glass annoys me for just a touch less sharpness (Leica - imagined or real?)and more glare (Swaro). The Nikon is exactly as you say with a very easy, pure view and very solid manufacture - those eyecup barrels and the focus. The HT helps the image with top AK brightness while the SF has an FOV up there with a 7x binocular.

Back to the Nikon, the worry about service and parts is a real one but maybe this is one item I will not take in the car or in bad weather but keep and cosset for easy days wandering locally or for use from the window. Today a larger than usual variety and number of birds were out and about in and near the garden and focusing on them with the EDG was so easy it felt like silent wave autofocus!

Thanks again for the summary. All the makes have their strong points as you say and I can see why many are Swaro fans as regardless of other factors / traits they are just so out and out razor sharp and well set up.

(2 linguistic questions after reading your Kurzvergleich 8x40 Premiumklasse - great translation practice: how do you translate 'ja' when used inside a phrase, and has the Eszett / Scharfes S been universally ditched now after spelling reform or do many/most/just a few still use it? If you have a moment, feel free to message me privately if this is too far removed from FG topics!)

Tom

Last edited:
Glad you're enjoying your EDG Tom.
For me, in my experience, my 8x32 EDG are the ultimate (birding) binoculars. While it may be apples and oranges, I also have an UV HD+ 7x42 which while very good is in my opinion not nearly as good as my EDG.
Future service aside if I had the finances I'd be buying an 8x42 EDG right now as unnecessary as it may be considering how content I am with my 8x32.
The EDG is sharp with a focus that snaps in, brilliant colour balance and contrast, great glare resistance, excellent ease of view and handling. It really impresses me everytime I use them.

Glad you're enjoying your EDG Tom.
For me, in my experience, my 8x32 EDG are the ultimate (birding) binoculars. While it may be apples and oranges, I also have an UV HD+ 7x42 which while very good is in my opinion not nearly as good as my EDG.
Future service aside if I had the finances I'd be buying an 8x42 EDG right now as unnecessary as it may be considering how content I am with my 8x32.
The EDG is sharp with a focus that snaps in, brilliant colour balance and contrast, great glare resistance, excellent ease of view and handling. It really impresses me everytime I use them.

Dave,

Tempting but I am drawing a line on purchases - how many times have I broken that decision? ;-) At the moment as you may have seen from a post elsewhere my 7x42 UVHD+ is finally set up right - never quite set the dioptre right and it robbed the image of some sharpness, so it was just OK rather than VG. No doubt Leica may not be as sharp even in the centre as Swaro but now it looks pretty amazing. But if there arose a chance to try the other remaining EDGs before buying I would. Ordering the 7x42 EDG meant being committed to the purchase; there was no option to return it unless faulty goods.

Tom

Dave,

Tempting but I am drawing a line on purchases - how many times have I broken that decision? ;-) At the moment as you may have seen from a post elsewhere my 7x42 UVHD+ is finally set up right - never quite set the dioptre right and it robbed the image of some sharpness, so it was just OK rather than VG. No doubt Leica may not be as sharp even in the centre as Swaro but now it looks pretty amazing. But if there arose a chance to try the other remaining EDGs before buying I would. Ordering the 7x42 EDG meant being committed to the purchase; there was no option to return it unless faulty goods.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I actually took the 7x42 out today partially inspired by your post. Only used it for about an hour but managed to spy a female whipbird tucked away in the scrub.
I hear you about the purchasing thing. If I could I would have skipped the UV HD+ 7x42 and picked up an EDG 8x42.
Anyway, spoilt for choice really and the 8x32 is just such a clear winner that I'm happy to have it.

Hi Tom,

I actually took the 7x42 out today partially inspired by your post. Only used it for about an hour but managed to spy a female whipbird tucked away in the scrub.
I hear you about the purchasing thing. If I could I would have skipped the UV HD+ 7x42 and picked up an EDG 8x42.
Anyway, spoilt for choice really and the 8x32 is just such a clear winner that I'm happy to have it.

It's good when you find consistently that one glass is the one. What I've been finding is that in my little collection they all have different great features and also different flaws and you just have to enjoy them for what they are. Ones that stand out? At the moment the 7x42 UVHD Plus; always the 7x42 Dialyt ClassiC (if not wanting close focus or mega-rainproof qualities); and utterly different from the Leica with a different wow factor the 8x32 EL SV/FP - crazy clear image but not as 'immersive' which is a good word used for the Leica. The Nikon is fantastic but I may need to reset the dioptre on that now to truly get the best from it!

Others I won't bore you with but that's how it strikes me this week. That 8x32 of yours must be something never to part with. The Dialyt continues to surprise me. Possibly the best balance and grip of all and utterly easy view. Recently serviced to even out the focus resistance and the colours are easy company.

Last edited:
It's getting late into the afternoon/evening, been quite hot here considering its mid spring (around 35c). Still using the UV and to sound completely hypocritical they really are nice and performing well, as they should, in the fading light.
Let's just say I'm happy to have the EDG and UV, also regarding your comments about enjoying various pairs I can completely relate about enjoying their eccentricities. Fortunately with the EDG and UV+ there's very little shortfall.
I must say that I'm very prone to the colour balance and contrast of the EDG and the two different Leica I have.

Last edited:
It's getting late into the afternoon/evening, been quite hot here considering its mid spring (around 35c). Still using the UV and to sound completely hypocritical they really are nice and performing well, as they should, in the fading light.
Let's just say I'm happy to have the EDG and UV, also regarding your comments about enjoying various pairs I can completely relate about enjoying their eccentricities. Fortunately with the EDG and UV+ there's very little shortfall.
I must say that I'm very prone to the colour balance and contrast of the EDG and the two different Leica I have.

Do you find those three pretty close to each other colourwise? Comparing my Leica and Nikon 7x42 I'd say they are but the Leica is a bit bolder if anything.

Do you find those three pretty close to each other colourwise? Comparing my Leica and Nikon 7x42 I'd say they are but the Leica is a bit bolder if anything.

Now you've got me thinking. It's quite late here currently so without a side by side test and going from memory I'd say the Trinovid BR is a touch warmer than the UV+. How this compares to the EDG? Well I'd say the EDG is bolder (more vivid?) than the UV+ due to its saturation and contrast. I guess it's currently hard to say but regarding the EDG and UV+ you could call them close in the sense that they display very natural colour that is vivid with a slightly warmer tone.
For my eyes I really enjoy the colours of the EDG (and Leica), that is all I can say with certainty at the moment.
I like your comment about the view being immersive, a good term to describe both the EDG and UV+.
I may return later after some side by side comparison for further comment.

Now you've got me thinking. It's quite late here currently so without a side by side test and going from memory I'd say the Trinovid BR is a touch warmer than the UV+. How this compares to the EDG? Well I'd say the EDG is bolder (more vivid?) than the UV+ due to its saturation and contrast. I guess it's currently hard to say but regarding the EDG and UV+ you could call them close in the sense that they display very natural colour that is vivid with a slightly warmer tone.
For my eyes I really enjoy the colours of the EDG (and Leica), that is all I can say with certainty at the moment.
I like your comment about the view being immersive, a good term to describe both the EDG and UV+.
I may return later after some side by side comparison for further comment.

That will be interesting to read if you do. 'Immersive' is definitely not my invention; I think it's a word used by a few other posters and yes I think it's more descriptive than just saying 3D but I suppose they mean much the same thing! After doing all sorts of routine tasks today in town I popped into the local dealer and had a play with a Leica 10x42 BN. Also great colours but looking through the wrong way round i.e. as a sort of minifying glass you could see the collimation was out. Still had the immersive effect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back