• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wintering hummingbird (1 Viewer)

streatham said:
Also bobky if it was an Allen's I think you would find yourself with the first Allen's hummingbird record for Kentucky - I would try and get some serious opinions on the bird if I were you.
Of course if it does turn out to be KY's first Allen's, you'll have 500 KY birders knocking on your door to see it!

(That's the bad news - the good news is that you'll be instantly famous in the state's birding circles, and granted prime viewing at any other rare birds that turn up)

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Of course if it does turn out to be KY's first Allen's, you'll have 500 KY birders knocking on your door to see it!

(That's the bad news - the good news is that you'll be instantly famous in the state's birding circles, and granted prime viewing at any other rare birds that turn up)

Michael

streatham and Micheal,

Thank you; I have been
in email contact with Stacey Petterson. My wife is happy thinking it is a Rufous and she is doing her utmost to keep the little bird alive. I'm doing my best to learn photograhy using this little bird as a subject. Our winter guest is still here after a night of -13C. Cheers,bob

Attachments

• 23jan04ad.jpg
    23jan04ad.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 178
late hummers

bobky said:
Is it true that hummingbirds only exist in the Americas? None in Europe? You are missing a special treat if you have never seen one in flight.

We have a little (Rufous?) wintering over here in Kentucky, which is very rare. The weather is expected to start getting well below freezing temperatures at night, so I hope for the best.

This picture was taken out our kitchen window today, 4 Jan 2004,with a Panasonic FZ1 camera (12x optical zoom).
For the past two falls we have had lateRufous hummingbirds in central Ohio. This year's bird was posted on Ohio Birds until early December then fell off the site. The Spanish refered to them as flying jewels after they arrived in N America.My wife plants her garden deliberatly with flowers for the hummers Morning glory and Trumpet flower.
Happy Humming
Sam

Any chance you can get a photo with the tail spread?

That's what's needed to clinch the difference between Rufous and Allen's, as they have different shape tail feathers.

Michael

Thanks Beverly and Swift,

To give everybody an idea of just how small these birds are, this morning I placed a golf ball just below the feeder. A golf ball is 1.680 inches (42.67 mm). Cheers,bob

Attachments

• 24Jan04.jpg
    24Jan04.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 120
Michael,

She is not very cooperative when it comes to showing her tail feathers ♥
Cheers,bob

Attachments

• 24janb.jpg
    24janb.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Attachments

• 24jan04d.jpg
    24jan04d.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 102
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the extra pic!

Grousemore said:
Great photo again,Bob,but I don't believe anyone can differentiate between Rufous/Allen's on this evidence!
Not yet, but if Bob can snap a pic with the tail fully fanned, it should be possible. Otherwise, if someone from one of the hummer study groups can catch & band it . . .

Michael

Michael,

You ever been married? SOMEBODY ♀ doesn't want to disturb the bird by banding it...

I'll keep trying to get a tail feather shot. These birds are small. very FAST and don't like to stay in one place very long. Cheers,bob

Attachments

• 24jan04f.jpg
    24jan04f.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 107
I can't think of anyone who'd want to stay in any one place very long in this cold!

We've got another storm with ice and sleet predicted for tomorrow afternoon and night, with it being worse south of us. Hope it doesn't range as far south as you, Bob!

Can't convince the wife that banding the bird would contribute to science? And that if it's an Allen's, you'd be at least semi-famous in birding circles?

Oh well, at least you seem to be having a good time trying to get the tail feather picture!

Humming birds in England. (In captivity)

We went South a couple of years ago, and found an visitors centre which had Hummers flying around in a large heated greenhouse. I took one or two photos' as one would, but for the life of me, I cannot remember where it was. We did visit Alton Towers at the time, but I do not think it was part of there.
Must be getting old and forgetful.

Malky @ Westhill, I think.

Thanks Beverly and alcedo.atthis,

Yes, the ice strorm is coming here too. Wish I had a large heated greenhouse to put her in.

The camera's flash reflected off her neck feathers in an interesting display;photo taken yesterday. Cheers,bob

Attachments

• 24janh.jpg
    24janh.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 143
She is like the US postal service motto:" “And neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night..." We had about 6mm of ice yesterday,but she is still here today.

Attachments

• 26jan03b.jpg
    26jan03b.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 116
Excellent! What a survivor!

The latest pic shows I reckon just enough detail on the outer tail feather (as it is not quite preened neatly up against the others) to see that it is fairly broad. That makes it Rufous, not Allen's (where the outermost tail feather is very narrow).

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Excellent! What a survivor!

The latest pic shows I reckon just enough detail on the outer tail feather (as it is not quite preened neatly up against the others) to see that it is fairly broad. That makes it Rufous, not Allen's (where the outermost tail feather is very narrow).

Michael

Good catch Michael !! It is almost 15C today,sunny and all the ice has melted. What a difference a day makes...Cheers,bob

Attachments

• 26jan03c.jpg
    26jan03c.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 125
Yesterday morning the little bird got tangled in the plastic sheeting we are using to cover the feeder from the rain and snow. My wife gently lifted her out of the tangle and held her in an open hand;the bird sat there for about two minutes,then flew off. She returned a few minutes later to start feeding again.

Last night it snowed about 1 inch/25mm again and the temp was 12F/-11C when I took this picture this morning, about 20 minutes before sunrise. She is a survivor!!
Cheers,bob

Attachments

• 30jan04s.jpg
    30jan04s.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 99
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back