• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's the weather doing where you are? Aug-Nov 2008 (1 Viewer)

Same as Wendy, the sun shone for 5mins this morning, but at least it's been dry enough to peg out the bedding.

The garden almost devoid of Birds today apart from the H'Sparrows & Magpie.
Yesterday I could have listed a dozen different species! :h?:

Very humid tonight with no breeze coming through the open windows.
(not nice)

After a very warm night (min 17C), the grey has gone and the sun is shining!:DPleasant SE breeze should keep the temperatures feeling OK.

Off to hang out some washing and see what birds are about....5 blackies is all so far!

It was very humid overnight, but today is glorious. Hot sunshine, blue skies, 25c.

Does anyone else find it muggy, and warm, or is it just me?

No, I'm suffering too :smoke: I'm not a hot weather person at all!!! When it gets too hot I just end up all sticky and sweaty and grumpy and Neil avoids me at all costs :-O

Today has been pretty warm but overcast and by 7pm it was really nice - cool and looking as though a mist was about to descend. Forecast for tomorrow is rather wet :-O I'm stuck at work from 6am until 12.30pm so not bothered what the weather throws at us ;)

No, I'm suffering too :smoke: I'm not a hot weather person at all!!! When it gets too hot I just end up all sticky and sweaty and grumpy and Neil avoids me at all costs :-O

Today has been pretty warm but overcast and by 7pm it was really nice - cool and looking as though a mist was about to descend. Forecast for tomorrow is rather wet :-O I'm stuck at work from 6am until 12.30pm so not bothered what the weather throws at us ;)

Charming!o:D:-O

A similiar day to yours, Gill!

I don't mind the heat as long as the sun shines with it!

Very warm with some breaks in the cloud this afternoon, saw a newspaper headline saying "9 days of heavy rain due starting tomorrow" eek!

A whopping big Gull startled me as it hovered over the breadcrumbs just a metre from where I was sitting. It's wingspan was enormous.
Sadly, it didn't touch base so my garden Bird list remains at 28 species.
Tantalizingly close to 30! |:d|

Low cloud here, a few spots of rain. During my morning walk my trouser bottoms got wet through in the heavy dew but I saw a Small Copper butterfly, a first for me, so the wet trousers didn't really matter. 18.5C.

Well, I was right about the mist - it was pretty thick at 6am this morning.

It got sunny and very warm as the morning progressed and as I was leaving the shop at 12.45pm there were a few big drops of rain but it hasn't lasted. It's slightly grey, muggy and hardly any wind at the moment *2.04pm* The forecast IS for thunderstorms but whether we'll get them is another thing :smoke: I've been up here for four years now and we hardly ever get a decent storm nowadays! NOT FAIR!!!!!! :C

It is dull and muggy here at the moment

The rain is stopping and starting here a bit

Glad we tidied the garden yesterday and got some weeding done.

So we are staying indoors today.

Kathy
x

So near yet so far, Pie! Hope you get your 30 soon!:t:

Great news with the Small Copper, Bea!:t:

Gill, you are welcome to the storms! Fortunately we only the have rain at present!o:D

The weather at home early this morning was fairly decent, broken cloud and very mild. Around 7.30am a drive taking no longer than 20 minutes away to Upton Warren told a different story! A blanket of heavy mist/fog! Pics to prove it!o:D The rain was very heavy later on in the morning!

Attachments

• P1270962.JPG
    P1270962.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 19
  • P1270977.JPG
    P1270977.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 18
  • P1270980.JPG
    P1270980.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 22
  • P1270986.JPG
    P1270986.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 22
  • P1270967.JPG
    P1270967.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 19
Well the rain started at 3pm! It's been on and off (mostly on!) since then - quite heavy at times. It's still very warm though and I've had the windows open and it's been nice to hear the pitter-patter of rain on the leaves of the nearby trees. The birds are very quiet mind - I think they've gone into shelter :-O No sign of thunder or lightning though :smoke: Knowing MY luck we'll probably have an absolute humdinger of a storm tonight after I go to bed and I'll sleep right through it :smoke: It's happened before!

Great pics Pam - very atmospheric and autumnal :t:

Is it me though or does autumn seem to have arrived early this year? Yesterday I was walking home from the shops and there were quite a few leaves already on the pavements - it just seems early to me :h?: I need to start keeping a daily nature diary rather than just jotting down the first/last migrants/flowers/mammal sightings etc |:$| I've been meaning to for years but never gotten around to it!!! :stuck:

Just started to thunder here and it has got very dark and depressing.

Typical thundery weather. :eek!:

Kathy
x

Today we have been to London for the day and drove up there in thick fog and heavy rain, had more heavy rain for most of the day, had a teeny bit of sun in the afternoon, then more torrential rain. Coming back on the motorway was horrendous - huge rivers of water, lots of spray and such heavy rain.

Well the rain started at 3pm! It's been on and off (mostly on!) since then - quite heavy at times. It's still very warm though and I've had the windows open and it's been nice to hear the pitter-patter of rain on the leaves of the nearby trees. The birds are very quiet mind - I think they've gone into shelter :-O No sign of thunder or lightning though :smoke: Knowing MY luck we'll probably have an absolute humdinger of a storm tonight after I go to bed and I'll sleep right through it :smoke: It's happened before!

Great pics Pam - very atmospheric and autumnal :t:

Is it me though or does autumn seem to have arrived early this year? Yesterday I was walking home from the shops and there were quite a few leaves already on the pavements - it just seems early to me :h?: I need to start keeping a daily nature diary rather than just jotting down the first/last migrants/flowers/mammal sightings etc |:$| I've been meaning to for years but never gotten around to it!!! :
stuck:

Thanks, Gill!

At the reserve I visited this morning there were almost carpets of leaves in places! Cold nights are the culprit I reckon!

Sounds as though you need a PA to keep your diary for you!:-O

The rain ceased around 7.00pm this evening! What a mixture of weather today! Cloudy, foggy, heavy persistent rain, mild and later a beautiful sunset to end the daylight hours!

Last edited:
According to meteorologists it is the first day of Autumn today!

Now I remember Spring very well but cannot recall the Summer! Weird!:eek!:

Sunny spells and plenty of birds on and around the feeders today.

Happy Autumnal birding all.:t:

Bright and sunny here at the moment. o:)

There has been overcast threats or two, but hey ho that is the UK weather as it is.

Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back