• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today's Visitors (1 Viewer)

Yes, Baz. The muntjac and the roe both eat our plants!

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Hi Kits.
It might be a struggle for me to decide, 'plants or deer', but plants might just win out, though I haven't a clue how I'd sort the problem. Thank heavens I haven't got it.

Baz.

LOL Baz! We compromise. The back garden is out of bounds, but they are free to munch at the front.

I have got to admit I will not forget the day my OH and I lovingly planted a load of pansies (deep purple and bright yellow ones) in our 2 large cement troughs just outside our lounge window (this was in rural Scotland)

Next morning we woke up and there was not a single flower left attached to the pansies, but the stems remained :eek!:

Our one thought was it may have been deer, the other hungry bunnies - we never solved the mystery to this day. :eek!:
We had Muntjac deer along the country road closeby, so she did have our concerns. Must have been a dawn raid!.

We never shut of gate to our drive, but after this incident we did. Not to say that deer would find another way in over our low wall anyhow if they wanted to.

So it shows that living in a remote area has got it's drawbacks. ;)

Hope that it is OK to add my visitors today to your thread, Kits.

The Pied Wagtail and the Coal Tit were the only two I managed to capture, but there were Blackbirds, Blue and Great Tits, Woodies, Chaffinches, Starlings, Sparrows, singles of Collared Dove, Dunnock, Robin and Greenfinch.

The Coal Tit is on one of the sunflower seed heads I grew in the summer, the Pied Wagtail is posing on the edge of the front lawn!

Attachments

• Coal Tit 1.jpg
    Coal Tit 1.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Coal Tit 2.jpg
    Coal Tit 2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Pied Wagtail.jpg
    Pied Wagtail.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 43
It's a pleasure to see your visitors too, Wendy, and I would hope that anyone and everyone feels free to add pics if they so wish.

I love Pied Wagtails, such little characters. Good to see the sunflower heads too, having watched their progress over on GF! I shall look forward to seeing more pics, Wendy.

Hope that it is OK to add my visitors today to your thread, Kits.

The Pied Wagtail and the Coal Tit were the only two I managed to capture, but there were Blackbirds, Blue and Great Tits, Woodies, Chaffinches, Starlings, Sparrows, singles of Collared Dove, Dunnock, Robin and Greenfinch.

The Coal Tit is on one of the sunflower seed heads I grew in the summer, the Pied Wagtail is posing on the edge of the front lawn!

Hi Wendy

Love the picture of your Pied Wagtail. From my own experience they can get quite tame, and they do link human intervention as part of their life styles. :-O

The one i had at my (Scottish) Farmhouse would sit on the roof tiles and get my attention while I put food out for the birds. He could churp non stop all day. Sweet thing

When it was cold, and snowy. I opened the curtains in the morning, and the same Pied Wagtail would flap up and down on the spot in front of the lounge window to get my attention for his food. It was so funny to see this happening.

The best part was to see juv Pied Waggies sitting on our flower borders. Mr and Mrs Waggie the proud parents. The young Waggies still wagged their tails even though they where not the full length so sweet they where. Their tails where little short stumps. :-C

The Grey Wagtails reproduced at the same time so we Had a garden/crèche of little Waggies - I will never forget the experience as long as I live. :-O

On my way back after a days work, the same Pied Wagtail would greet me on the country lane as to say hello to me

This was in a rural Farm area in Scotland, and that is what made it so special to us. Love to have a repeat of todays visitors anytime in this abode.

My four boys were back this morning making a dreadful racket! Lots of chaffinches and woodies, blackbirds, rooks and joy of joys, a male bullfinch.

We haven't had Bullfinches here for ages either, Wendy.
I am almost as envious as I am with people who get Goldfinches, Kits.

I can barely see the ground for birds! The garden has not been this busy for a long time. There are about 30 rooks, 4 jackdaws, the 4 boys (!!), lots of chaffinches, 3 male and 1 female blackbirds, 5 woodies and a squirrel busy out there. Oh, and I think there was a brambling amongst the chaffinches but it flew off as I got closer to the window to check.

This will be an interesting one to follow through the year Kits.:t:

I have just noticed Dans point about the introduced species. I assume your talking Pheasants and Muntjac, Dan. No problems with the Pheasants as they have been around so long most people I think would be surprised to know they are introduced, but there have been concerns expressed about the Muntjac. Durham (up north in my part of the world) Wildlife Tust have expressed real concern about Muntjac Deer speading northwards. There is concern that they will have an adverse effect upon our natural plants. From discussion I have had on BF there doesn't appear to be a major problem in the south as yet (maybe they are satisfied to stick with Kits flowers;)), but the concern was mentioned briefly on a recent tv nature programme (Autumnwatch). Durham is perhaps one of, if not the best. county in England for natural and rare plants so I think the concern is genuine. Muntjac had recently been found in the county and it rung alarm bells with naturalists.

I think you may know Dan that the Grey Squirrel is a controversial 'beast' because of the effect that they have on our natural Red Squirrels. I won't bring that whole issue up again, but the greys are caught and got rid of in a number of areas in order to try and protect the Reds. A very controversial business with some.

Fortunately we don't have Grays here. We all watch for them and if they start to show up. I hope we would react strongly. I'm strongly against introduced species, even the "harmless" ones. I believe that there may be hidden impacts on plants or by competition with native species.

We actually had a Goldfinch on the feeders today. :clap:I went out to fill them up but it didn't come back:-C

That's great, Val! :t:It has been a few weeks since I had a Goldie on the feeders, Greenfinches too for that matter!

Bet your Goldie will be back especially with cold weather forecast for the weekend.

Pah! Goldfinches! Nah, I don't want them (she says through gritted teeth and with her fingers crossed!). But we do get lots of greenfinches. o:)

We have had lots of all types of finches here. The usual Chaffinches and the males look really handsome at this time of year. :t:

Greenfinches lots of, and Goldies empty the Nyger seed without too much difficulty.

So I am really happy to see them no matter what. :t:

We have our own personal flock of Starlings, a few Woodies, Mr GSW, Collared doves, Blackbirds and a little flock of house sparrows. Of course we cannot forget our Robin too.

When I put the food out the Starlings sit in the tallest tree nearby, and watch all my movements having a good old chatter amongst themselves.

Just recently a crow pops in for a nibble, but I feel he is a little too large, and I am concerned that he will bring all of his friends in so I am wary of him. o:)

Quieter today - just one pheasant! Several woodies, a thrush, a wren, a LTT, 2 male blackbirds and a blue tit.

Just managed to grab a pic of the LTT. Sorry it's not very good.

Attachments

• Long.jpg
    Long.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 24
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back