• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sallows (1 Viewer)

Andrew S

Kentish Mother
Have just been down to the Lower Wandle Local Nature Reserve, which has lots of sallows (pussy willow I think) with their catkins flowering away merrily. Was there about 7.00 - after dusk but not much, and was examining the catkins for moths feeding on the nectar, which I understood from Roy Leverton's "Enjoying Moths" book is a good tactic at this time of year.

Fairly closely examined several trees/bushes, and didn't see one moth. Nice still night and not too cold, although it had been raining and the catkins were a bit wet.

Anyone else any experience of this? What am I doing wrong?

Andrew

Last edited:
Ah! The book said an hour or two after dusk...

After midnight is altogether rather less attractive. Will consider another trip, but not that tempted at the moment.

Thanks for the response, Colin.

Interesting idea but can't see how I can persuade hubby to join me in the middle of the cold winter night to look for moths...and I'm certainly not going out on my own...too many nutters around here!
Looks like I'll have to just invest in a moth trap for my back garden for the coming months!

GILL

Went back around 11.30 but still nothing doing, although I did see an insect that might have been a moth flying in the beam of my torch at one stage. Wasn't going to go back "well after midnight".

This is a small urban nature reserve near Wimbledon. There was a bit of a frisson going there at night. It seems to be somewhere where youths go to drink cans of very strong cider at night (judging from the empties) - but didn't come across anyone. Scariest thing was turning my torch on and flushing some roosting ducks from a little pond.

Looks like back to the trap - I'll give it a go tonight, although the weather forecast says minimum of 0C.

Would recommend a trap, Gill - great fun and not much effort (well great fun when there's some moths around - not always great fun at the moment).

Next few nights don't look promising here.. near freezing. I did managed to get to Satellites and a micro to sugar in my garden on 5th though.
I'm looking forward to getting a moth trap up and running... waiting for 80W bulb now.

Well, nothing from the trap last night - as expected... As you say, the rest of the week looks pretty unpromising as well.

Haven't bothered with sugaring yet, but maybe I'll have to give it a go.

After just one Common Quaker on Friday night Saturday's gang were a bit better:
March Moth, 2
Small Quaker, 1
Common Quaker, 1
Hebrew Character, 1
Pics:
http://www.brian.stone.care4free.net/images/moths/hebrew_character_mar_04.jpg
http://www.brian.stone.care4free.net/images/moths/small_quaker_mar_04.jpg
http://www.brian.stone.care4free.net/images/moths/common_quaker_mar_04.jpg
http://www.brian.stone.care4free.net/images/moths/march_moth_feb_04.jpg

Last night a Common Quaker was in early but I then turned the trap off as the moon was out full and -2 forecast. Was cloudy and seemed quite mild first thing this morning though.

Only sugared a few nights recently but haven't had anything yet.

Brian
Elton (NW)VC31

Andrew S,
Sallowing can be fun and productive, try and pick an overcast night, these tend to be a little warmer. Male Sallow catkins (the yellow ones) tend to be more productive than female. Tall sallows are difficult to search and a beating tray can come in handier than a net. Simply put the tray under a branch will lots of flowers on it, then rap the branch hard once. A few moths may escape by taking flight, but many will drop into the tray. Up north here, there's not a sign of Sallow blossom as yet. Many hibernating moths come to Sallow blossom as there is little else for them to feed on early on in the year. If your lucky you may well get a spm or two of the Herald moth, surely one of the most beautiful of British moth species.

Harry Eales.

Thanks Harry.

Went to check the sallows again last night - about 8.00 - nothing doing. Fairly mild, but it was a clear night. Some of the sallows are past their best now, but there are others coming out. I had a very powerful torch, so was able to see up into the taller trees easily, but there were also plenty of catkins at eye level.

Did notice that the wet path was covered in creatures - see first pic below - not sure whether these are even insects - couldn't see six legs... Wonder if this is connected to the dearth of moths? Also came across a newt. Took considerably more care going home than when I arrived.

Also attached a pic of a sallow catkin, and a Common Quaker, caught in my garden trap last night - first moth of the spring for me.

Andrew

Attachments

• Toad.jpg
    Toad.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Male Sallow catkin.jpg
    Male Sallow catkin.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 124
  • Common Quaker.jpg
    Common Quaker.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 122
I didn't catch any catkins (or CQ either) in my trap last night. ;) A fairly dismal showing with just one March Moth on the side of the trap and nothing at sugar. Hoping for better tonight.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back