• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hobby Thread 2009 (1 Viewer)

Nice one Sy.

Hi Andrew,
What county are you in?
The weather was appalling here too - but my pair raised two young. Were you looking out for them in August, when the young would be out & about?
Let's hope summer arrives this year soon.

Nice one Sy.

Hi Andrew,
What county are you in?
The weather was appalling here too - but my pair raised two young. Were you looking out for them in August, when the young would be out & about?
Let's hope summer arrives this year soon.

I am in lancashire and Hobby have been quietly spreading around the county for a few years now. Looked in Aug/Sep and no luck with any young. I did see a pair which must of been feeding young in Cheshire though, plus another adult carrying food off in a different area on the same day. Who would of thought ten years ago that Hobby would become a bird of the North. Saw my first years ago on a well known Common in Surrey. I bet that there are a lot more Hobby around the Northern counties than generally realised as they can be Hell to pick up. But there well worth the effort

All this talk of Hobbies appearing in the north of England as a breeding species must give us some hope here in Ireland, where, despite a marked increase in the numbers being picked up as migrants, there has never been a suspected breeding pair, at least none that I am aware of. Most birds seen here are 2cy, however, and, as such, would be too young to breed. Still, perhaps this increase may be the precursor of a colonisation attempt by returning birds eventually, provided we don't get rained out every summer...

All this talk of Hobbies appearing in the north of England as a breeding species must give us some hope here in Ireland, where, despite a marked increase in the numbers being picked up as migrants, there has never been a suspected breeding pair, at least none that I am aware of. Most birds seen here are 2cy, however, and, as such, would be too young to breed. Still, perhaps this increase may be the precursor of a colonisation attempt by returning birds eventually, provided we don't get rained out every summer...

First few years that Hobbies where noted as being present other than migrants around here, some where undoubtedly 2cy birds. And we still get them later in the summer, perhaps they arrive later than adults, Point is some of the 2cy birds have probably returned and bred so don,t give up hoping. They are diificult to pin down and i know of one successful pair that were discovered with young in an area they had not been seen or even suspected of breeding in

Andrew & Harry,

Great to have your input here. Strange that you both mention 2cy year birds - you must have had some good views of the birds concerned to age them. And if there are young Hobbies in a particular area is this because they are returning to areas close to their natal area?
I've never knowingly seen young birds here - just the adult breeders. It makes me wonder where they finish up in their second summer. Maybe there are people reading who live in Hobby-rich places who can shed light on this? Are they like Buzzards which come back as close as possible to where they were raised?

Good luck in your search Harry, if my patch in recent years is anything to go by I don't think poor weather is a great deterrent!

Today's sightings follow....

May 17th.

7:15 am. Sunshine! Quite warm. Blue sky.

Had a look at all the places I saw the Hobbies perching yesterday - and, of course, nothing doing. An hour passed.

Then I stood and looked from a viewpoint for a while and - suddenly they were up, spiralling around a group of trees, harrassing a crow, accelerating like a spun sling shot and away into the sky. Both sped off up and (inevitably) away from me until, thirty seconds had them a mile distant; but the female, as usual, had broken off to let the male hunt alone. I lost him seconds later in the distance.
I lost her too - but she had sneaked back to the same place - though I couldn't see her then.

Now, I knew that the male's hunt could go on for an hour - or five minutes. What to do?
Those trees contained an unused crow's nest which I had recce'd in winter - so a potential nest site, perhaps. Strange how there had been a shift from the area I thought that they might have been prospecting only yesterday.

I moved to a slightly closer spot, under a hawthorn for cover, still well-enough away to avoid disturbance. But I wasn't the only soul: a farmer walked toward the tree she was in.
Suddenly she was up and heading my way. Closer and closer, until my binoculars were redundant, low and arrow-straight. She had seen me but kept coming, we watched each other as she passed at no more than twenty-five metres, all her colours showing, the blobby streaks of her breast resolving to individual feathers, the glint in her wise eye visible.
And gone.

Moving off later, with still no sign of the male, as a Lesser whitethroat sang, I saw her in the same ash she had gone to yesterday. She saw me and quietly slipped away behind the trees.

Time for breakfast.

Hi there,
Well, Hobby has traditionally been a description rarity here in Ireland, and, while the species no longer requires a description, this has more to do with the changes made with regard to rarity assessment by the IRBC, with a list of 'commoner' rarities (Appendix 2) no longer requiring a formal description, so long as there is an observer name connected with the claim, but these are still published in the rarity report.
That said, there does appear to have been a genuine increase in sightings in recent years, with many records of 2cy birds, sometimes 2 or 3 in one area, remaining at east coast sites for weeks. Given the nature of many sightings on headlands, and the fact that any birds continuing inland would be even harder to pick up, the true numbers occurring may be quite a bit higher than we think, and, of course, if a pair were to breed, I fully realise that the species can be very elusive while on territory. It is also possible that 2cy birds wander widely when they return, and that the spread of the species into a new area tends to be preceded by an increase in such birds, which then return in later years to breed.
However, given the amount of migrant species that are relatively common even in western Britain, occur here reasonably 'frequently' on passage (Common Redstart, Pied Flycatcher, Tree Pipit, Wood Warbler etc) and yet rarely, if ever, breed here, it is always possible that hopes of colonisation by Hobby will come to nothing, but we will never know if we don't keep looking...
Regards,
Harry

May 17th. Part Two

A quick look at the weather forecast - torrential rain imminent - so out again quickly before it arrives. Glad I did.

Strong winds now, skies greying and thickening.

Five minutes on patch: there they were. Up high and moving fast - he way above her, both getting closer.
Suddenly he closes his wings and stoops at his mate. She's doing 100 kph, he makes her look like she's standing still. At the last second he swerves away and they both pick up the pace across the gale, still a hundred metres up, curving around my viewpoint and behind a tree.
I lose them - so fast were they going I simply could not refind them - thinking they might have doubled back - but they hadn't.

One minute later, as I watch the old nest area, I see him streaking diagonally down from my left - they had flown a kilometre wide circle - she was right behind.
He closed his wings parallel with his tail and, like lightening lightly greased, swept into and up to the crown of a large oak, where an occupied crow's nest was hidden.
She was slower behind him, and I could just make out the prey she was clutching. She landed low in the same tree to eat. I'd bet he had made the catch, I'd missed the food pass; and it had taken no time at all.
I knew they would be settled for a long while, and left them to the gale and the grey.

As I write this the rain hammers on the pane.

Ever get a day when you find that you're timings all wrong?
Having paced around like a caged animal all morning...i cracked and thought...'dam the bloody rain and wind...i'm out of here'. Arrived at my usual 'spot', parked up, 'turin brakes' CD still playing....and the rain was spattering it down. My hopes were momentarily raised when a great spotted woodpecker briefly entertained in a tree opposite. As the rain continued and my cigarette finished..i decided to brave the elements and search for 'my' hobbies. Now, you could say that i was being foolhardy but basically i think i was just desperate to get my binoculars out. To cut a long story short, i spent an hour and a half sheltering as best i could....no hobbies...no nothing! I just watched the landscape changing from green to grey, like someone was messing around with the colour balance on a photograph in photoshop! And guess what? I eventually get back to my car and the sun comes out! So....off i go again keeping a wary eye on approaching clouds from the west. I cannot believe that i was actually trying to out-pace them. The only good thing i found was a pair of very close hares who seemed to be giving me a very 'funny look'. Bedraggled by the rain, ears swept back like flippers, giving me that lunatic stare that only hares seem to have.[They're pupils seem to be permanently 'up' in they're eye sockets]. Are they the opposite of 'happy bunnies' i wonder?

ps...i also 'found' that my boots leaked and brought back half of the Atlantic ocean with me....i might as well have worn 'sponge slippers'...oh well....all part of the 'game'....!

pps....sounds like you had a good time with you're birds today Halftwo! [i'm jealous...very wet and very jealous]!

May 18th.

..sounds like you had a good time with you're birds today Halftwo! [i'm jealous...very wet and very jealous]!

Yes - was a good day.

Had a (much-needed) lie-in today - late in from work until 1am. anyway.

Wind blustering from a ragged sky, rain intermittant, sun infrequent.

9:45 - 11:15 am. :

A trough passing quickly was wreaking havock - all the birds in hiding.
In the lee of a wood dozens of House martins and Swallows - and passing Swifts pressed against the barley fields. Not much hope for hunkered down Hobbies.
But a little later, just where I'd left them yesterday (are they settled at this spot now?), the pair were up to spin around the tree a few times - slicing the gale effortlessly. Too soon they settled again, and that half minute was my lot today.

Had better luck with my pair today Half2....tho i am slightly puzzled by my observations!
At 'old nest' more greenery 'seems' to have been added...so perhaps 'something else' is doing this? I just don't know for sure...yet! Was alarmed to see a very furtive grey squirrel cautiously making his way along a bow and eventually it sat in the nest! The squirrel looked very nervous..and i was half hoping a hobby would swoop in and knock it off...but it didn't! No alarm calls sounded....so i trudged on and fairly quickly located a single hobby 'sheltering' in his usual spot...[the wind still blowing a flipping gale round here]! I too found my favorite sheltering spot and after settling down and raising my bins soon realized that the bird had flown...only several yards tho...to join it's mate low down in a willow! Here they remained quite contentedly for over half an hour, basking in the sun. As is often the case when 'hobby watching' tho...you take you're eyes off them for a minute and then look back...they're gone! I scanned for many minutes before eventually picking them up high and to the north...over another wood further up the valley! They soared in unison, circling each other, [and seemingly oblivious to the force 6-7 wind blowing], for at least 15 minutes before diving down at high speed below the tree top horizon. Happy with my observations and unhappy with the rapidly approaching rain clouds, i beat a reasonably hasty retreat and pondered. Will they use the old nest? What is adding all that green material...the squirrel? Are they perhaps considering a relocation? Time will tell i guess.......

Time will tell i guess.......

Indeed.

They seem to revel in the high winds - though it can't make hunting easier, surely. But seeing them slingshot around the gale is awesome. They look great perched, but become another beast entirely when they unfold those wings.

I'm wondering if mine are actually considering one of two occupied Carrion crows' nests that they are currently watching - knowing that, by the time they will lay, the crows will be gone (the crows are already feeding well-grown young - so only another fortnight.) Anyone have any evidence of this wait and see method?

The only other possibilty - unless my winter survey failed to find other nests nearby (entirely possible) would appear to be another (unoccupied) nest in a not-so-good position.

Time, as you say, will tell.

I'm wondering if mine are actually considering one of two occupied Carrion crows' nests that they are currently watching - knowing that, by the time they will lay, the crows will be gone (the crows are already feeding well-grown young - so only another fortnight.) Anyone have any evidence of this wait and see method?

No personal experience of this H but at a spot local to me where hobbies breed year on year the really knowledgeable patch birders tell me this is a regular occurrence. I don't know how common it is though.

This is a brilliant thread, BTW.:t:

No personal experience of this H but at a spot local to me where hobbies breed year on year the really knowledgeable patch birders tell me this is a regular occurrence. I don't know how common it is though.

This is a brilliant thread, BTW.:t:

Wow, that's amazing, Joanne! I didn't really believe my own theory - but it makes perfect sense. That's really good news, thanks.
They were actually chivvying a crow yesterday at a really good site.
Fingers crossed!

I will be very interested in any of you're forthcoming observations Halftwo...regarding the 'taking over' of crows nests...seems a valid theory! [I wonder if there is anything in 'print' on the subject].....note to self: must read more! I have often seen hobbies 'having a go'...so to speak....at corvids at their nests...i had always assumed that this was just part of 'seeing off' potential predators. All very interesting.....

ps...i hope that Harry finds a breeding pair one year in Ireland....a very tough job! i suspected a second breeding pair on my patch last year...[had five birds together on one day],..but despite much searching...no luck. Dammed elusive when they 'go quiet'! I shall try again this year to find another nearby breeding site....best chance is always to go out where you suspect they might be and to listen for the noisy youngsters. Having said that...you could spend an hour or two and hear nothing unless the adults 'come in'....it's never easy....but great fun....

No luck tonight with Hobby. I will get out tomorrow and have a good look about. As soon as the weather improves i will check out some other areas locally where hobby have been around for the last few years. There is an intresting paper on Hobby nest site selection on the web. One of the east european countries, but written in English. In the study area over there it was discovered that if no suitable corvid nests were available in some territories, hobbies would breed on wooden trays attached to electricity pylons. Some of the pics were amazing. Wonder if they have ever bred in a disused covid nest on a pylon over here. I have found kestrel breeding on pylons and have heard of peregrine so its got to be possible and if hobby ever really get going in the uplands in many areas these would be the only nestsites available. Just a thought

Hi Andrew,

Amazingly I discovered that very website last night - not had time to read all of it yet - but shall.
Just off out to have another go myself.

H

May 19th.

Hat, gloves, fleece, barbour. Grey and windy. Cold.

8:30 - 10:00.

Not long after I arrived I thought I saw a half-second Hobby movement around a tree. I'd been scanning around the area for a while. So quick was this arc of two birds out of, and back into the tree, I was only suspicious rather than certain. But I was still half-asleep.

A minute later and another similar, slightly longer pair of arcs, a little closer, and I was sure - the pair had just swapped trees - and I could see one sitting about ten feet from the top of the tree.
From the relatively large size of his head I knew it was the male (having had prolonged views of his mate lately.) She was above him and completely hidden; she later moved again even nearer to me, but I still couldn't see her.

For the next hour he sat, scanning around with small jerks and bobs of his head, preening for a while, and occasionally turning to face west rather than east. Though I willed him to hunt he remained on the spot.
The wind continued to batter. A Grey partridge called ever-closer until it was almost under my feet. Oystercatchers skimmed by. Yellowhammers and Chaffinches called. Hirundines and Swifts were scarce.

Had to go - leaving them both to their hidden perches - as soon as I moved a few feet from my viewpoint he too was invisible, and as I retreated I knew I would never have found them had I not seen that one second of flight early on.

Inevitably the day began to brighten when I got home. If I have chance I'll be back later.

May 19th Part Two

5:00 - 6:30 pm.

Dramatic weather - biggest, blackest clouds and a tsunami of rain just catching me and the Hobby, before moving through north. Fantastic rainbows and sunshine too.

Always check the closest perches! Having looked around for ten minutes I realised that there were, in fact, two Wood pigeons and a Hobby in the ash tree - not three pigeons.
There she was (for it was the female) sitting pretty in the sunlight, against a huge coal-black cloud. It had obviously been a day of contrasts - all the way home from the hospital where we'd been since eleven, the weather was sunny - but the biggest cloud imaginable, towering over the Pennines in the distance and reaching tens of thousands of feet high, was visible and getting closer as we went east homeward.

By the time I was out on patch the sun was going in behind the next cloud.
The Hobby was peering around animatedly. She began to preen and wing-stretch at one point - but no flight consequently. As the rain squall curtain decended she flew off to perch under the canopy of the same tree as this morning. The rain only just reached us and soon the sun was out again.
Dappled sunshine lit her through the leaves as she watched Swallows pass below her.

A Magpie started to hassle her - landing on and bouncing the branch on which she was sitting. She fluffed herself out and raised her shoulders, turning to face her tormentor as it hopped around her.
This is the same Hobby which, last year, had killed (and possibly eaten) a Magpie that had flown too near her chicks - so that Magpie was playing a dangerous game.
But the falcon had had enough and took off to land across the field, where she continued to look out for the male. It was getting wet again, and, like her, I was hungry, so I left her to her vigil.

Tomorrow I hope the weather's better - and I hope I sleep tonight so as to be up early.

Last edited:
May20th. Part One

Out very early this morning - 6:15.

Though grey the clouds were thin and the wind not as strong as yesterday.

As I got to a corner and looked back the female Hobby had landed quite close. We looked at each other - but too close for her comfort - she retreated and disappeared.
Back out after breakfast: some farm activity near the normal spot. Found her, after an hour and a half in another copse high up in the corner tree, sun now shining.
I was just in time, as she decided to go hunting two minutes later - taking off and rising with the wind behind her, away from me. When she reached perhaps a thousand feet she began to hunt - though she wasn't going for the many Swifts. However, one foolhardy Swift did zoom at her and away.
She jinked around, changing direction and height for ten minutes, perhaps going for insects - though now too far to see if her talons were put to use.

Even as the distance between us stretched her speed was still evident, but as my arms tired, she simply slipped between the cones of my retina and out of sight - maybe two or three kilometres away.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back