• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Books you'd like to be published. (1 Viewer)

In my opinion, if this project was ever started, it should only really have the very best artists. I think the ones that would be up to the task would be Lars Jonsson, Ian Lewington, Killian Mullarney and Dan Zetterstrom. Now that really would be a 'Dream Team'!

Well, this is an interesting thread.

Christopher Helm is always pleased to receive proposals for new titles ...

As regards the detailed points raised here, all I can say is that Cotingas and Manakins is very much alive and kicking ...

Jim

i've yet to come across a Hornbills book, it'sbe a bit of fun i'd reckon. Otherwise just new additions of already great books such as the Munias and Mannikins book.

ririhugs said:
And the MOST IMPORTANT: A complete field guide of the Birds of Indonesia (we need around 3-4 books to cover all the birds of this country): 700-800 pages or more, 400 colors plates, map, complete texts as possible!
how would that possibly be a field guide??! You'd need to hire a porter just to carry it for you!

in all seriousness though, I fail to see how a complete field-guide to the whole Indonesian archipelago is the "MOST IMPORTANT" neccessity in birding. How many birders cover the entire country in one hit? Not many at all. The Wallacea guide could certainly do with a major improvement in the plates, and what would be ideal would be a plates-only edition as the current full version is pretty heavy. As a reference work a complete Indonesian guide would be interesting, but it would make more sense simply to update the current guides.
What IS absolutely essential in my opinion is a field guide to the MAMMALS of Indonesia, because apart for the Borneo guide and the Flannery books that include Irian Jaya and the Moluccas, there isn't anything of that nature available.

Last edited:
A second edition of Lewingtons rare birds of Britain would be a juicy title.

Owen

Second this, and Cottridge and Vinicombe's 'Rare Birds in Britain and Ireland' was very good, should be expanded and updated. Also the two Macmillan guides should be combined and updated! Like the 'subspecies book' idea too!

Cheers G

I just remembered some other thread where the possibility of expanding the Olsen et al Gull book to world wide coverage was put on the wish-list by someone (and I don't remember who).

That was me! Still think it would be a good idea, the book just feels incomplete....

I know this is highly unlikely to be published but my dream bird book would be: Collins Bird Guide for only Britain and Ireland, each species over two pages, larger and lots of illustrations on the right-hand page and instead of just Identification and Voice I would also have other topics like Food, Habitat, Nesting, Population and Behaviour. So basically what I'd like is the RSPB Handbook of British Birds but with Collins illustrations and layout |:D|

I would like to see a book describing habitats. Biologists have these words like bog, chapparal, rainforest, riparian woods, grassland, upland etc. I would want a book with just the plates from Peterson, for example, and all the flora and fauna in those habitats.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back