• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden List 2011 (2 Viewers)

Thaw Brings Them Out

+10c in the garden today - though raining most of the day. A busy day for birds in & around the garden: four Greenfinches brought 2011's total to five! A flock of finches which included one Siskin at least and several Lesser redpolls added to the Gold, Bull & Chaffinches.

Redwings were to-ing & fro-ing, as were a few others - including a year tick - but more of that later.

The finches and everything else took flight and thirty-odd gulls did a circuit before the cause - a Peregrine - went past carrying prey. Two Jays came out of the grey sky and undulated a dive to the wood at thirty degrees.

But the thaw meant that the ponds are back in action and the flies were out: which meant a

52 : Moorhen

was calling and two

53 : Pied wagtails

went over.

Edit - after dark a bat - probably Pipistrelle - was flying!

Last edited:
An unbelievable addition to the garden list this evening - not just for the year, but a garden lifer. Just as dusk was fading the late pinks and oranges from a gorgeous sunset I spotted something heading steadfastly eastish. That something was a

55 : RED-THROATED DIVER !!

These dawn & dusk stake-outs have turned up trumps - I never expected that! The bird was even doing the characteristic raising and lowering of the head thing. Get in!

Also a Lesser redpoll actually on the niger feeder was nice as was the Treecreeper and fifteen Long-tailed tits today.

55 : RED-THROATED DIVER !!

Brilliant patch tick! How far are you from the sea? I hear about them occasionally being seen 15 or so miles from the coast in Sussex but I've never seen it myself.

36) Moorhen
37) Pheasant

.....................and one to make you envious of my measly 2011 garden list...........
38) Barn Owl

Last edited:
Brilliant patch tick! How far are you from the sea?
.....................and one to make you envious of my measly 2011 garden list...........
39) Barn Owl

Yes - very envious - that would be a great addition: one day maybe; they're not too far distant.

I'm way inland here - depends how far you'd count the Mersey estuary as sea, I suppose. But divers occasionally occur at Rostherne mere which is about five or six miles further inland than here. (Possibly where this one might end up - will be interesting to see if it gets found.)

I've no idea if they fly at night - this was 16:40 hrs and less than half an hour from dark up here - had it not been a clear sky I probably would have missed it - it being around 4-500m distant.

An impressive amount of species seen!

I'm only counting birds that land in my yard/hedge, feeding or not(as part of survey). All birds seen(don't know one song from another) from the windows, as yard is too small(about 16ft by 14ft) to be outside without scaring them off.

1) Blackbird
2) Jackdaw
3) Rook
4) Magpie
5) Song Thrush
6) Starling
7) Robin
8) Blackcap
9) Blue Tit
10) Great Tit
11) Coal Tit
12) Greenfinch - latest one, yesterday
13) Goldfinch
14) Redpoll
15) Sparrow
16) Dunnock
17) Chaffinch

Yes - very envious - that would be a great addition: one day maybe; they're not too far distant.

I'm way inland here - depends how far you'd count the Mersey estuary as sea, I suppose. But divers occasionally occur at Rostherne mere which is about five or six miles further inland than here. (Possibly where this one might end up - will be interesting to see if it gets found.)

I've no idea if they fly at night - this was 16:40 hrs and less than half an hour from dark up here - had it not been a clear sky I probably would have missed it - it being around 4-500m distant.

My understanding has been that Divers and Grebes are night migrants. Hopefully it will turn up at Rostherne. A good inland record!!

CB

I'm only counting birds that land in my yard/hedge, feeding or not(as part of survey).

Welcome to the garden listing thread m_the_d. I think most of us on this thread include everything seen or heard from the garden, including flyovers. But as per Halftwo's rules feral pigeon is excluded.

Last edited:
39) Siskin, eluded my garden all last year but they have returned, even had a drink from the pond. o:D

40) Mallard
41) Grey Heron
42) Mute Swan

Last edited:
Nothing new (so far) today but 200-250 Pink-feet were a welcome sight, as was a bulky male Sparrowhawk; and the Lesser redpoll's at me niger again.

What a lovely thread!

I live in the centre of Birmingham but even I get quite a variety of feathered visitors - today

Sparrows - all the kinds- got my own little flock of about 20 live in the hedge
Robins - 2
Blue Tits - 2
Blackbirds - eating the dried fruit
wood pigeons - wanting to eat the dried fruit
magpies - also eyeing up the dried fruit ;-)

Not quite as impressive as you guys but I loved this thread and wanted to comment.

Wish I had owls in my garden !

Just counted up mine and I was surprised that I am already on 44 for the year. List below isn't in order of when I saw them.

1) Cormorant
2) Grey Heron
3) Pink Footed Goose
4) Greylag Goose
5) Shelduck
6) Mallard
7) Sparrowhawk
8) Kestrel
9) Pheasant
10) Moorhen
11) Oystercatcher
12) Golden Plover
13) Lapwing
14) Dunlin
15) Black Tailed Godwit
16) Redshank
17) Black Headed Gull
18) Common Gull
19) Lesser Black Back Gull
20) Greater Black Back Gull
21) Herring Gull
22) Woodpigeon
23) Collard Dove
24) Pied Wagtail
25) Wren
26) Dunnock
27) Robin
28) Blackbird
29) Fieldfare
30) Song Thrush
31) Redwing
32) Mistle Thrush
33) Blue Tit
34) Great Tit
35) Magpie
36) Jackdaw
37) Rook
38) Carrion Crow
39) Raven
40) Starling
41) House Sparrow
42) Chaffinch
43) Greenfinch
44) Goldfinch

What are other peoples overall totals for their garden, mine is 94 species

What are other peoples overall totals for their garden, mine is 94 species[/QUOTE]

119..in 27 years...with several possibles..not included!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back