• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird monograph sponsorship opportunity...anyone? (1 Viewer)

Okay - list so far.....

Green-throated Carib - Papuan Birder
Tufted Coquette - Ben
Wire-crested Thorntail - RobGordjin
Broad-billed Hummer - Swissboy
Blue-headed Hummer - njlarsen
Honduran Emerald - BrightonBirder
Mangrove Hummer - Motmot
Snowcap - Swissboy
Velvet-purple Coronet - Edenwatcher
Black-hooded Sunbeam - Antshrike69
Andean Hillstar - Stonechat1
Ecuadorian Hillstar - Welsh Peregrine
Black Inca - Antshrike69
Dusky Starfrontlet - fbeeldens
Blue-throated Starfrontlet - Cajanuma
Sword-billed Hummer - Welsh Peregrine
Giant Hummer - Richard Klim
Booted Racquet-tail - Tarsiger
Red-tailed Comet - Richard Klim
Black-backed Thornbill - lewis20126
Bearded Mountaineer - Edenwatcher
Neblina Metaltail - Cajanuma
Long-tailed Sylph - Russ Heselden
Violet-tailed Sylph - Russ H
Venezuelan Sylph - Russ H
Hooded Visorbearer - Papuan Birder
Horned Sungem - fbeeldens
Marvellous Spatuletail - Hidde Bruinsma
Peruvian Sheartail - Swissboy
Ruby-throated Hummer - jedigrant
Calliope Hummer - MJB

Still plenty of goodies left!!

Last edited:
That's the Spatuletail gone then!! Amazed it took this long as to me, that's the ultimate hummer!! Good choice Hidde as that's the one I'd've kept ;)

Ads, I think you made a mistake talking about several subspecies for Blue-headed Hummingbird, but just to make things clear, I want Cyanophaia bicolor ;) .

Niels

Ads, I think you made a mistake talking about several subspecies for Blue-headed Hummingbird, but just to make things clear, I want Cyanophaia bicolor ;) .

Niels

It's yours Niels, just the one ;)
I was thinking of Blue-tailed Emerald before!! Blue this, blue that...best stick to Latin now! ;)

Last edited:
This will be for sure the most fascinating monograph on hummingbirds.
Here is my idea in case you have not consider it yet. What about featuring all the extinct hummingbirds in end chapter of monograph ? I think every hummingbird lover will like and want the comprehensive treatment of Trochilidae family. The Extinct species are Letitia's Thorntail, Brace's Emerald, Gould's Emerald, Bogota Sunangel and Turquoise-throated Puffleg.

If this thing is already planned, then that is nice. I have only given my idea and i hope you like it.

Happy Birding

Last edited:
Except that a population of what has been claimed to be Bogota Sunangel has now been found (did it get re-identified as something else?).

Niels

I do like the idea Ali and will certainly mention it when we all meet up as it really won't take up much space (not like doing the same for NZ or Hawaii!!)

Adam, one more for me please: Broad-billed Hummingbird (Cyanthus latirostris). This is in addition to the two I have already made a reservation for. (Need to get one a bit more northern species, plus I realized that the color blue would essentially be missing if I only had the first two. ;) )

Last edited:
Old-school, like it Grant ;)

I was also considering the spatuletail (couldn't believe it took so long for it to get claimed!) and Blue-headed (but Niels has a more legit claim on that one, although it may be my favorite hummer that I've seen). So I figured I'd make a claim to the only one usually found here. (Although, at least 12 have been reported here in Georgia, of which I have seen seven.)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back