• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird Friendly Backyard (1 Viewer)

emc

I know this is kind of late to ask, but what can I do to make my backyard more inviting to hummingbirds? I've been trying to get them to come for a couple years, and so far nothing. I know that they are around here because I saw a couple in my yard a few years back and ever since I've been trying to get them back. I have a feeder surrounded with red impatiens. What else can I do? I'm in the southern Ontario area in Canada

http://www.cafepress.com/hummingbird2.3136766

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi emc,
Red impatiens may not be as good a nectar plant as others, such as the Salvias. If you have a look at my Hummingbird Homepage:
http://helensbirds.homestead.com/hbhome.html
there are links to several excellent websites which will tell you which plants are best for attracting hummers. Here's a link directly to the Attracting Hummingbirds section of one of those websites: http://www.hummingbirds.net/attract.html

Fall migration is in full swing now, so all the Canadian hummers will be well on their way south, but you could be ready for next spring if you do some research over the winter.

About the feeder you say you have out - if the nectar is not used within a few days, it will go moldy and bad, so it must be refreshed frequently if any visiting hummers are going to stay around. I usually only fill mine about a third full until I see more hummers about, and then I'm not wasting the sugar water. If you make a batch the excess will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks. Proportions are: 4:1, so to make a small amount add 1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup boiling water, stir well and let cool.

Good luck

Last edited:
Hi emc,

I definetly agree with Helen, Salvias are always a good choice. I have got a huge pot full of Salvia splendens on my balcony, and they are always visited first by the hummingbirds, before they go to the feeder. These plants also attract white flies, which also seem to be a good food source for hummingbirds, for they never become the bad pest I used to know them before ;) .
Salvia also sets a lot of seeds, so if you are interested, I can send you some for next year (unless there is not any restrictment on sending seeds from the US to Canada). Another good and long flowering nectar source is Nasturtium, but you have to cut of the wilting flowers before the seeds ripen to keep it flowering. They are also very showy with their colourful flowers, just like the bright red Salvias.
Good luck for you, Marcella

While Hellen certainly knows her hummingbirds, I would caution you to try to use plants as close to regionally native as possible. A lot also depends on where you are in South Central Ontario. You are very close to the northern limit of the hummingbird range (I used to live in Sault Ste Marie, and we would see maybe one or two hummingbirds every couple of years), so your numbers are not going to be near what Hellen or others see here in Texas.

Work with Columbines in the shade. Some of the mallows from Southern Ontario are also good hummingbird plants. Walk around and see what they are hitting in other yards. Remember also that, with hummingbirds as with any other bird, water and shelter are as important as food.

Mark

I also live in southern Ontario, just north of Toronto, and have visits from migrating hummers in spring and fall. Saw one just yesterday morning, chasing the chickadees around the crab apple tree. These ones seem to like the cardinal flower (not sure of the latin off hand) and definitely love the butterfly bush. Also visit phlox, physotegia (obedient plant) and fushias. Try to have plants, including trees and shrubs of varying heights in the garden as a safe place to land. I usually get visits in morning and early evening, I guess we're on a "food circuit". Good luck!

Hi, My 2 bits are............ Have your feeder(s) visible from a distance, but close enough to some trees or bushes for cover and perching,,,,,,,,but not right next to. (cats). Also, always have your sugar water be fresh. Only fill the container a fraction until numbers warrant a full bottle. And perhaps fly your Canadian flag. Couldn't hurt.

Chris D said:
Hi, My 2 bits are............ Have your feeder(s) visible from a distance, but close enough to some trees or bushes for cover and perching,,,,,,,,but not right next to. (cats). Also, always have your sugar water be fresh. Only fill the container a fraction until numbers warrant a full bottle. And perhaps fly your Canadian flag. Couldn't hurt.

Hey Chris, I've heard of old glory attracting hummingbirds so I guess the maple leaf could too.
While feeders are great, I always like to caution people to work on the garden BEFORE counting on a feeder. You would be amazed how many people, including those with the feeder out in the open, will call me at work saying "I put up a hummingbird feeder but I ain't got no hummin' birds - how come?"

Mark
Bastrop, TX

humminbird said:
Hey Chris, I've heard of old glory attracting hummingbirds so I guess the maple leaf could too.
While feeders are great, I always like to caution people to work on the garden BEFORE counting on a feeder. You would be amazed how many people, including those with the feeder out in the open, will call me at work saying "I put up a hummingbird feeder but I ain't got no hummin' birds - how come?"

Mark
Bastrop, TX
Hi Mark.

Having recently moved into a new homestead with a big chunk of treed property but absolutely no color or flowers at all and it being too late in the season to do anything but plan on next spring, I hung 4 hummingbird feeders up and within an hour, I was deluged with hummers. It would appear that very few of my neighbors are into gardens so I plan on adding some color to this neighborhood come next spring ;)

I've got lantana, some trumpet vines, and other assorteds that they seem to like. It's just so beautiful watching them on real flowers. Nesting Anna's also like pure ash from my woodstove. Since all is not sugar in this world, hummers seem to like small swarms of gnats and flies I get fom time to time. Not much bites in my area, so I never use pesticides. I've often got hummers hunting insects. Just a thought.

KC
I would not be surprised if there aren't some native wildflowers on the property that these birds were feeding on before the feeders went up. The feeders also went up in the peak of migration season, in a natural appearing area as opposed to the concrete jungle, etc. Yes, feeders will attract hummingbirds - no doubt about it or we would not use them - but a well developed hummingbird garden is going to do so much better than any feeder could.

Chris:
You offer yet another reason for the garden - a feeder doesn't attract nearly as many gnats and insects as a garden does.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Makes me think......... If you have a large area that has been cleared (Like say, an old field or ag land) and your new house is on it --- plant a few willow trees on the boundary of your land. I'm lucky to have willows on my neighbors lots. Hummers love to roost in them and there's always small insects. This obviously sounds a bit far fetched but you never know who might happen upon this thread. I'm sure I get loads more hummingbirds than some others in my town because of nearby roosting trees. Just don't put anything like a willow anywhere near your house or any plumbing.

Resting shelter is very important to these birds, as is nesting shelter and escape shelter. This is often the difference between an highly active hummingbird location and one that is simply visited by the occasional bird IMHO. Yet it is probably the most overlooked factor.

Here in Texas, Desert Willow is more important as a food source (nectar and insects) than as a shelter plant though.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

emc said:
Thanks for the help everyone. I live right by the lake in Toronto. I've seen a couple of hummingbirds a few years back but nothing since. I guess I have to work on the gardening.

Hummingbird Mugs

This does put a little different light on the subject depending on WHERE on the lake in Toronto we are reffering to. One certainly can not argue that the lake front at the foot of Dundas is very different from the lake front in the residential areas of the eastern suburbs, etc. In any case, you are in somewhat of a concrete jungle - nothing like Dallas or Houston, but certainly an area of reduced vegetation and limited natural feeding opportunities for these birds, but in most of the city there is not the reduced shelter concerns that there are in many of our metro areas here in the US. Toronto is, fortunately, still somewhat green.
I would work hard on the feeding plants - try to find a copy of the book "Hummingbird Gardens" (Nancy Newfield from Metarie LA coauthored this book). It has some great ideas.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

emc said:
I know this is kind of late to ask, but what can I do to make my backyard more inviting to hummingbirds? I've been trying to get them to come for a couple years, and so far nothing. I know that they are around here because I saw a couple in my yard a few years back and ever since I've been trying to get them back. I have a feeder surrounded with red impatiens. What else can I do? I'm in the southern Ontario area in Canada

It's never too late to get started on attracting hummingbirds--even if they don't come back until next year.

I think the most important factor to consider is that you need to provide HABITAT--not just feeders and nectar plants. be sure to plants trees where the humemrs can nest, shrubs where they can roots and avoid predators, and water that either they can drink or bathe in or that will attract the small insects need for fats and proteins.

See the Web site for "Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" for ideas, specifically at
http://www.rubythroat.org/AttractingMain.html

HAppy Hummingbird Watching!

BILL

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back