• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many bird books have you got? (1 Viewer)

Here's an observation: on several occasions when I've been at other birders houses I've remarked on their extensive bird book libraries. The inevitable response is something like, " I've not read most of them."

I have read at least something in every one of mine

Niels

153 birds-and-birding books (using the multi-volume count as one criterion)...
I have to admit that I couldn't bring myself to count the 17 volumes of HBW as just one book, so my total is a little exaggerated. Perhaps the only universal measure for comparing collections is total weight in kilograms (or tons!). Except for those who have lots of eBooks... ;)

I bought that when it came out as well, replacing my Observers' Book. It was a great leap forward. Sadly I think I threw it away when the second edition came out in 1986.

That could be the basis for another discussion: of the bird books you have ever acquired, how many do you still own? 100.0% for me ...

Cheers,

Keith

That could be the basis for another discussion: of the bird books you have ever acquired, how many do you still own? 100.0% for me ...

I've given away a few spares, or ones I wasn't so keen on. So maybe 95% still owned.........:)

I don't think you can buy cutting edge field guides in a modern post office.

A couple of years ago I remember seeing Simpson & Day (one of the 4 main Aus guides) on sale at Australia Post shops, if that counts? May even still sell them...........

I think that my 451st would be the most inflammable!

Only just arrived here.... this made me smile a lot:t::t::t:, suprised no-one commented.

Anyway I was suprised to find I only have around 150 "dedicated" bird books (not counting reports, periodicals etc) as they seem to be everywhere! However the house is bursting with books of all kinds and a good number of those are natural history related, I reckon we have 400+ different titles in NHistory at least... then there is all the rest of the non-fiction, not to mention the novels etc:eek!:

As to how many I still own, almost 100% unless they fell to bits with use, and then I replace them. Cannot bring myself to throw a book away!

I was shocked by Janes comment that she had read the average number of books in a house is 6! But sadly not suprised. Maybe Ebooks may help? But I still like a proper paper book myself!

ATB

Steph'

I was shocked by Janes comment that she had read the average number of books in a house is 6! ATB Steph'

Maybe it wouldn't be so worrying if we could be certain that the 'average' figure had been arrived at by someone who is innumerate?:eek!:
MJB

Only just arrived here.... this made me smile a lot:t::t::t:, surprised no-one commented.

Gratified you got and, even more, enjoyed my joke. I think the problem is that, since adopting centigrade, most expect their 233rd book (or thereabouts) to be most inflammable.

The vast majority of my books were birthday/Christmas books from my mother, wife or in-laws (my daughters tend to resist my suggestions!). At one time 6 or 7 new books a year were enough to keep ahead of the game!

As for attitudes towards books amongst the young, a comment by one of my Yr11 students, made just before I retired from teaching, says it all. On being asked what I'd been given for Christmas my reply, books (of course) engendered the instant and absolutely serious response from one of them Wot don't no-one like ya, sir?

Interesting read. I did a quick count and have about 75 bird books. One of these days I should compile an actual bibliography of the titles/authors!

I have quite a lot (they fill an entire bookcase) but nowhere near 399. In addition to field guides, I've got birders' biographies and autobiographies.

Umm Yarrell - sounds interesting, but having had to replace my computer and printer this week it's a no-go.

I got my 500th bird book this week - the Helm Identification Guide,

A good 200 + books, or so here sitting on my shelves.

I look at them all at various times and whatever reason

Of course the trips to Spain come into their own - as I have 50 or so books about Spain alone, and its birds/wildlife

Regards
Kathy
x

Just 75 ornithology / birding books, and another 25 or so general environmental books. In Australia.

A few more in my Father-in-laws loft, since we were only going to Australia for upto four years it didn't seem worth bringing them out.....
That was nearly eight years ago. Doh!

Thanks for this thread!

My girlfriend always complains about how much money I spend on bird books...

After having read about some of your huge collections she doesn t think I am so crazy anymore ;). I might get a birdbook for my birthday

I'm at 2,466 bird books

Dare I say, 2,466 bird books?
After reading through everyone's counts, I'll have to confess I'm a bit obsessed with collecting bird books. My database (I track metadata and scan in the cover of all books) shows I have 2,466 bird books on hand. A couple hundred are various editions of the same title since I collect first printings of the older books.

The breakdown goes something like this:

1,356 for New World species and guides; behavior, migration, and vocalization, extinct or rare; reference, natural history, biology; and, commentary or anecdotal reading.

1,110 for Old World species and guides; oceans and associated islands; Antarctic region; and, global family guides

319 are in a language other than English
334 are author-autographed

So you know I'm not utterly bird-centric...
Another 302 books focus on mammals, dragonflies, butterflies, herps, and botany. I like to be able to identify things when in the field.

Just to clear my conscious, another 777 books relate to physical sciences, evolution, ecology, philsophical religion, history, languages, and, a smattering of fiction.

I'm always on the lookout for a new or obscure bird book to examine and have identified another 2,582 titles I don't have. I think this is why I created my Avian Review website -- just to share with other birding bibliophiles what bird books exist out there.

Hmm. Perhaps I may be a bit mad; but, I can stop at anytime! Well, unless anyone happens to have a spare copy of "Honeyeaters and Their Allies of Australia" by Longmore.

After reading through everyone's counts, I'll have to confess I'm a bit obsessed with collecting bird books. My database (I track metadata and scan in the cover of all books) shows I have 2,466 bird books on hand. A couple hundred are various editions of the same title since I collect first printings of the older books.

1,356 for New World species and guides; behavior, migration, and vocalization, extinct or rare; reference, natural history, biology; and, commentary or anecdotal reading.

1,110 for Old World species and guides; oceans and associated islands; Antarctic region; and, global family guides

Another 302 books focus on mammals, dragonflies, butterflies, herps, and botany. I like to be able to identify things when in the field.

Just to clear my conscious, another 777 books relate to physical sciences, evolution, ecology, philsophical religion, history, languages, and, a smattering of fiction.

I'm always on the lookout for a new or obscure bird book to examine and have identified another 2,582 titles I don't have. I think this is why I created my Avian Review website -- just to share with other birding bibliophiles what bird books exist out there.

Hmm. Perhaps I may be a bit mad; but, I can stop at anytime! Well, unless anyone happens to have a spare copy of "Honeyeaters and Their Allies of Australia" by Longmore.

The winner ....... you do have secure locks on your place, don't you?

My habit of buying 2 field guides each time ( one for in the field, full of annotations, and a 'library' copy ) doesn't seem that eccentric anymore. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back