• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Point & shoot cameras (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
Hi guys

My son is looking for a point & shoot camera with a decent zoom that he can slide into his pocket. Any suggestions? Thank you.

My wife uses a Panasonic TZ35 which is very easy to use and has a very long zoom lens. The lens is said to be a Leica (I doubt that, but that is the marketing). The images are very clear even on max zoom. The TZ35 has now been superceded - I think Panasonic is up to TZ55. I regret I haven't a clue what these model numbers would be in the US of A but I would recommend this line of cameras as a simple but versatile point & shoot.

My wife uses a Panasonic TZ35 which is very easy to use and has a very long zoom lens. The lens is said to be a Leica (I doubt that, but that is the marketing). The images are very clear even on max zoom. The TZ35 has now been superceded - I think Panasonic is up to TZ55. I regret I haven't a clue what these model numbers would be in the US of A but I would recommend this line of cameras as a simple but versatile point & shoot.

I would strongly doubt that you're allowed to market a camera as having a Leica lens if it doesn't have one!

My partner also has one of these, great little camera

I would strongly doubt that you're allowed to market a camera as having a Leica lens if it doesn't have one!

My partner also has one of these, great little camera

I accept one could not market a camera as having a Leica lens if it is hasn't got one, but I suspect there is some sort of licensing or design deal here rather than the lens being manufactured by Leica to Leica quality and tolerances. I think we paid about £100 for the camera. In truth, the lens could have "Dogbreath Optics" written on it. It is still a cracking little camera with very good IQ.

The TZ series does have Leica lenses. Just beware, it would seem that some TZ60s are set up only in Japanese, so you would need to be sure to check that out before you buy. I'd also consider the Canon Powershot SX700 that also has 30x optical zoom. Another Panasonic, the DMC-ZS40K, seems pretty decent as well. I don't know what your son's budget is, as well as other criteria he may be interested in (ie-megapixels, shutter speed, touch screen, video capabilities, etc.). Hope this helps!

I've always used Panasonic 'Lumix' ZS3's. Usually buy them refurbished. Like to give them away to people who could really use them. Great Leica lens. 12X optical. Great element inside.

Just bought a Lumix FZ200 'Bridge' camera. 24X optical. Took it to Ecuador over Christmas to photograph Hummingbirds. Fantastic also ------ if one strays from the pocket point&shoot.

Beware on the lower end pocket cameras that expected menu options exist. I got a Canon Elph 330, 15x, for travel once and was extremely disappointed that while Canon uses the same basic menu setup across the range, setting AF to flexizone, force the focus in the center of the frame, is not an option, making it extremely hard to make it focus on the bird in the tree.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back