• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

World Yearlist Record Attempt (2 Viewers)

Perfectly safe according to Emin as long as you stick more or less to the main road and don't venture south on some tracks ....

He added:
Persian Nuthatch (Eastern Rock Nuthatch)
Upcher's Warbler
See-see Partridge
So closed today still needing 6 for the 3000!

EDIT: I may have misread his message. They may well still be in the field!

Last edited:
Perfectly safe ....

'Reasonably' safe I'd say is a better phrase, largely because nothing has happened so far. With the high value of a westerner and a fairly open border not many kilometres away, I'd say it is slightly foolhardy to believe it 'perfectly' safe.

Note, Birecek is little more than 20 km from IS dominated territories around Jarabulas. Even if IS or IS sympathizers don't snatch someone from across the border, or even if a random bomb is not left, there are a lot of severely impoverished persons in that border zone now ...not, I think, beyond possibility that a Westerner found wandering would be taken and traded purely for economic gain.

Last edited:
'Reasonably' safe I'd say is a better phrase, largely because nothing has happened so far. With the high value of a westerner and a fairly open border not many kilometres away, I'd say it is slightly foolhardy to believe it 'perfectly' safe.

Note, Birecek is little more than 20 km from IS dominated territories around Jarabulas. Even if IS or IS sympathizers don't snatch someone from across the border, or even if a random bomb is not left, there are a lot of severely impoverished persons in that border zone now ...not, I think, beyond possibility that a Westerner found wandering would not be taken and traded purely for economic gain.

Exactly my take on it - don't think I'd bother at the moment, but then I don't need any of the birds!

cheers, alan

Hmm. That's definitely not cricket...

PS. But to be fair, Noah probably doesn't have a lot of time at the moment to critically appraise the defensibility of every claim, and he can probably afford to withdraw a few questionable records before submitting his final score.

I think the relevant test for him is whether the birds are countable on the relevant national list. Oddly, he took off Egyptian Goose despite seeing one in Texas and it being an acceptable ABA species. Of course, he'll get that back. Still nearly 70 targets in Spain!

Currently flicking through Birds of Turkey wondering what tomorrow will bring and what is possible - Pochard, Sedge Warbler, Moustached Warbler, etc - as well as the more exotic stuff?

All the best

Last edited:
Ok they are on the summit of Nemrut Dagi and Tawny Pipit brought up the 3000! The others they added were Pale Rock Sparrow, Woodchat, Red-tailed Wheatear, and Cinereous Bunting.

Ok they are on the summit of Nemrut Dagi and Tawny Pipit brought up the 3000! The others they added were Pale Rock Sparrow, Woodchat, Red-tailed Wheatear, and Cinereous Bunting.

Great to get these updates Jon; now who will update us with the Spanish news?!

If Noah stays healthy, that record is going to get smashed. B :)

cheers, alan

Great to get these updates Jon; now who will update us with the Spanish news?!

If Noah stays healthy, that record is going to get smashed. B :)

cheers, alan

I have no idea who will be guiding him through Spain... or even where he will be going, so we'll have to revert to watching his updates I'm afraid!

And the latest, (and sadly last I think!!) update from Turkey. Well done Emin.

3001 Black Stork
3002 Griffon Vulture
3003 Armenian Gull
3004 Bimaculated Lark
3005 Greater Short-toed Lark
3006 Spectacled Warbler
3007 Common Quail
3008 Black Winged Kite
3009 Montagu's Harrier
3010 Blue-cheeked Bee eater
Total 125 lifers until now, we're on the way back Adana now!

I make that 263 species added in 8 days from 'greater' Europe with Spain still to come compared to 250 species added in 84 days in the current record. Despite obviously being affected to a degree by differing itineraries (with an impact perhaps on the Africa leg?), that is one hell of a beating to take in your own backyard!

All the best

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back