• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waiting for a bus then along comes two? (1 Viewer)

charlierocky

My wife and I went for a good 8 mile walk last weekend and I was elated to have seen a woodpecker the first sighting that I can recall that I have seen! Not close enough unfortunately to confirm which one but quite sure it was a woodpecker. My wife was miffed because although I tried to point it out to her she was unable to see it. Anyway we have just returned from a quick jaunt around Branston gravel pits and low and behold there it was for both of us to see a "Great spotted woodpecker". It danced around a tree just a few feet away from where we were standing in clear view, well chuffed :D Well I suppose it's true what they say " Little things amuse small minds".

charlierocky said:
My wife and I went for a good 8 mile walk last weekend and I was elated to have seen a woodpecker the first sighting that I can recall that I have seen! Not close enough unfortunately to confirm which one but quite sure it was a woodpecker. My wife was miffed because although I tried to point it out to her she was unable to see it. Anyway we have just returned from a quick jaunt around Branston gravel pits and low and behold there it was for both of us to see a "Great spotted woodpecker". It danced around a tree just a few feet away from where we were standing in clear view, well chuffed :D Well I suppose it's true what they say " Little things amuse small minds".
HI CR, I love your description of the woodpecker "dancing" around the tree, it's perfect!
I wouldn't say it was a little thing either, I'd say it was a thrilling sighting!

charlierocky said:

Hi Charlie,
Wonderful birds aren't they, I used to have one visiting my garden but I have not seen it since november I think, the 2 goldfinches that visited my garden also vanished at around the same time. I Wonder Why?

Scott

Hi Charlie. I agree with Keith. Now you've "got your eye in" for GSW'S , you will be much more likely to see them. Especially now that you know there's a chance.
Wish you more good luck.
maurice

I could do with a wood pecker, by me. Oh well, ill just have to make do with nuthatches and treecreeepers.

Hi Ant,

I've not seen the treecreeper this winter, usually we see him quite often but not this year, I hope he's OK.

As for the GSW, we do get one from time to time in the garden, but recently my brother & I went down to the loch side to watch the birds and for the first time, he was able to identify a GSW by it's drumming. I tell you, he's getting hooked.

:t: B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back