• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Armenia 12 to 25 May 2018 (1 Viewer)

The RF Serin are real little corkers - amazing plumage. It looks as if someone was given the task of designing a finch plumage from a mix of a load of other finches but never quite finished the job!

I know what you mean Deb, as if they were designed by a committee !
22 May

After the short distances driven the previous day, today held a different prospect, a journey of 137kms from Vayk to the village of Tsapatagh on the eastern shore of Lake Sevan. Still, all the roads showed as red on our map and had the reassuring ‘M’ prefix, so what was there to worry about?:eek!: Just after leaving Vayk a Hoopoe crossed our bows and we realised that we’d gone a whole day without seeing one! We soon turned north up the M10, the only north-south major road through Armenia that doesn’t involve going through the Yerevan conurbation. As the road started to climb towards the Selim Pass (2410metres high) we spotted our first Blue Tit of the trip, but more exciting was a superb male Levant Sparrowhawk perched on the roadside wires, no doubt looking out for unwary lizards below. It was to prove to be our only totally rain-free day of the two weeks but conditions at the Col were not brilliant for birding, very windy and not surprisingly for the date no apparent migrants around apart from two weary Rosy Starlings that paused in some bushes for about 30 seconds before continuing southwards.
The Caravanserai just short of the pass is a must-see for anyone with even the slightest interest in history, to wander inside with a torch with nobody else around was a privilege and we felt transported back centuries to the days of the Silk Road and imagined all the merchants, their goods and animals all hunkered down safe inside as they passed the night, before continuing their epic journeys. The Crag Martins were happy to use ‘the facilities’ and were nesting just inside the only entrance with its inscription in Persian using Arabic letters. Armen, the local souvenir salesman chatted to us in French (as well as selling us honey, jam etc ‘made by Madame’) and seeing our interest in the martins proudly showed us a photo he’d taken on his mobile phone a few weeks before of a Bearded Vulture that had passed him within a few metres! Selim was my last chance of Radde’s Accentor as some birders have seen them there but my luck was out. The birds were typical of the Armenian uplands, Common Whitethroat, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Water Pipit, Whinchat, Northern Wheatear, Cuckoo and the only raptor we saw was a Long-legged Buzzard. After a brisk (but fruitless) walk away from the summit in search of some wet areas I’d read about in trip reports we started the gradual descent towards Lake Sevan (which is at over 1900m remember so not a huge drop in altitude). A few kms later there was a (seasonal?) lake to our left, upon and around which could be seen at least a dozen pairs of Ruddy Shelduck, after seeing them in England, France and Switzerland these felt like the first ‘non-plastic’ ones I’d ever seen! A handful of White-winged Terns were dip feeding, Redshank and Coot were clearly breeding around the lake as were Stonechatsp and very smart Black-eared Wheatears (we saw both black-throated and white-throated males on our travels).
We paused for a picnic on the Lake Sevan shore and there saw Gadwall, Mallard, Pygmy Cormorant, Armenian and Black-headed Gulls, Common Terns, Great crested Grebes and Coot going about their business. In the reeds were Reed Warblers and our only Reed Bunting of the trip, Grey Heron and Little Egret in a tributary river bed. 101kms after leaving Vayk we turned off the M11 near Vardenis and headed up the M14 just 36kms from our hotel for the night. The first 6kms took us 30 minutes, the road, once properly surfaced had ‘seen better days’, I have never experienced anything like it for potholes and the whole of this first part was negotiated in first, and very occasionally second gear. Locals, clearly in the know, were speeding along in the fields on the other side of a dry river bed, but their ‘unofficial’ route then joined ours and the road became just bad instead of terrible for the next 30kms (ie. 2nd gear and occasionally third on this stretch:t:). Two and a half hours later we arrived at the hotel at Tsapatagh, very shaken up and me with aching arms from all the swerving and slaloming. We were mostly passing through open agricultural land, so the birds were typical of this habitat and all species we‘d seen already, the Woodlark were the first since Spitak however.

Attachments

• Levant sparrowhawk2.jpg
    Levant sparrowhawk2.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Inside the Caravanseri.jpg
    Inside the Caravanseri.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 35
  • B eared Wheatear.jpg
    B eared Wheatear.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 39
  • Pygmy Cormorant2.jpg
    Pygmy Cormorant2.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 39
23 May
A pre-breakfast stroll for me on a chilly and breezy morning in the young woodland (an anti-erosion shelter belt according to the notice by the road) between the village and the lake shore produced less than I had hoped, most birds proving hard to track down in the windy conditions. However, a nice surprise on returning to the hotel grounds entrance was a family party of Red-fronted Serins that obviously felt sorry for me and posed nicely in the bushes before ending up directly outside our bedroom window (one for the Birds from Your Hotel Room thread :t:).
Our journey today was to take us a few kms along the lake shore before striking north over the Karmir Pass to Chambarak, west along the Getik valley before heading north over the mountains through the Ttujia Pass to Itsakar, then west to our overnight stop in Ijevan (where we’d been the previous week looking for the missing TV!).
A nice moment early on when we stopped to admire a male Ortolan, a strange call overhead and a pair of Ruddy Shelduck passed close by, nice views of adult Armenian Gulls along this undeveloped side of Lake Sevan.
The Karmir Pass was a mass of wildflowers which were much to the taste of migrating Common Rosefinch and wa also saw a few Bee-eaters, other typical species were Whinchat, Stonechat, Common Whitethroat, best bird a male Common Rock Thrush on a rocky outcrop, only commoner raptors seen (Kestrel, Buzzard and Long-legged Buzzard).
As soon as we left the main road through the Getik valley we were on a dirt road, it wasn’t too bad, just occasional corners where heavy rain had washed away the top, still it was 35kms of slow driving through wonderful wild Armenia, quite close to the frontier with Azerbaijan, we crossed one car and neither overtook nor were overtaken by any vehicles. We DID see human activity, clearly the snow had not long left the slopes so people were just setting up their summer grazing dwellings in tumble-down farmhouses that presumably had been empty since the previous autumn.
As we climbed the Ttujia Pass 3 Lesser Spotted Eagle wheeled low overhead, thereafter we were pootling along at around 1800m altitude, we noted a very high density of Red-backed Shrike and as we descended into the village of Itsakar we heard our first Tree Pipit, Chaffinch and Green Warbler of the trip. Our pleasure at finding some surfaced road as we entered Itsakar soon faded as the road became a stony track, it was so bad I thought perhaps we were on the way to a remote farmhouse, but no, it was the main road to Ijevan - 32 kms of rocks and stones made me yearn for the potholes of the previous day! The Lada did a good job keeping us going through mostly wooded habitat, lots of beech and oak forest where Green Warbler and Caucasian Chiffchaff were common, we also saw our first Red Squirrels. On the more open hillsides there were occasional Stonechat, Rock Bunting and more Red-backed Shrike and as we turned one corner, a Raven and an Egyptian Vulture took off in front of us! There, just up a slope by the roadside were three cows and next to them what was left of a calf, the head was still intact but the Ravens and vultures had been doing a good job of cleaning up the environment, the vulture seemed to have trouble getting much height and it turned back towards us, my photos suggest it was a bit ‘overweight’!! As we finally started a tortuous descent above Ijevan, another corner, another surprise as a Wolf ran across, turned to give us a chilling stare, then scarpered into the forest! We were puzzling over this sighting initially as it wasn’t all grey as our Alpine ones at home, but sure enough on looking up Caucasian Wolf, ssp cubanensis the photo showed exactly the colouration we saw.
After a bit of trouble finding our B and B we treated ourselves to an evening meal of chicken kebabs and cool beer at the nearest 'greasy spoon' Armenian style, all for the princely sum of 4 Euros equivalent!

Attachments

• Red f Serin.jpg
    Red f Serin.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Armenian Gull2.jpg
    Armenian Gull2.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Lesser spotted Eagle2.jpg
    Lesser spotted Eagle2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Egyptian Vulture2.jpg
    Egyptian Vulture2.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 50
The vulture’s missing primary would create drag on the lift (hopefully from molt not damage) but sounds like they were pretty satiated too! And the RF Serin again, stunning, that, and a ‘chilling stare’ from the wolf, I’m continuing to read your report entries with great enjoyment. Thanks!

24 May
The local Swifts (and a few Swallows) were all protesting and circling around at breakfast time as I was trying to clean the dust-covered Lada after its herculean efforts over the previous couple of days. The culprit had passed overhead before I spotted it - a large falco sp powering purposefully north. By the time I’d got the binoculars outside it was well away from me but it looked greyish above, so probably a Peregrine I decided…
Hoping to perhaps find Semi-collared and Red-breasted Flycatchers in the valley’s woodland, we spent the morning between Ijevan and Dilijan which was to be our final night’s stop of the fortnight. Some lovely mature beech forest didn’t yield any flycatchers, but added some more species to our Armenia tally, Great Spotted Woodpecker (heard only, which was a pity as the Caucasian race is quite different), Song Thrush, Robin, Wren, Nuthatch, Common Treecreeper were all new species for the trip, and with Woodpigeon, Blue and Great Tit, Blackcap, Mistle Thrush, Grey and White Wagtail seen it felt more like home than the far-off eastern reaches of the Western Palearctic! Caucasian Chiffcaff, Common Rosefinch, samamisicus Common Redstart and Green Warbler reminded us where we were though. A pair of the latter were particularly vocal as we inadvertently paused presumably by their nest coming ridiculously close and shouting at us (well, alarm calling anyway).
Wanting to shop for presents to bring home we checked into our Dilijan accommodation early in the afternoon, a superb male Common Redstart serenading us till nightfall (see photo).
25 May
Keeping up our record of new species every day, our last morning gave us Coal Tit and Dunnock around the hotel and in a repeat of the previous morning, a Peregrine was up and about early here too. I managed to photograph one of the local Jays of the Caucasus and Asia Minor subspecies krynicki. I also spent a good hour and a half before breakfast scanning the distant hillsides in vain hoping to see Caucasian Black Grouse which I read has been seen by birding tours looking up from the town. Although we needed to get back to the apartment in Yerevan to let the builders in we managed a short detour along the north side of Lake Sevan on our way south as I wanted to see the big Armenian Gull colony at Norashen Island. On the way we stopped at the exit of the Dilijan Tunnel by a mountain stream with Sand and House Martins nesting nearby. A Dipper zoomed past, looking a lot greyer and paler brown above than the French and British variety, the subspecies caucasicus occurs in Armenia, so another plumage tick!
The north shore of Lake Sevan is dotted with half-completed holiday complexes and unfinished buildings and we were glad to find an undeveloped area near Norashen. With time pressing we didn’t drive across the peninsula to view the island but explored the nearest shoreline, three Cattle Egrets were another addition, as was Moorhen, and one set of bushes held a fine singing Marsh Warbler easily topping the nearby Reed and Cetti’s for quality of song.
Apart from the ever-present Hoopoes, the drive back to Yerevan was made more interesting by seeing folk selling fresh mushrooms by the roadside (made a change from wine disguised as Coca- Cola!:eek!:). A Weasel risked its life in zipping across the highway and all too soon we were back in the hustle and bustle of Yerevan, a world away from the wild Armenia we had experienced with our trusty Lada over the previous week. One of our refugee friends came to see us as he was in the city so we were able to pass on our remaining two saucissons!
Our bird species total of 149 would of course represent a poor return for a full-on birding holiday and those with ‘target birds’ would do better to have guide/driver/interpreter for certain species but hopefully we’ve given you an idea of what Armenian ‘do-it yourself’ birding can be like.

Attachments

• C rosefinch.jpg
    C rosefinch.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 25
  • Green Warbler2.jpg
    Green Warbler2.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Jay ssp krynicki.jpg
    Jay ssp krynicki.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Redstart sammamisicus2.jpg
    Redstart sammamisicus2.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 38
Thanks Pete,
To paraphrase Arnold Schwarzenegger: "We'll be back":t:

Edit. Of course no account of a holiday in Armenia would be complete without a picture of the twin peaks of 'their' beloved Mount Ararat!

Attachments

• Ararat.jpg
    Ararat.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back