• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gran Canaria and Tenerife, July 2019 (1 Viewer)

Sorry to spoil the fun but Nanday Parakeet is definitely NOT on Cat C of the Spanish list, which includes the Canaries. A new list was actually released just a few weeks ago.

The only country you can count it in is Israel, though I haven't heard of any reports in recent years.

Cheers, Graeme Joynt

What about this: Checklist of the Birds of the Canary Islands 2018 - I do not know the local relationships, but : Sociedad Ornitologica Canaria seems like a relevant body and their list has the standard categorization.

SEO is the official body in Spain, including the Canaries. They adjudicate on all rare bird claims and produce the annual Spanish Rarities Report.

But it's your own personal list so I guess you can count what you like!

Cheers, Graeme Joynt

SEO is the official body in Spain, including the Canaries. They adjudicate on all rare bird claims and produce the annual Spanish Rarities Report.

But it's your own personal list so I guess you can count what you like!

Cheers, Graeme Joynt

Sure, but in the absence of actual leadership, I am the one who usually motions to get things like this sorted in our Czech competition, where so far people have been counting those, so maybe I should start a move to remove them, but I would like to still better understand who is the Socieded Ornitoligica Canarias and why do they diverge then from the "official" list.

Sorry to spoil the fun but Nanday Parakeet is definitely NOT on Cat C of the Spanish list, which includes the Canaries. A new list was actually released just a few weeks ago.

The only country you can count it in is Israel, though I haven't heard of any reports in recent years.

Cheers, Graeme Joynt

The Canaries birds have far more going for them than the brief population (pair?) at Pardes Khana-Karkur surely? Considering how well the Monk and Ring-necked Parakeet populations are doing in and around Tel Aviv, difficult to think that a self-sustaining population wouldn't be well ...... sustaing!

All the best

Maybe you're right about those populations Paul but for comparative purposes e.g. netfugl and BUBO we've agreed to follow the official national lists of the countries within the Western Pal. There's really no other logical way to do it is there?

Once you start trying to make your own decisions outside the official parameters it becomes a very slippery slope.

Cheers, Graeme Joynt

Maybe you're right about those populations Paul but for comparative purposes e.g. netfugl and BUBO we've agreed to follow the official national lists of the countries within the Western Pal. There's really no other logical way to do it is there?

Once you start trying to make your own decisions outside the official parameters it becomes a very slippery slope.

Cheers, Graeme Joynt

Difficult really. At the end of the day, you are combining different national approaches and providing your own harmonisation eg in respect of the Dutch list?

On the Nanday Parakeet, I remember the surprise of a well-known Israeli birder when I told him that it had been admitted to the Israeli list. That said he was more sceptical of the Starling which at least persists.......

The other logical way would be to set minimum size population and minimum period before acceptance into a combined WP list. It would be an interesting exercise to attempt to do so.

Of course, these Category C species are the ultimate blockers - see this almost error free blog post:-

http://bigyearwp.hyber.org/index.php/2017/06/07/last-chance-to-c-by-paul-chapman/

I'd sooner tick a Dalmatian Pelican in Cornwall over a Bulgarian one than those Israeli Nandays over the Canarian ones. But I've been at the bottom of the slippery slope for years!

That said, I may have a proper look at my remaining Category C's to finally get my IOC WP list to 800 but I wouldn't really suggest anyone compares their lists with mine on BUBO or anywhere else. The only purpose of your list is to remind you what you still want to see!

By the way, almost all of that is tongue in cheek. You do an excellent job in keeping track of and reconciling such things.

All the best

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words Paul. My personal view is that none of the Nanday populations inspire confidence but I guess we'll keep following the national lists; that approach seems to cause the fewest arguments!

Cheers Graeme Joynt

We just back after a fantastic 10 days in beautiful Tenerife. The main reason that we came to Tenerife is Loro Parque. As a family, we quite like to keep ourselves to ourselves, the girls dont really "do" kids clubs or the entertainment. Once in Tenerife, got a prebooked Tenerife Airport Transfer to Costa Adeje, again no problems at all. Weather - perfect!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back