• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Show us your Pocket Monocular (1 Viewer)

My new addition to the collection. The Docter 8x21 :) this is what I've wanted all along. Thanks to a member here who decided to sell it to me with his Nikon mikron. The mikron is awesome. So small i coulrn believe. If only nikon still made half of the mikron so we could have a cool porro monocular.

Now I have 5 monoculars and 2 binoculars. (All within the last 2 weeks of purchases)

Here are some I had together at work.
I'll get some more photos later in the week with all of them together.
748f199749e2ab56e05a009d0ce3ce07.jpg
bbf88a260c578de65329d0e68edc87bc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Canip, post 16,
The Zeiss 6x18 is faster and easier to use , although the Leica Monovid is stronger of higher optical quality.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thank you, Gijs.

I agree.

I have the 6x18 and the 4x12 and like them, I find the image bright and sharp, and both Zeiss‘ (Zeisses?;) ) are lighter and smaller than the Monovid.
But unlike the Monovid, they are not water- nor fully dustproof.
I also use them as boosters when reviewing binoculars with the USAF 1951, the sequence of tests is then: bino alone, with Kite 2.5x booster, with 4x Zeiss, and with 6x Zeiss (the 6x has only proven useful with top instruments and exit pupils > 5mm).

Canip

The Soviet 8x30 seems to be from 1986.
They used to retail here for about £13 from memory.

The eyepieces fit in a 24.5mm/0.965 inch eyepiece holder if machined down. Very useful.

B.

Kevin,

You need another dog, I have three.

Andy W.

I do, I think.
My heart was broken at the loss of our Corgi, Katy.
That was 3 1/2 years ago.

I’m admiring Borgis (Border Collie/Corgi) and Augies (Australian Shepard/Corgi) in addition to the straight up classic Pembroke Corgi.
Dogs are kind of magical.

I love the Monovid, both for his optical quality, and for the fact that it is waterproof, so I can carry it in the front pocket of my windjacket when skiing or hiking and have it always ready -- even when it's not sunny.

I ended up getting a monovid yesterday. :)
Here is the monocular/binocular collection.
9518a0e42c3ab7064086157cb806686c.jpg
badb3758ea7617aa9565743f3c2860f4.jpg

Hello Bruno28,

That is a nice little collection you have , congratulations.

:t:

Cheers.
Yeah it was quick how fast I acquired them. I guess they came in at a good time and at good prices.
That's the end for me. If I could keep only 3, it would be the Nikon mikron, docter and a Zeiss turmon.

Hello All,

I now have an 8 x 20 Leica Monovid.

Thanks to all of you who recommended it , this little monocular is everything that you said it was.

The price still stings a little bit though o:D .

According to the importing vendor I purchased the last remaining one in my country , and they do not know if , or when , they would be getting new stock , so I should probably consider myself fortunate in a way o:D .

This addiction is getting out of hand o:D o:D o:D.

Cheers.

Found a pretty good condition Nippon 5x15 on ebay. Cleaned it all up as the lens and prism were quite dirty inside. Of course collimation is out (But it was so dirty you couldn't see well), but don't know how to adjust as it doesn't have adjustment screws. Any tips?

I did manage to climate the other micro (Nurlux 6x15) binoculars and I was surprised it only took a few guesstimate turns on the screw to get it quite perfect. I think it was luck.

Now I have 3 micro binoculars. :)
b77f335dc3a5f9770acfa069b1196a0c.jpg
07b5179fdd77ef8fc2e1be2060382730.jpg
2930a4bcf2aa4e5c78abca36a292fec3.jpg
f701d48276b86881ffca7961fb97ded3.jpg
4944876fe1aeadf1aec51a3ef1affa2b.jpg
4c74520605bac906ade69ce144377083.jpg

Last edited:
Leica Monovid 8x20
Zeiss Jena Turmon 8x21 (including a full set of lenses for close-up and a stand)
Zeiss West 3x12
Zeiss West 5x10

The one I use most is the 3x12 - small and very versatile, works well as a tripler.

Hermann

Now I have 3 micro binoculars. :)

b77f335dc3a5f9770acfa069b1196a0c.jpg

Hello Bruno!

I am looking for one of these beautyful tiny micro binoculares at the moment. I would be interested in whether the newer models, such as the "Nikon CF Mikron", have a significantly better optical quality than the old, used models. Or whether you can get along well with a model from earlier decades.

I would like to have the binocular in my pocket on occasional hikes and walks so that I can better observe the landscape, animals and architecture. What would you recommend?

As far as the mechanics are concerned, the older binoculares even seem less sensitive to me than many new ones. I consider the central focus to be a sensitive weak point. I already broke this mechanism on binoculars. The old binoculars usually have their own focus on each eyepiece. It can hardly break. I also like the older binoculars with their glossy paintwork and shiny blank parts better than the matte, modern binoculars with plastic and rubber parts. But my question mainly relates to the optical qualities of the binoculars. Presumably there is much better optical coating today than in the past.

I would be happy if you could give me a recommendation.

Many greetings,

Milch

Opticron 8x20 gallery view with field scope attachment.
Works well. Needed to buy "flat" petri dishes to put micro moths etc in for the microscope.

16132373991827527124501677594819.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back