• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Other:Skywatcher 80ED and Nikon D5000...advice needed (1 Viewer)

Moncho

Hello:
I read that interesting thread "Skywatcher 80ED and Nikon D5000...advice needed", and I want to do the same. But I have one doubt.
Paul Corfield said: "First one is the Max DSLR which can be found by clicking here. Buy the one in Nikon mount"
I suposse than Nikon d5000 needs af confirm for the measure of the ligth.

1- What are the af confirm chip for use with this?.

I the thread "what is the best scope for digiscoping?? "
Fernando Batista said: "Exposure is depending on the brand you use, canon will meter even without a lens on it (I think so at least) so it will be as easier as any other lens, Nikons are not so easy, cheaper Nikon bodies require a cpu in order to meter, I adapted a cheap lens for that reason."

2- What is this cheap lens?

3- Is not necessary the chip af confirm in this case?

The scope came with a Ascension 2" Barlow like present.

4- Is this barlow a problem with the 1,2 or 3 questions?

Thanks

Hi Moncho

I have the Nikon D90, which is not too different from your D5000.

To 'join' the camera body I use a standard T ring adapter, such as this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kood-T2-Nikon...es_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item4cf21104db

Although if you search for a 'T2 adapter' for Nikon, you may find a cheaper one. This adapter screws onto the 1 1/4 nosepiece as supplied with the scope.

Then I use a set of extension tubes like these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Macro-extensi...51752?pt=Lens_Accessories&hash=item2ea1d5fea8

These just fit onto the T2 adapter and your camera, however I bought 2 to get 2 28mm tubes for minimum close focus.

I found that without any TCs the Nikon may AF confirm with the viewfinder dot in good light.

You could also buy a set of tubes with an EMF chip already put on like these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AF-confirm-Ma...41577?pt=Lens_Accessories&hash=item53e16a8b09

With this set you get metering and the AF confirm beep (see thread regarding 'focus trap'.

Hope this helps.

Vic

Hi Moncho, welcome to BF and more welcome to Astro telescope section. I too am new here but I learned a ton in a short while.

thornlv, very well explained.

Moncho, your questions are mostly quotes from others in the forum. Perhaps you can tell us a bit more of what you have or intend to have. This section here with a few extremely enthusiastic players have moved very fast. Some findings done not so long ago could be out of date. We are not here to find the best equipment for birding but rather the best value equipment, meaning the best at lower cost. If you can tell us a bit more, then the learned ones (not me) can guide you along with what's better than others.

Hello Thornlv and Alphan.
I wanted to buy a Max dsrl for adapt directly the Nikon D5000 to 2" focuser, how is explained in the thread . But I read in somewhere that D5000 can not use the photometer without an objective (and I would not like to have to do all in manual mode) . If this is true, I only see tree solutions, 1) Glue a dandelion chip to the Max dsrl or 2) Use a T ring with the chip and a T2 adaptor. or 3) put a teleconverter lens and then the max dsrl. (this last one was not my first option because a ascension 2" barlow came with the scope). I woul dappreciate to know what of this tree options is the better in cuality, in your opinion.

There are 2 accepted methods to mate up with the scope. see attached photos for a visual explanation

My method is method 1

Note in both methods you still need extension tubes in order to get mimimum focus (something near 5-7 metres), connecting striaght to the Max DSLR would give a very long minimum focus (unless you only want to photograph very distant things, the moon etc)

I prefer method 1 because the nosepiece can not slip out as easily as the Max DSLR should the nuts slacken, also I can still attach a viewing eyepiece while in the field.

Nikon cameras will NOT meter unless a lens is attched, you NEED a AF confirm chip (as linked) to achieve metering, plus you then get focus confirm and can focus trap with Auto focus switched on, the scope basically acts as if it was an autofocus lens only you supply the 'motor' to focus, then the camera will ONLY take a picture when it is in focus

If still unsure, ask again

Vic

Attachments

• mymethod.jpg
    mymethod.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 298
  • method1.jpg
    method1.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 357
  • method 2.jpg
    method 2.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 290
Whatever method you use, do have an extension to keep the camera mounting at least 40mm away from the scope mounting, to be able to get in focus. A distance of 80-90mm would be more ideal as you can get as close as 6m and still get object further away up to 100-200m. If your extension exceed 90mm, you will only get very near object. You must have your chip in contact with your camera.

The above set up by thornlv would give you many options to try it out, but once you got them all right, you would need something more rigid. Those cheap extension do looks very fragile. Just get the above setup right, practice shooting then only go into TCs to increase your FL. The gurus here are still researching the better ways to increase the FL. By the time you got used to your 80ED, things would have more settled down and you can confidently set into the world of modified TCs.

I find that the extension tubes I have are quite good, rigid enough and light on the wallet :)

Not sure if mine and your are same or similar. got mine for about US$8 a set from Hong Kong. Mine took a knock and the extension came apart but none of the thread got damaged. It's the looseness of the thread and being only two threads in contact.

Hi to all!

First of all greetings from Galicia (SPAIN). I´ve a Nikon D90 and Im thinking on buy a Skywatcher 80ED, but would be great if somebody can explain me the mounting scheme from the camera to the telescope. Im not clear about the macro rings and AF confirm pieces. I´ve a set of macro rings without the AF confirmation, but im afraid that this thread (about M57) wouldnt match with the T2 adapter thread...

thanks by advance!

Hi Remirath and welcome.

Not sure where you are getting the 57mm thread. The only thing you would screw into the T adapter would be a 2" telescope adapter like the one that comes with the scope or you can get a slightly different type if you don't want to mount to the scopes one (as shown in photo above). The photo confirm chip isn't essential, you can add one at a later date if you want. I've never personally got around to buying one. The T adapter has a bayonet on its rear which then attaches to the bayonet on your macro tube.

Paul.

Hi Paul! watching the pictures again I caught the mount scheme! correct me if Im wrong

DSLR - Extension tubes - T2 ring - 2"scope adapter

PS: The M57 thread is from the extension tubes, but watching further, I find that the extension tubes pack is fully mounted (Nikon D Conection male to the camera and female on the other side!!)

Welcome aboard Remirath,

That setup as explained above may not be the best setup but certainly the most modular way for you to try out the different configuration to best suit your usage. You can read more in this section what had transpired with the Astro scope for photography. You won't go wrong with that.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back