• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magpie taxonomy (1 Viewer)

You speak of 'some splits', to what do you refer, there are no Magpie splits on the IOC list anyway, even the very distinct mauritanica is still lumped.

There are ten races including the nominate, listed on the IOC.
A

The splits will be done in IOC 8.2. IOC will then have Maghreb Magpie (Pica mauritanica), Asir Magpie (Pica asirensis), Black-rumped Magpie (Pica bottanensis), Oriental Magpie (Pica serica, includes anderssoni) and Eurasian Magpie.
See here: http://www.worldbirdnames.org/updates/species-updates/

André

PS: Just noticed that Laurent already made that link.... One should read all the posts....

The splits will be done in IOC 8.2. IOC will then have Maghreb Magpie (Pica mauritanica), Asir Magpie (Pica asirensis), Black-rumped Magpie (Pica bottanensis), Oriental Magpie (Pica serica, includes anderssoni) and Eurasian Magpie.

André

PS: Just noticed that Laurent already made that link.... One should read all the posts....

Got decide which one I saw near Beijing now then, andersoni, leucoptera?

A

Last edited:

André

leucoptera is retained under Eurasian Magpie, have I got that right?

A

Last edited:
Um, the map previously linked to by Laurent says Beijing is solidly within the range of nominate serica. Anderssoni occurs significantly farther to the NW. Or am I missing something?
I'd say Beijing birds should serica as well.
Beware, though, that jankowskii, which is given as separate on this map, is usually regarded as a synonym of anderssonni -- i.e., anderssoni in the more accepted sense would also occur due N, and even NE, of Beijing.

Um, the map previously linked to by Laurent says Beijing is solidly within the range of nominate serica. Anderssoni occurs significantly farther to the NW. Or am I missing something?

Yes, have to agree, I looked at the map with names and no shading....:-C

So two up for me from this then.

It's interesting for me as a Brit in Russia, to observe just how wild the Russian Magpies still are compared to the urban ones in the UK. They are forest birds and very shy as indeed Wood pigeons are too, it's like stepping back fifty years in time whe the only Magpies or Wood Pigeons I'd see were right out in the coutryside.

Did I understand correctly that leucoptera is retained under Eurasian?

A

Last edited:
Hi.

I was asking a question about a magpie in Thailand in another thread (https://www.birdforum.net)/showthread.php?t=365819
Another user pointed me to this one.

So I saw an Eurasian Magpie in 2013 in Thailand, in the Mahachai forest reserve. It is more or less 30km south-west of Bangkok (13°30'10.5"N 100°16'14.7"E). Looking at the map above, theoretically the bird does not occur over there. However, the one I saw should be Pica serica now, right?

Thanks for your help.
Frederico

In that part of Thailand, I'd be concerned that it'd be an escapee, not a wild bird, and there's no predicting what subspecies it might be.

Hi.

I was asking a question about a magpie in Thailand in another thread (https://www.birdforum.net)/showthread.php?t=365819
Another user pointed me to this one.

So I saw an Eurasian Magpie in 2013 in Thailand, in the Mahachai forest reserve. It is more or less 30km south-west of Bangkok (13°30'10.5"N 100°16'14.7"E). Looking at the map above, theoretically the bird does not occur over there. However, the one I saw should be Pica serica now, right?

Thanks for your help.
Frederico

Yes, have to agree, I looked at the map with names and no shading....:-C

So two up for me from this then.

It's interesting for me as a Brit in Russia, to observe just how wild the Russian Magpies still are compared to the urban ones in the UK. They are forest birds and very shy as indeed Wood pigeons are too, it's like stepping back fifty years in time whe the only Magpies or Wood Pigeons I'd see were right out in the coutryside.

Did I understand correctly that leucoptera is retained under Eurasian?

A

Andy,
I think the problem is that large areas are not recorded for differences, so ll birds are listed as 'Magpie"
MJB

Alexey P. Kryukov, Liudmila N. Spiridonova, Alexey P. Tyunin, Kirill A. Kryukov & Beatriz A. Dorda (2020) Complete mitochondrial genomes of five subspecies of the Eurasian magpie Pica pica, obtained with Oxford Nanopore MinION, and their interpretation regarding intraspecific taxonomy, Mitochondrial DNA Part B, 5:3, 3810-3811, DOI: 10.1080/23802359.2020.1838354

Abstract:

The complete mitochondrial (mt) genomes of five subspecies of the Eurasian (Common) magpie Pica pica were determined for the first time. Lengths of the circular genomes comprise 13 protein-coding genes, two rRNA genes (for 12S rRNA and 16S rRNA), 22 tRNA genes, and the non-coding control region (CR). Gene content and lengths of the genomes (16,936–16,945 bp) are similar to typical vertebrate mt genomes. The subspecies studied differs by several single substitutions and indels, especially in the CR. The phylogenetic tree based on complete mt genomes shows a deep divergence of the two groups of subspecies which supports the proposed division into two distinct species: P. pica and P. serica.

Kryukov, A.P., O.A. Goroshko, V.Y. Arkhipov, Y.A. Red’kin, S. Lee, B.A. Dorda, K.A. Kryukov, M. Kapun, and E. Haring (2022)
Introgression at the emerging secondary contact zone of magpie Pica pica subspecies (Aves: Corvidae): integrating data on nuclear and mitochondrial markers, vocalizations, and field observations
Organisms Diversity and Evolution (advance online publication)
doi: 10.1007/s13127-022-00568-6

Zones of secondary contact provide a good opportunity to investigate the origin and dynamics of reproductive isolation between related populations. We analyzed genetic and phenotypic patterns and gene flow between two subspecies of the Eurasian magpie Pica pica s.l. which recently came into contact after presumably long periods of isolation. We describe the distribution of subspecies in a young contact zone at Argun’ river basin in southern Siberia where populations occur in parapatry and an older hybrid population in eastern Mongolia. Based on genome-wide SNP data, we analyzed patterns and strength of gene flow between the subspecies. Our results indicate occasional hybridization with backcrossing and asymmetric introgression along a wide range in Transbaikalia and locally in eastern Mongolia. Males of P. p. jankowskii apparently exhibit higher dispersal ability towards the west compared to P. p. leucoptera (towards the east). The former occasionally migrates to eastern Mongolia and Transbaikalia where introgression of nuclear, but not mitochondrial DNA was evident. Bioacoustic investigations showed differences between the subspecies in speed and structure of vocalization. We discovered intermediate calls of hybrid magpies and bilingual birds alternating calls that are typical for the two taxa. Furthermore, we found dramatically decreased reproductive success in hybridogeneous populations. By complementing our results with established phylogeographic patterns of P. pica s.l. based on a mitochondrial marker sequence, and considering indications of sterility of hybrids in the contact zone, we propose to elevate the two corresponding subspecies to species level: P. pica for the western form and P. serica for the eastern form.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back