• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

a birding holiday in 2020? (1 Viewer)

Hey, Jos's route also goes just around my house :) Buy July is a bit slow here. I was in Varanger beginning of June and it was perfect spring - but it was too early for Arctic Warbler (or however it's called in English), so later dates have something to them. The only downside is that by July, you will be able to watch a large number of other flying things, of the blood-sucking variety.

At this point however, there are plenty of obstacles. On this eastern road, I can see the biggest problem right now very easily, it's called Poland and if there is a country that will open it's borders the last, Poland is a safe bet, because the politics here is mental. The western road has Sweden though and I am a bit afraid that while entry there has never been closed, the chance of being able to freely leave Sweden any time soon is not very good.

The mosquitos hit northern Lapland on the 19th June on our visit. Mentally, and physically, scarred....

Anyway, if Poland ever opens up, anyone is really welcome to meet for some birding! I can't offer accomodations (our flat has 17 sq. meters, you seriously don't want to stay here with us), but hotels are allowed to operate and I know endless spots for wild camping (set up in the evening, pack in the morning style).

The French Pyrenees still have a lot to offer in September, PM me if you want more detail, it's the only place in the world that draws us back year after year. We should be there now and have a booking for two weeks August/September with fingers very firmly crossed. Friends from Milan joined us in 2015 and the drive was straightforward in one day with stop in Toulouse for the space museum.

We are sort of expecting an ok summer season. The mountains seem to be the 'safest' place to go with beaches being a little more complicated.

I have driven, solo, to the alps a few times from here and whilst it's tough it's do-able in a day. Luz to Tignes is 9.5 hours and I used to drive through the night, after service (restaurant).

That said we also drove to Travemunde in a day which was less easy.

An interesting trip for you could be Italy to Camargue, Camargue Pyrenees, Pyrenees Monegros, Monegros Ebro, Barcelona, home....

Incidentally, Finland is reviewing its entry restrictions by June 14 and there are signs that the Baltic States might be allowed by/from that date. Norway however has currently imposed its restrictions to end only on August 20, though citizens of other Nordic/Baltic countries may get travel permission before that. It is probable that the Baltic States are allowed entry into both Finland and Norway before Sweden (due to their higher number of cases) and almost certainly before the rest of Europe. Don't think Italy will be first in line :)

But it's guesswork as governments are changing regulations frequently, I guess just stay flexible and plan at last minute.

Anyway, if Poland ever opens up, anyone is really welcome to meet for some birding!

On the way to Varanger, first stop at Opisska, second at Jos and third at me. I can heat the sauna. :t:

Nice! Since I don't see it happening this year we can plan a meeting for for the next! :t:

Unfortunately it's getting more complicated as my mum is having cataract surgery in mid-June, so it's unlikely we'll be able to go anywhere before July...

But please keep the suggestions coming, at least it's something to do!

Today, I had a dream that I am in Israel, for some reason only for a super brief visit to see one species and in the dream I was making a spreadsheet to post on birdforum about what other species I am still missing and could have seen, but had no time.

Often I see my dreams as somewhat of a movie from the outside, but here the feeling of being there and the pain of having to leave so quickly was so real.

Today, I had a dream that I am in Israel, for some reason only for a super brief visit to see one species and in the dream I was making a spreadsheet to post on birdforum about what other species I am still missing and could have seen, but had no time.

Often I see my dreams as somewhat of a movie from the outside, but here the feeling of being there and the pain of having to leave so quickly was so real.

I haven't had birding dreams for a while! Usually mine involve some bird which is a distant blob and thus impossible to identify...

As for our staycation it looks like it might be Abruzzo NP in the first half of July, hoping to add somewhere else at the end of the summer, if international travel will be possible then.

Poland just declared they will open borders with other EU countries on Saturday. Just sayin' :) But it's obviously after the main season now.

Poland just declared they will open borders with other EU countries on Saturday. Just sayin' :) But it's obviously after the main season now.

After reading your report it's certainly tempting! As you say it won't be as good in mid-July, but it will go on the list for next year!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back