• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nikon 8x30eII IPD range (1 Viewer)

pat mitchel

Hello; I have a friend that has a narrow IPD of 52 mm and I was looking for info on bins that might go that narrow an IPD. Seems to me a lot of the old small zeiss framed binos of the 50's through the 80's would all go to 50mm or so and was wondering if the 8x30 eII would fall into that category. Thanks, Pat

Gijs van Ginkel; Thanks for the info, a bit too wide for the gents IPD. I was hoping that one of the few remaining quality porros would go to the low50's in IPD. Too bad. Looks like the most likely group of binocs that would have the narrow IPD are the twin pivot compact roofs (despite that not being the class of glass he was looking for). I appreciate the prompt response. Regards, Pat

Just measured 52.5 mm for my 8x30 EII. Nikon 8x30 E measured 48.5 mm. The narrowest IPD among my binoculars is the Swarovski 8x30 Habicht at 47 mm.

6x24 Bin 2 Made in USSR 1977 multicoated 12.2 degrees field.

Minimum IPD is 41.5mm.

However, if one has a nose then 50mm or 51mm may be needed.
Also not for glasses wearers.

Bausch and Lomb 7x35 Discoverer 50.0mm minimum IPD. Thin eyepieces. Probably enough eye relief for thin glasses. 7.5 degrees.

Nikon EII 8x30 52.5mm minimum IPD. 8.85 degrees, but I don't know about nose or glasses.

Swift 8.5x44 HR/5 ~55.0mm minimum IPD. 8.26 degrees.

All Porros.

Regards,
B.

Last edited:
Leupold Yosemite porro models (and competitors) go down to 50 mm.
Nikon SE porro series go down to 53 mm.
Swift UltraLite or Celestron Ultima porros of the 1990s go down to 51 mm.
Zeiss 8x32 FL roofs go to 52 mm.

--AP

Henry post 5,
We measured 56-72 mm IPD for the Nikon EII 8x30 and in the specifications of the EII supplied by Nikon we find the same values.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi Gijs,

A quick measure of my 8x30's: the Nikon EII and E, and the Swarovski Habicht
- all show the same minimum IPD's as those recorded by Henry

In contrast, looking at the specification sheets for both the Nikons and the Habicht, all show an official minimum of 56 mm!

John

My 8x30 EII measures 52.5mm minimum IPD.

However, the size of eyepieces and eye relief are important to make room for a nose.

Regards,
B.

Hi,

I just measured my example of Nikon E2 8x30 - 52mm - see image.

Joachim

Attachments

• e2-ipd.jpg
    e2-ipd.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 35
John Roberts, post 10,
Yes that is what I also noticed and the interesting question now arises: if Swarovski gives a 3.3 meter close focus value for the new NL binoculars, how much closer will it be in reality???????????????
Gijs van Ginkel

I've noticed that IPD specs are often wrong, usually understated.

Binastro makes a good point about nose clearance. At its lowest IPD setting of 52.5 mm the EII nose clearance is 8.5mm. The E with smaller eyepieces has 11 mm of nose clearance with its IPD set at 48.5 mm. The Habicht with the smallest eyepieces has nose clearance of 11mm with its IPD set at 47 mm.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have my eyes close together and in photographs I have seen that this binocular has large eyecups (larger, for example, than the Swarovski Habicht 8X30), in addition to a large nose (although not a Cirano nose), I am thinking of acquiring it but This makes me think ...

a greeting,
Pluto.

Hello,
I have my eyes close together and in photographs I have seen that this binocular has large eyecups (larger, for example, than the Swarovski Habicht 8X30), in addition to a large nose (although not a Cirano nose), I am thinking of acquiring it but This makes me think ...

a greeting,
Pluto.
Not so sure it need be a problem for a Cirano nose; maybe more so for a Rocky Marciano?

An illustration of what you refer to :
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/...30-w-on-the-way-for-wifes-birthday/?p=7186858

I suppose one could copy Tycho Brahe if one really wanted a Nikon EII but was struggling to fit it.

His nose was found to be brass, with silver or gold for special occasions.
He shouldn't have argued with his cousin as to which one was the better mathematician.
And he shouldn't have got drunk.

B.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back