• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saying Hello from Southwest Florida (1 Viewer)

Just Su

Hi, This is going to be fun! I live in Southwest Florida, very close to the Gulf of Mexico. I have most of the Florida wading birds off of my dock, plus many bald eagles. I used to live in Fort Lauderdale, Southeast Florida. where I had several bird feeders and enjoyed them very much. But over here I am lacking trees, the developers raped the land when they bulldozed down every tree there was. When I lived across the state in Southeast Florida, I would take several bird watching trips a year down to the Everglades. Anyway, I have been thinking lately to start bird watching again and just discovered this forum! :clap: I am trying to decide if I should set up a birdfeeder in the backyard. We do not have many small birds, no trees. Any suggestions as to what I should start off with? I look foward to meeting everyone here and sharing our lists.

Hi Su!

On behalf of the entire staff here at BirdForum, a warm welcome to you.

What a pity. All that degradation of the land leaving bird life without a habitat to thrive in. You would think, in a state as hot as Florida gets, shade trees would be the most natural part of any developement.

You can still try to lure the birds in though with feeders hung on tall shepherd hooks. Of course with the climate you have, there is probably not as much of a need for supplemental feedings for the birds. Not with insects able to live near year round. Would be very interested in hearing about what you can attract. Keep us posted.

Hi Su,

Welcome to Birdforum.

Would love to be able to give you suggestions about your potential birdfeeders but not sure what is available in the US and also it sounds a lot warmer than what we get around here.

Hi Su,
And another welcome to Birdforum (from a part time Floridian). You're certainly in a great place for shore and water birds! As far as the development you live in, maybe you can plant a few trees and start a neighborhood trend. It will take several years to see real results but you (and the birds) will be glad you planted them. Hope you enjoy the forum. Looking forward to hearing more from you on th ebirds of your area.

My Biggest suggestion is to replant native vegetation. It's nice to have birdfeeders, but you may end up with flocks of the same birds (exotics and natives alike). Native vegetation will attract a wide variety of birds and others, that will be representitive of the natural population in your area. Hope this helps. I'm new here too... Have fun

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back