• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip Report - Feb/Mar 2014 (1 Viewer)

John Fordham

BF member Tom Jenner had asked for more details of my recent trip so I have cobbled together a Report of sorts. Attached.

Regards

John

Attachments

• Honduras_2014.pdf
    449.9 KB · Views: 201
Great trip report John, I thoroughly enjoyed it and it has whet my appetite to get back to Honduras again soon. I particularly enjoyed the story about the Honduran Emerald - sometimes the most enjoyable birds are the ones you get in unusual circumstances. Rio Santiago sounds good and I will try and make a visit when I am next in the area. After 9 years in northern Central America I never caught up with a Keel-billed Motmot, so I am envious about that one and will have to get it on my next trip. I have also yet to see a Vermiculated Screech-Owl, though I had one calling outside my room one night at Pico Bonito Lodge; a tape malfunction stopped me doing play-back and the bird was long gone before I had a chance to look properly.
Honduras is enjoyable birding and well worth a visit for anyone looking for something a bit different.

Tom

BF member Tom Jenner had asked for more details of my recent trip so I have cobbled together a Report of sorts. Attached.

Regards

John

That's some good cobbling, John. Thanks for taking the time to get your trip down for all of us to get introduced to Honduras birding.

Steve

Good report, John. Interesting about Rio Santiago. Do you know whether Lovely Cotinga is regular there? That would be the main temptation for me at Pico Bonita.

Bob

Good report, John. Interesting about Rio Santiago. Do you know whether Lovely Cotinga is regular there? That would be the main temptation for me at Pico Bonita.

Bob

Yes, Bob, I saw Lovely Cotinga from the Resort restaurant at Rio Santiago. The owner told me they are normally around. I would imagine though that numbers are greater at Pico Bonito - I saw 7 including 5 males from the Pico Bonito watch-tower - distant views though for 6 of them. One thing you could consider is staying at Rio Santiago and then visiting. I believe this is possible - could e-mail them about it.

Cheers
John

interesting report. You mentioned that you was not able to get to Punta Sal because of a guard gate to the new resort. If you turn left a few meters before the gate, there is a dirt road that takes you directly to Laguna de los Micos (monkey lagoon) and there you have excellent birding and wildlife in general (monkeys, oters, etc). Once you get to laguna de los micos, you can hire a motorboat to take you to punta sal (which is still far) or go for a ride in the Lagoon , which is cheap to do and you can see a large variety of aquatic birds, crocs, monkeys (white faced and howlers), etc.

Near every national park or jungle, there is usually a guide for hire, these people are well worth the money, they are cheap (you need to negotiate before, although many just want a tip depending your findings that day). It is very important to have a guide, for example , to find the Colibri esmeralda, they can take you right to the places to find them, they can direct you to nests (if that time of year), etc etc.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back