• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you help me identify this bird? (1 Viewer)

jmr106

In in the Atlanta, Georgia metro area. I use the buses and trains to get to work. For the past two days, I have seen this same bird crouched between a concrete support post for the train station and a worker's dust mop. It has picked that one spot. I have seen it walk several feet away and briefly chase an adult grey pigeon away for some reason, then it returned to its spot again. It was squeaking a lot yesterday. Grey pigeons do frequent the concrete eves about 10-12 feet above and walk all over the station grounds. I'm not sure if it fell out of a nest that I can't see up there or if it lost its parent somehow.

The transit employees don't care at all. I contacted a local place with volunteers that take in wild animals and birds. They told me to get it and put it in a box, don't feed it anything or give it any water "due to its age/condition/injury" and to bring it to them. I don't have a car and I certainly can't do that with my work schedule. It looks like it might be a baby to me. I saw it open its wings (didn't unfold them all the way) as if stretching and then it put them back again. It seems to be able to walk just fine. I don't know much about birds, but it bothers me to see something like this.

It looks rather pudgy. It walked a couple of feet away and pooped when I got a couple of feet away from it to look at it, so it is apparently eating. I'm concerned about it getting enough water, as well. The buses drip water (condensate from the a/c I guess) when they sit idle in the station for 20-30 minutes and leave little puddles. The station also leaks (and did today since it rained a lot) and has puddles of water here and there for a little while.

So, some questions:

Is this a baby grey pigeon?

Would the mother still be feeding it somehow? What about water?

If it has lost its mother or fell out of the nest, will it eventually learn to fly on its own?

Is there a way to determine approximately how old it is and how long it might have until its wings are developed enough to fly? It looks confused.

If I wanted to bring something to feed it on my way to work daily, what could I give it? I don't have any bird seed and won't be able to get any for a couple of days. I have pondered bringing a bottle of water with me and pouring a cap full of water and just sitting it down where the bird likes to lay/stand to sort of supplement it on water. I can't really leave anything larger...the station employees would probably say something about littering.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 33
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 14
Young domesticated type Pigeon ( Squab ). Will be fed by parents, gets liquid from regurgitated food from parents. About 2-3 weeks old. It will be able to fly a little bit. Will survive all being well!. Pigeons are omniverous, but mainly seeds.

It's not too unusual for young birds to leave the nest before being able to fly properly. (Though I hadn't known feral pigeons did this too. They often nest in places where leaving the nest early is not a good idea.) This bird has most of its flight feathers and can probably flutter a bit. If nothing has happened to the parents, they'll feed it on the ground.

Pigeons, interestingly, don't just regurgitate food for their young, they actually produce a kind of milk within their throats.

I'm guessing your bird is old enough to start eating seeds, but feeding it shouldn't be necessary.

I saw it today again in the same spot. I'm very curious why it chose that same spot by the support post to stay next to for all of this time and seems to guard it. I saw it pecking at the side of the support for some reason. I guess either bugs or a little bit of water leaking down from yesterday's rain that it was drinking. I bought some water from the vending machine and filled up the cap, placing it close to where it stays. It ran away several feet out of fear. I also dumped a considerable puddle of it there on the cement next to that so that it would have a good bit to drink if it was dehydrated.

What does the mom do to get it water? I'm not even sure that she's around. It may be surviving on the food scraps it finds on the ground and drinking water when it can find it. I looked up some pics...apparently it is maybe 2.5 to 3 weeks old. Should be learning to fly or at least go a short distance soon. But then I read elsewhere where some pigeons won't attempt to fly without their father present.

I hope it will be fine. Today it was lively and I saw it raise its wings out fully (as if about to fly) while running and chasing an adult pigeon away that was pecking the cement for food scraps. Why would it chase the adults away? Obviously not its parents.

Not sure if it's parent is still around. No sign of the mother in the 30 mins or so that I see it daily.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back