• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carl Zeiss Notarem 10x40 B MC (1 Viewer)

tonytoned

Hello There

Has anybody used or still use Carl Zeiss Notarem 10x40 B MC. If so how do the compare to Carl Zeiss Jenoptems 8x30, I'm thinking of possibly purchasing a pair. I know they're probably not as good as the Dialyt's, or am I wrong!

What are your thoughts many thanks

Tony

Last edited:
Hi Tony. Welcome.

I don't have direct experience of the Notarems, but almost certainly, they won't have the benefit of phase coatings on the prisms, and at very best the reflective coating on the prism faces will be silver (or aluminium) and so less reflective than modern dielectric coatings. Both of these factors will likely mean that the Notarems will have lower light transmission and lower contrast than an equivalent-sized porro binocular.

The Notarems are quite nice roof prisms of their time - interesting binoculars and decently made. In some ways they are quite a bit more "modern" than the Jenoptem, but if you got hold of a late model Jenoptem with full multicoating I'd wager it would actually be better to look through than the Notarem for all of the above reasons. The plus of the Notarem is that they will work better for you if you wear glasses. There's quite a nice review of the Notarems here: http://scopeviews.co.uk/Zeiss10x40.htm

Hi Tony. Welcome.

I don't have direct experience of the Notarems, but almost certainly, they won't have the benefit of phase coatings on the prisms, and at very best the reflective coating on the prism faces will be silver (or aluminium) and so less reflective than modern dielectric coatings. Both of these factors will likely mean that the Notarems will have lower light transmission and lower contrast than an equivalent-sized porro binocular.

The Notarems are quite nice roof prisms of their time - interesting binoculars and decently made. In some ways they are quite a bit more "modern" than the Jenoptem, but if you got hold of a late model Jenoptem with full multicoating I'd wager it would actually be better to look through than the Notarem for all of the above reasons. The plus of the Notarem is that they will work better for you if you wear glasses. There's quite a nice review of the Notarems here: http://scopeviews.co.uk/Zeiss10x40.htm

Thank you MandoBear for taking time to reply.

Hi,

I would only consider those as a collector's item. A 10x roof pair without phase coating is not comparable in resolution with modern roofs or any good porro and also the Notarem series is known for a moderate yellow tint (like most old CZJ glass - not the strong soviet kind) and more importantly problems with their internal focus drive (which is quite unique and will be beyond most workshops).

Definitely not a challenger to a late series Dialyt 10x40 BGAT*P. The P is the important part here and stands for phase coating.

Joachim

To illustrate Joachim’s comment about the focusing mechanism, see two images of the 8x32 Notarem's internals (same eyepieces, prisms and body, different objectives)

- the 1st shows the front of the main body with the objective assemblies removed - but with the prism mounting plates still in place

- the 2nd shows the inside of the main body - after the prism mounting plate has been removed - revealing part of the focusing mechanism

They're from 5 images posted by yovo at: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3278045&postcount=10
(the other 3 are views of the prisms on their mounting plates)

John

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Image00006.jpg
    Image00006.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 43
Hi John,

thanks for adding a link to the thread from 5 years ago that I vaguely remembered but couldn't find... it should be mentioned that the example from this thread had a repair quote of 200€ and that was just for cleaning and collimation. If the focus drive is actually broken (some metal part tends to break, especially in early examples), it might just be impossible if no spares are available.

I just found a post from Werner Juelich on the german juelich optics forum who recommended to have a damaged Notarem sent off to some specialized workshop run by a former CZJ employee in Eisfeld where the CZJ binocular factory was situated.
Please note that this was from the owner of a well known optics store with a large optical workshop who do all kinds of repairs and custom manufactoring.

Joachim

Hi,

I would only consider those as a collector's item. A 10x roof pair without phase coating is not comparable in resolution with modern roofs or any good porro and also the Notarem series is known for a moderate yellow tint (like most old CZJ glass - not the strong soviet kind) and more importantly problems with their internal focus drive (which is quite unique and will be beyond most workshops).

Definitely not a challenger to a late series Dialyt 10x40 BGAT*P. The P is the important part here and stands for phase coating.

Joachim

Thank you Joachim

To illustrate Joachim’s comment about the focusing mechanism, see two images of the 8x32 Notarem's internals (same eyepieces, prisms and body, different objectives)

- the 1st shows the front of the main body with the objective assemblies removed - but with the prism mounting plates still in place

- the 2nd shows the inside of the main body - after the prism mounting plate has been removed - revealing part of the focusing mechanism

They're from 5 images posted by yovo at: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3278045&postcount=10
(the other 3 are views of the prisms on their mounting plates)

John

Thank you John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back