• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Made bird feeder out of plant holder but birds not eating from it (1 Viewer)

barto31

Hi, My name is Judie, I had a 3-panel screen that used to hold potted plants, I decided to turn it into a bird feeder, I went out and bought some screen, cut it out placed it on the bottom and filled with bird seed. The depth is about 3 inches, but the birds do not eat from it, could it be too deep for them? It makes for an interesting feeder but if they don't eat from it, then I will go back to using it for a plant feeder. Thanks for anyone who can give me insite regarding this. Judie

Judie

You might need to give them time. Once they are familiar with it they'll start to feed from I should think.

Keep us posed!

I've just realised this your first post on BF, so a big WELCOME!

Dave

Thank you, I will give it time to see how it works, I guess nature = time and time = nature, and it will work out. Judie

Welcome, Judie! You'll find this one of the best forums around.

And while I can't picture your new feeder, I love the idea of recycling anything, especially if it's for the birds.

And where are you located? What kind of birds are you expecting to get?

Judy,

It's right what others have said regarding giving the birds time to accept your feeder as they are naturally very wary creatures. Also consider the quality of your feed. I used a local supplier of feed but never ever had very many birds on my feeder. After i had changed to a new supplier and his different mix they now flock to my feeders in much larger numbers. So be patient and if neccessary experiment with the mix.:eat:

Hello,

I bought a really great birdfeeder while I visited some friends in Philadelphia, PA. At the Philly-Flower show I found a feeder has been wonderfull!
It's called the Altanta birdfeeder. I have picture of it in my back yard.

Attachments

• Cimg0139.jpg
    Cimg0139.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 286
I find that it doesn't matter what the feeder is like if you position it actually in the tree amongst the leaves and branches. The birds will always go to that one first - security I suppose. I love the way you call your beautiful garden a "back yard" - to me a back yard is a strip of concrete with not a green leaf in sight! Definitely not like yours! When does a back yard become a garden?

Hi Claire - I've noticed this is your first post, so - welcome to the forum. (It might be a good idea to say "Hello" in the welcome forum, then you'll probably get more replies).

I think in the US, anything is called a "back yard" if it is at the back of the house - so a back yard becomes a back garden if it is moved to the UK!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back