• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Uplands, climate! (1 Viewer)

Quercus

homo sarkensis
Not really a bird related question... but

I'm applying for a job near Biggar, in the Southern Uplands... and don't really know the area... ... two questions

How bad is the weather there? (compared to anywhere else in Scotland)

Is it midgey? ( I used to be in Argyll)

Thanks in advance.

Gosh... this has been sitting a few days - no-one talking to you:-O

Actually I can only guess a bit. Biggar is quite high, so I'd imagine when there's bad weather around it'll get it, and worse, than in some areas.

Conversely, I'd think the midges wouldn't be a problem there. Maybe only on still summer evenings near water or in damp wooded areas.

D

It's years since i've been there.

Not sure how midgey it is - would depend on shelter and trees - don't think it would be as bad as argyll.

It can get very cold in winter and a lot of the surrounding roads can get snowed in or iced up, but then again you just don't get winters like you used to.

At one time (during the 70's) neighbouring Wanlockhead was considered to hold potential as Scotland's next and most Southerly ski resort.

Sadly the winters got too warm and wet to sustain any development. But i did ski down nearby Tinto hill a couple of times during the late 80's.

So will it be Biggar itself you are looking to stay in or a neighbouring village?

Kev T

Thanks guys!

I've been looking at the climate stats, it does look like it has really cold, snowy winters!... I always have the impression that when you drive up the A74.. it 's always raining on the tops (around Abington services)!

I was just looking for a bit of local knowledge, especially about the midges... it was one of the reasons I left the West Coast!

I am from a village about 12 miles north of Biggar, and we do have a bit of a local midge problem.

If ever you do, i can recommend getting your hands on one of these:

http://www.midgemagnet.co.uk/

They really do work, although require care when setting up and some easy annual maintenance, they do relieve the misery of the flying plague!

Kev T

Not sure that it should be such an issue in Biggar.

Where i was brought up was about 1000ft above sealevel and surounded on most sides by peat bog, which was then over planted with millions of conifers.

Apart from the elevation it was pretty ideal for the midges.

Not sure that Biggar will be as bad.

k

I've spent a lot of time in Biggar over the years and never thought midges were much of a problem there.

In fact, if I were to move back to Scotland i'd seriously consider a move to Biggar.

However its possible to get areas that are locally midge prone even in an area that isn't very midge attracting and obviously some folk attract midges more than others.

alison

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back