• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isle of Mull - Roads (1 Viewer)

Hi All

We are heading up to Mull in just over a week and I keep hearing dodgy reports about the roads and potholes. This may seem a silly request but we have the choice of driving up from Kent in our BMW convertible or our X-Trail 4x4.

If we take the BMW will we regret it?... Are the roads really as bad as I hear or are they actually not too bad?

Looking forward to guidance from those with better knowledge than I!

Cheers

wg

Hi All

We are heading up to Mull in just over a week and I keep hearing dodgy reports about the roads and potholes. This may seem a silly request but we have the choice of driving up from Kent in our BMW convertible or our X-Trail 4x4.

If we take the BMW will we regret it?... Are the roads really as bad as I hear or are they actually not too bad?

Cheers

wg

We took our Skoda Octavia round the whole island with no problem. The biggest hazard was a very large and stuibborn herd of cows on the road.

Hi there
I can only speak for the southern part of Mull as I don't get up to the top end very often but the roads in this part of the island are fine for your BMW as long as you take a bit of care. We have had a very wet August with a couple of very heavy storms which have opened some potholes especially in the Pennyghael area. However the council are doing a fairly good job of repairing these.
From Craignure over the glen to Pennyghael the road is fine, as mentioned, through Pennyghael the road is a bit dodgy in a few places and once past Pennyghael the road is fine again.
Most vehicles on the island are NOT 4x4 and everyone gets on fine, however if I was in your position of having a choice between bringing a car or a 4x4 I would bring the 4x4 as it gives a higher view point and makes spotting wildlife a lot easier.

Hi All

Cheers

wg

Been to Mull many times and have not had any trouble with the condition of the roads - but that's because we're used to driving on those in our part of West Yorkshire where there's always road works of some sort or another with pot-holes etc...
:-O

Thanks for all the replies folks. So it looks either would do it but more care would have to be taken in the Beemer and the 4x4 would be better for spotting wildlife.

Still a conumdrum but I expect we will make oour minds up before we leave on Saturday!!

Roads are generally okay, but mostly single track with passing places. If you don't get it quite right you can end up on the verges from time to time. Would recommend the 4x4 on island, but the journey up in the 'beemer' would be pleasant.

Why not bring both!!

Now why didn't I think if that!! The obvious answer is to take both cars :t:

oops..... hang on a minute..... why did my wife just start to beat me????:eek!:

Looks like either would do - I know which one I would prefer to drive up there but to be honest I don't really want to have to spend more time than I have to concentrating on the driving. In the 4x4 if I hit the verge it just doesn't matetr - In the Beemer you could be looking at a bodywork repair (depending on the verge or the pothoel beside it of course!!)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back