• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting gull at Pennington Flash (1 Viewer)

jimmyg

Good game boys, good game!
Just a heads-up for anyone birding Pennington Flash. I did the gull roost there last Wednesday, and noted an interesting large gull (present fairly early on). Alongside an adult yellow-legged gull, this bird (also an adult) looked similar to yellow-legged, with a similarly dark grey mantle, and heavy bill (fairly pale in comparison to the ylg) with a large gonys spot. However, there was a lot of dark streaking on the head (especially around the eye and towards the bill), giving a hooded appearance. I knew what that might mean, but unfortunately didn't have the knowledge or literature to hand to make a definitive ID. The only other feature I noted was that the bird looked almost 'squashed up' at the rear end (not something I knew to look for at the time).

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back