• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you reccommend some generic rain guard and lens covers for my Nikon bins? (1 Viewer)

andreiraevsky

Hi,

I am the happy owner of a pair of Nikon ATB 8x42 Monarch binoculars. These are really a fantastic bins, but the lens covers and, even more so, the rain guard (the caps which cover the eye cups) are absolutely and utterly *terrible*: they are made of cheapo plastic and they don't stick the the eye cups *at all*. In one word: useless.

Can you recommend some generic replacements for them which I could purchase separately?

Thanks,

Andrei

I've found Eagle Optics to be a good source of third party covers. Not cheap though. You could ask them for advice on best fit amongst their range.

Cheaper but requiring more guile/research is the Bushnell spare parts department. They provide spare parts for their bins including rainguards and objective covers for their bins that often fit other bins. Prices are quite good compared to the others. It helps to have both bins around to check the fit. If you have this works rather well. It also helps if you have the Bushnell prouct numbers for the bin - the phone call can feel like the Spanish Inquisition.

I've added a set of tethered covers from the Bushnell Elite to my Bushnell Discoverer which orifinally came with non-captive push-on (fall-off) covers. It's a tight fit but now I have objective covers that don't fall off. They also work well as a replacement set (with tighter fit) for the Promaster ED.

Last edited:
I have a rainguard and tethered objective covers I got from Eagle Optics. The Rainguard that came with my Monarch was fine, but I managed to loose it. In addition to the EO brand tethered caps, they have the Bushwacker flip up objectice covers as well. Both work very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back