• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Improving results with a 2*teleconverter and small birds (1 Viewer)

Overread

Hunting birds with a canon
Well I am out trying for some bird photography and am currently experimenting on the birds in my garden. My longest lens is a Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS which is just not long enough to capture shots of small birds as I would like - so out with the teleconverters. I have used a 1.4 a lot in the past with good effect, but small birds needs more range I find - so its out with the more tricky 2*TC.

So far the weather has been cloudy, but a good bright day just went by and I got a few moments out to get some shots. I don't like using the 2*TC in anything but bright weather otherwise it tends to perform badly, even with flash support. For the following shots I used this method:

Kit - Canon 400D, canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS, 2*TC, speedlite 580M2+lumiquest softbox
Manual mode settings - f8, ISO 400, 1/100, flash exposure compensation -2/3

I don't like pushing my ISO above 400 if I can help it because of noise on the 400D; I used the softbox and the exposure compensation on the flash to reduce the chances of overexposing highlights, though next time I might do without the exposure compensation. Infact I have been wondering if a better beamer and flash exposure compensation might be a more suitable alternative than the softbox and no compensation.

Here are the results I got (exif is attached)
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/overmind_2000/my works/little birds 1/1000/IMG_0075.jpg

100% crop:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/...little birds 1/100 percent crops/IMG_0075.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/overmind_2000/my works/little birds 1/1000/IMG_0077.jpg

100% crop
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/...little birds 1/100 percent crops/IMG_0077.jpg

I would be gratefull for any advice on my setup and settings. So far these were shot handheld (with IS on) and I hope to try from a hide with a tripod (hoping for good lighting) at a later date.

I think the shots look very good, especially the first. I was expecting something much worse, based on your question, and based on the bad things I've heard about 2x converters. IMHO, I don't think you can do much better than what you are getting, which, as I said, is pretty fine!

Thanks for the input RAH- the 2*TC is definatly a tricky thing to use right - a really bright day and it can work quite well even with the zoom lens.

I think you've probably hit the practical limit of what that lens and a 2x TC can give you, at least for smaller birds (I too was expecting worse, as I only use 1.4x TC on a 300L IS and 500L, and most bird photographers I know have not had great results with a 2x TC; most I know have gone to the 1.4x and sacrificed some reach for better IQ).

For backyard birding, a 300L f4 IS isn't THAT expensive (especially used, which is how I got mine); coupled with a 1.4x, you'd have 420mm reach - more than the 2x + 200, with less image degradation. The 300L IS is a good handheld lens, and probably would give all the reach you'd need in a backyard (it's also a practical outdoor sports lens).

If a longer lens is out of the question, I'd suggest considering a camera body upgrade - I'm using a 40D, and IQ is usable all the way to ISO 1000-1250 for birding, and I regularly shoot at IS0 800 without even needing noise reduction. A higher ISO would give you much better flexibility in low light conditions.

(I've also had good luck shooting at indoor sports events with the 70-200L f2.8 IS at ISO 1600; after noise reduction in pp, I've been delighted with the results.)

better glass and body are all in the pipe line!
Idealy I want to get my hands on a 300mm f2.8 for its speed and also its ability to take a 2*TC for a decent 600mm lens - course with canon price increases its going to take longer to save for :(
At the moment I am mostly working on expanding my macro kit (its cheaper) so the 70-200mm is going to be my longest for a a good while.
ITs good to hear that I am getting the best I can out of the combo - with better lighting (lower ISO and faster shutter) and a tripod I suspect I can get a bit more out of the 70-200mm + 2*TC

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back