• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few more from the museum (1 Viewer)

MLoyko

d[-_-]b
Here are a few more from today at the museum.

1- a kingfisher
2- Red-rumped Cacique?
3- not clue but was large, had no info with it
4/5- no clue no info

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

• P1030920.JPG
    P1030920.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 58
  • P1030921.JPG
    P1030921.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 54
  • P1030923.JPG
    P1030923.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 75
  • P1030925.JPG
    P1030925.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 58
  • P1030926.JPG
    P1030926.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 48
Last bird of the day.

This one had us stumped but we believe it is a Purple Sunbird subspecies. The picture didn't come out reall well but the back and head were a dark green but drab, no iridescence. The throat was a dark color outlined with a little blue and had some purple coming across the breast with the belly just black. It fit Purple the best.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• P1030929.JPG
    P1030929.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 46
  • P1030931.JPG
    P1030931.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 41
Matt,

#1 is a stork-billed kingfisher
#2 Looks good for red-rumped cacique
#3 is a woodcreeper, but I'll wait for Rasmus to eleborate on which one.

No guess on the others.

Thanks Jeff,

I had no idea woodcreepers could get that big. And we figured the cacique was a Red-rumped but just wanted confirmation because the guide we looked through showed three species that were similar. Thanks again!

* Post#1
1: Easy to be mislead by size when not actually having it in hand, but it's an Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher (disregarding the issues over taxonomy; Black-backed versus Rufous-backed).
2: The rump patch is smaller in the Scarlet-rumped (incl. Pacific & Subtropical) than it is in the Red-rumped, and while my first impression was the former species, I am hesitant due to the "messed up" feathers of the rump region (possibly covering some of the red, making the patch appear smaller than it really is).
3: A few woodcreepers are as larger or even slightly larger than the bird on the photo, but it's a female riflebird. If I remember right, the females of the various species of riflebirds are pretty easy to separate by underparts, but that's without checking a field guide.
4/5: A male Crimson-breasted or Palawan Flowerpecker. Check rump to separate the two (no patch = Crimson-breasted; yellow patch = Palawan).

* Post#2
1/2: Olive-backed Sunbird. One of the black-bellied subspecies, which are found in the region of eastern Indonesia.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back