• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August 2009 in the cairngorm national park: Rothiemurchus, Carrbridge, and Abernethy (1 Viewer)

mcepjg

Peter
Just thought I'd start this thread to share some of the wildlife I have seen whilst on holiday at Carrbridge near Aviemore. There is a lot more to see, but this is what we saw.

I'll start with some photos of the scenery, here are a few shots I took.

Attachments

• Carrbridge 054.JPG
    Carrbridge 054.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Carrbridge 108.JPG
    Carrbridge 108.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Carrbridge 109.JPG
    Carrbridge 109.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Carrbridge 177.JPG
    Carrbridge 177.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 67
Fungi

The cairngorm national park is full of coniferous woodland and they are full of fungi, some rare and interesting, some even edible. I have tried to identify what I have found as I went, here are some of them.

1. Birch Bolette unsurprisingly found under some of the many silver birch trees in this area. They seemed very common in this area and are edible too although i don't like mushrooms. ...tbc got to go

Attachments

• Carrbridge 035.JPG
    Carrbridge 035.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 55
  • Carrbridge 044.JPG
    Carrbridge 044.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Carrbridge 120.JPG
    Carrbridge 120.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Carrbridge 136.JPG
    Carrbridge 136.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 59
Fungi

2. Amanita muscaria Fly Agaric
3. Hydnellum Peckii Bleeding Tooth Fungus (very unusual)
4. Possibly Calocera viscosa Jelly Antler fungus

Butterflies

In terms of diveristy of butterflies in this region I would say it is actually quite limited. But the numbers of Scotch argus are phenomenal, and there were also some red admirals around (my favourite butterfly)

1. Green veined white I think
2. Male Scotch Argus
3. Male Scotch Argus

Attachments

• Carrbridge 024.jpg
    Carrbridge 024.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Carrbridge 150.jpg
    Carrbridge 150.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Carrbridge 025.jpg
    Carrbridge 025.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
BUtterflies 2

1. Female Scotch Argus
2. Unidentified caterpillar
3. Unidentified butterfly

any ideas? Martin I'm counting on you here

Attachments

• Carrbridge 116.jpg
    Carrbridge 116.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Carrbridge 164.jpg
    Carrbridge 164.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Carrbridge 169.jpg
    Carrbridge 169.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Spiders

1. Pisaura mirabilis The nursery web spider. notice the spiderlings protected in the intricate tent.
2. Araneus diadematus These garden spiders were very common in the coniferous woodland. notice how strikingly different these two are in colouration.
3. Araneus diadematus
4. Unidentified

Attachments

• Carrbridge 039.JPG
    Carrbridge 039.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Carrbridge 068.jpg
    Carrbridge 068.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 76
  • Carrbridge 115.jpg
    Carrbridge 115.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Carrbridge 147.jpg
    Carrbridge 147.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 64
Mammals

1 & 2. Ok not strictly wildlife but nice nevertheless
3. Ok a very dodgy record shot but it was a long way away and it isn't everyday you see a hare.
4. When its this easy its no fun (every time I looked for the crossbills and heard a noise at the very tops it was one of these guys and every time it irritated me I felt a little guilty because they are such nice little things.

Also got to see roe deer, reindeer and a bank vole whilst we were there, and we had our very own resident woodmouse!

Attachments

• Carrbridge 167.jpg
    Carrbridge 167.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Carrbridge 171.jpg
    Carrbridge 171.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Carrbridge 191.jpg
    Carrbridge 191.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Squirrel.jpg
    Squirrel.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I have a shed load of fungi photos but wont put them on because it would take all day, but what I will say was that this is an excellent place if you are interested in fungi.

Insects

Didn't see a lot out of the usual. Saw a pair of demoiselle but didn't get a chance to identify/photo them:C

1. Dor Beetle
2. Got to give the woodant its due. it is responsible for clearing the pineneedles into nests and allowing the vegetation to grow, a very important part of this ecosystem
3. The emperor dragonfly is "constantly on the wing" and "when they do settle it is often up in a tree" this is the best I could manage.
4. The much more well behaved common blue damselfly.

Attachments

• Carrbridge 026.jpg
    Carrbridge 026.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Carrbridge 064.JPG
    Carrbridge 064.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Carrbridge 121.JPG
    Carrbridge 121.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Carrbridge 183.jpg
    Carrbridge 183.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 67
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back