• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony or Panasonic (1 Viewer)

Jono L

Hi folks,
My Sony Cybershot has packed up after 5 years of fairly heavy use.
I am now after a replacement and have narrowed my choice down to
Sony Cybershot DSC W210
Panasonic DMC-FS15
based on the price I can afford and the kind of spec I was looking for.
They seem to be equivalent models.
Can anybody recommend which to go for, or a better camera at the same sort of price?
I am birder first, and only carry a camera in case i find the big one...
Any help greatly appreciated!
Cheers
Jono

Hi Jono
The forum can be elitist just like any other.

May I ask if you are using it as a digiscoping camera? What picture quality are you happy with and what is your max budget?

Looked at your blog but did not find a reference to Digiscoping although pics of the S/T were a possibility.

Jono,
I'm sorry to didn't get a response to your question. I guess people are not familiar with these cameras, or maybe the weekend activities kept them busy. Looking quickly at the specs I would think the Sony W210 is the way to go. The 5x zoom on the Panasonic might give you vignetting issues. This is especially true when hand holding as you don't want to zoom the camera lens too much. Also if you've been happy with the Sony up to now why not continue to support them.
Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back