• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cooper Hawk nest in a tiny patch of woods (1 Viewer)

batlix

On July 29th, while walking to marching band sectionals practice, a stray bough sticking out of the small forest caught my eye. At the base of a fairly steep hill (for Indiana), I saw an odd, whiter nub, protruding from the dead stick. I shook my head and glanced around a bit self-consiously, (what would you do if you were walking up a hill, lugging a mellophone, soccer cleats, and a sheaf of music, towards what you probably thought was a bleached portion of a stick?) and then began trudging up the hill. Squinting hard, I decided that it was just an oddly formed branch. And then the nub's head moved. Feeling my jaw drop open and the load drop from my hands, I proceeded up the hill, until I was about 10-15 feet away from a magnificent juvenile Cooper. Not being well acquainted with identifying birds of prey, I memorised every sharp feature of the hawk while she nervously hopped from branch to branch, squeaking, bobbing her head, and eventually fluttering off. After marching band (an agonising 5 hours more of it) I dashed home an identified her.
To make a long story a good deal less exciting, I, after many days, discovered that she was not a fledgling but the mother (or father--how do you tell them apart?) and that she and the older father were raising a nest of vociferous chicks. Two days later, I found the nest. Three, and I observed the parents feeding a rabbit or groundhog to the invisible-as-of-yet chicks. Now, whether at soccer or marching band practise, I can hear whenever the parents are catching or are intimidating prey by the sharp whistles and cheers that echo onto the field. Does anyone have such an encounter? If so, please tell me anything interesting that you know about Cooper hawks. I'd love to know. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back