• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Repair Options: Leitz 10x40 BA Binoculars (1 Viewer)

arpey

My Dad left me his Leitz 10x40 BA binoculars. The item in question carries serial number 927654. When they came to me they were lightly used and in very good condition. All that was needed was replacement of the rubber eye cups, which I did some year back after getting some very solid advice here on this forum. Otherwise, these binoculars remain in very good shape -- I use them only once a year, during The Masters Golf Tournament.

Unfortunately, over the past weekend, the right rear lens (i .e. the one nearest the right eye cup) somehow came loose from its mooring and is now rattling around inside the right barrel like a BB. I am not aware that the binoculars received any sort of impact -- the lens just popped loose. Obviously, the right side of the binoculars no longer focus properly.

I see no obvious way for me to open the right barrel and fix this problem myself, nor am I sure that I ought to open the barrel even if that is possible. I've sent a note to Leica NJ to see if they still offer repair services for this particular model of Trinovids. However, even if Leica can undertake the repair, I expect the repair cost to exceed the value of the binoculars.

I was hoping the members of this forum might be able to offer me some advice about the following:

a. Might this problem be user repairable? If so, I would be extremely grateful for any advice about how to go about that repair.

b. If the problem is not user repairable and repair by Leica in Allendale, NJ is cost prohibitive, can anyone refer me to another reputable repair company who might offer more reasonably priced repair services?

I am located in Atlanta, GA.

Thanks in advance for any advice that might be forthcoming.

Arpey,

Kindly elaborate on your information regarding the likely cost of repairs from Leica in NJ. Of course, any additional information from other members regarding likely cost of servicing a Leica binocular (out of warranty) would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Providing the loose lens has not been rattling about inside the eyepiece and scratched any optics this can be a fairly simple repair.

The loose lens (if it is the one nearest your eye) is simly held in place with a screw ring.

If you feel like trying it I can guide you through the repair.

Update from Leica

Well ... I've heard back from Leica and, after some give and take over why this particular serial number was registered in a name different than my own, they asked whether I could produce my Dad's purchase receipt for the binoculars. God love him, Dad never threw out an important receipt and I was able to find not only his original purchase receipt (1984) but also the Full Lifetime Warranty he purchased from Leica at that time.

Since I have this paperwork and inherited the binoculars directly from my Dad, Leica seems prepared to honor the lifetime warranty. I suppose the transaction still could fall apart once I actually send the binoculars in for repair, but -- for now at least -- I think the best thing for me to do is sent these binoculars up to NJ for repair.

Since I was unaware that my Dad had purchased the extended warranty when I started this thread, this was not a result I was expecting. So many thanks to everybody who viewed my original post and especially to those of you who took the time to write a reply.

Similar to another person's old post, I have a Leitz Trinovid 10X40 about 30 years old and the lens closest to the right eye has come loose rendering the binocular useless. You responded to an old post that you know how to repair what perhaps is a problem with screw ring. Can you please help me with a self repair? I have used it travelling to many countries and oceanic islands. I would like to have my binocular back, so to speak.

Similar to another person's old post, I have a Leitz Trinovid 10X40 about 30 years old and the lens closest to the right eye has come loose rendering the binocular useless. You responded to an old post that you know how to repair what perhaps is a problem with screw ring. Can you please help me with a self repair? I have used it travelling to many countries and oceanic islands. I would like to have my binocular back, so to speak.

Welcome to the Birdforum. You have an excellent repair shop nearby.

Suddarth Optical, is located in Henryetta, OK. Look them up, I know they
work on vintage Leitz binoculars.

Good luck on getting yours fixed, and be sure to let us know how it goes.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back