• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

carrion crow -Poland (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

Can they be carrion crows ? What is characteristic ?
Please help

Attachments

• IMG_2648.JPG
    IMG_2648.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2652.JPG
    IMG_2652.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2653.JPG
    IMG_2653.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 125
Thanks a lot, for help Joern. So - both the birds should be Black crow or black crow mixed with ... hooded crow ?. The birds are all black (I think so) - which indicates hybridization ?

Hi Michal,

Michał Jaro;3672494 said:
The birds are all black (I think so) - which indicates hybridization ?

ornitho.de has a helpful page on hybrid crows:

http://www.ornitho.de/index.php?m_id=20076

They also link a French article with English picture captions, courtesy of the Swiss:

http://atlas.vogelwarte.ch/assets/files/pdf/Duquet_Corneille_hybride.pdf

I would say some grey feathers between the black would be required to identify a hybrid of the "black" type. The French text seems to state that pure Carrion Crows can appear to have some grey feathers in direct sunlight, though. I don't actually read French, though.

Here's a map showing the hybrid sightings in Germany:

http://www.ornitho.de/index.php?m_id=30223

I'd love to see how the distribution continues into Poland, but not having entered any sightings in ornitho.pl, all I can do is to query the last 14 days, which only show two hybrid sightings near Gdansk.

Extrapolating from the number of sightings in Eastern Germany, I would think that you should have a lot of hybrids in Western Poland as well!

Regards,

Henning

The beak length/shape/structure, and bronze neck-feathering on 1st 2 photos would suggest Kruk (Raven). In third? Head profile shows different bill structure (and very obvious length/structure comparison to neighboring congener!), despite looking similar size to Wrona (Crow).
I'd suggest your bird is a juvenile Raven. (2nd photo shows 30% more bill length then Carrion or Hooded Crow, and Raven skull shape, for instance. Plus "nasal feathering/half bill-length"...)

Last edited:
If the front bird in the last photo is the same bird in the first 2 pics, it can't be a Raven as it's the same size as the Hooded Crows - Raven is much larger, probably a bigger size difference than Hooded/Carrion Crow vs Jackdaw!

It looks to me from the first and third photos like there might be some grey on the lower flanks, so it's likely a hybrid with more Carrion Crow than Hooded in it, but it is hard to rule out "pure" CC. I've seen similarly ambiguous birds in Scotland.

there are 3 different birds. I am sending a photos with a wider perspective, and with hooded crows beside (for 1 and 2 bird). I also wonder if 1 and 2 are not ravens - but i'm wondering about size ...
Henning, i m sending ornitho maps from 2017 with hybrids and carrion crows met in Poland.
many thanks for all comments and opinions!

Attachments

• IMG_2652.JPG
    IMG_2652.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2648.JPG
    IMG_2648.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 19
  • carrion.jpg
    carrion.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 15
  • carrionxhooded.jpg
    carrionxhooded.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 12
Hi Michal,

Michał Jaro;3672820 said:
Henning, i m sending ornitho maps from 2017 with hybrids and carrion crows met in Poland.

Thanks a lot - both are pretty rare in Poland, apparently. But the ornitho.de sightings on Usedom are nicely mirrored by the ornitho.pl sightings in Świnoujście, so the puzzle pieces fit! :)

With regard to the Raven identification, my impression is that whenever Crows and Raven meet, they quarrel.

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back