• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First mini Twitch (1 Viewer)

George Garner

Hi everyone,
We had the grandchildren for the day Wednesday and it so happened that a Great Grey Shrike had been reported ony a couple of miles away.
My wife took Jessica girlie shopping, and Lewis and I set off to look for the shrike.
Lewis wasn't to sure about our safety as it was in the middle of nowhere,but as there were two cars there already, I was happy enough. We set off and eventually saw two chaps,and asked the usual question "has it been seen" one of them pointed to a small plantation and there sat on top of a sapling in full view was the bird. Unfortunately young Lewis missed it, and it flew off. Being resigned to the fact he wasn't going to see it, he wanted to leave. On the way back to the car we met two more men, and just as I was explaining which direction the bird had taken, one of them spotted it, this time Lewis was lucky enough to see it, whats more the man allowed him to look through his scope. A succesful trip and a lifetime first or Lewis.
George

Nice sighting George. Birds like that are so much better when shared with someone. Pats on the back to the two birders who let your grandchild use their scope. If only more birders would do this. I let a young couple's two kiddies have a look at avocets and godwits through my scope when I was at Cley a couple of years ago and they were over the moon. What annoyed me was, they'd been in the hide for a good while before I came along, they only had a small pair of optically not brilliant bins and none of the other 'birders' in the hide offered them a look through their scopes. Why not? It costs nothing and the pleasure that shines out of a childs face when he/she actually see a bird close-up makes even the dullest day better.

Hi George,what a good "tick" this early in the year?
And so nice for Lewis too,maybe it'll inspire him to be a birder like his Grandad?
Never seen a Shrike myself.....but the way this year has started who knows eh?
Best wishes,

Keith Dickinson said:
Pats on the back to the two birders who let your grandchild use their scope.
I couldn't agree more Keith,I let a young lad look through mine at the weekend as he was obviously so keen.
Mind it was only a Heron but he was still chuffed to bits!!
Best wishes,

Keith Dickinson said:
Nice sighting George. Birds like that are so much better when shared with someone. Pats on the back to the two birders who let your grandchild use their scope. If only more birders would do this. I let a young couple's two kiddies have a look at avocets and godwits through my scope when I was at Cley a couple of years ago and they were over the moon. What annoyed me was, they'd been in the hide for a good while before I came along, they only had a small pair of optically not brilliant bins and none of the other 'birders' in the hide offered them a look through their scopes. Why not? It costs nothing and the pleasure that shines out of a childs face when he/she actually see a bird close-up makes even the dullest day better.

Hi Keith,
Totally agree with your sentiments. I once spent nearly an hour at Nags Head supervising my scope when the official ones were in use. the other day though I had left mine in the car, muffin that I am.
Ad as you say full marks to the chap involved.
George

Hi George.
What a pleasant tale. I agree wholeheartedly with Keith and Ruth re. the letting others share one's scope. Children and adults have shared mine on many occasions, and as was said, the joy on the faces of the children when they see, possibly for the first time, the sheer beauty of any given bird in close-up, is marvellous to behold. Many adults have had the same experience, but don't tend to show the same emotion as children, although some have asked how much scopes cost, and which one I'd recommend, and left me saying that would have to have one. All this at what cost? a little of one's time. I think, as in every walk of life there are selfish people, but I wonder just how many of those that don't do what your chap did, maybe don't want to push themselves forward, or simply don't think. Thanks for that simple reminder.

All the best.
Baz.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back