• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

Bogus message

Had a PM today from a forum member....nelvabe from Kansas City.....opened it to see something about winning a share of $65 million......closed it straight away but dont know how to contact admin to get the person deleted etc...can anyone help please.

Hi Keith I too received the message at 7.15 this morning. I deleted it straight away. Celia

Here's todays sightings from the Flashes this morning:

Cormorant, Little Egret, Great Crested Grebe, Canada Goose, Shelduck, Mallard, Teal, Tufted Duck, Coot, Moorhen, Lapwing, Oystercatcher, Curlew, Black-Headed Gull, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Woodpigeon, Stock Dove, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Goldfinch, Robin, Wren, Dunnock, Starling and Grey Wagtail.

Chris

Dave J this morning

ad Common Gull, 9 Shelduck, 6 Gadwall, 5 Pochard, Meadow Pipit over, Redpoll - Upton Warren, Moors Pool.

Little Egret, another 2 Shelduck, 5 Skylark - Upton Warren, Flashes. No Avocets. 62 Species this morning.

Today on the reserve

Arrived at the Moors at 1ish, welcomed by heavy rain and a cold SSE wind as well as a yrear tick in the form of Dave W. Luckily the rain was not coming into the hide, so I was able to get an accurate count. The first impression was of a reduction in waterfowl, but this was mostly due to the decline in coot numbers. On the Broadmeadow pool several ducks, namely gadwall and shoveler fed on the New zealand pygmy weed. We were told that some one had seen 7 avocet at the Flashes, so we made tracks.
Species count at Moors:
GCG , little grebe 2, cormorant c15, shoveler 36, gadwall 6 (3 prs), teal 20 (incl 5 NM), shelduck 4, pochard 5 (3 m), tufted 36, coot 140, snipe 6, Oystercatcher 2, stock dove, cettis warbler,

FLASHES:
Expecting to see the avocets we were disappointed that we only saw 7 shelduck - easy mistake they are black and white8-P. Joking apart, there weren't any this morning and the people in the sailing centre cafe were told about the avos, they could well have just dropped in for a bit. The heavy rain had created loads of small pools in front of the hide and a flock of teal could be heard dabbling in them. The gull roost was increasing and the curlew flock had increased by nearly 20%.
Species count FLASHES:
Teal 84, shelduck 10 (2 prs + 6 males), tufted 5, greylag 26, coot 22, water rail 2, snipe 5, lapwing 201, CURLEW 13, Oystercatcher 3, BHG 600 roosted, Herring gull 20 over, LBBG 10 over, buzzard, green and great sp woodp, wood pigeon 700+, fieldfare 250, redwing 150, starling 140 all together in the orchard then flushed and landing in trees around Flashes. magpie 27 roosted. pied wag 3.

Species count at Moors:
GCG , little grebe 2, cormorant c15, shoveler 36, gadwall 6 (3 prs), teal 20 (incl 5 NM), shelduck 4, pochard 5 (3 m), tufted 36, coot 140, snipe 6, Oystercatcher 2, stock dove, cettis warbler,

Species count FLASHES:
Teal 84, shelduck 10 (2 prs + 6 males), tufted 5, greylag 26, coot 22, water rail 2, snipe 5, lapwing 201, CURLEW 13, Oystercatcher 3, BHG 600 roosted, Herring gull 20 over, LBBG 10 over, buzzard, green and great sp woodp, wood pigeon 700+, fieldfare 250, redwing 150, starling 140 all together in the orchard then flushed and landing in trees around Flashes. magpie 27 roosted. pied wag 3.

Was that 3 or 5 Oyks on the reserve yesterday afternoon John?

work party at Moors Tomorrow

Light duties tomorrow....We will be having a rest from Shingling. So an easy day, dead hedging, willow coppicing, installing tree guard protection,
B :) john

UW Moors golf club

A few pics of a Herring Gull who had found a golf ball. He took it to the top of the ramp, dropped it so it rolled then chased it down to the waters edge. Also the old favorite of dropping from a height.Fascinating behavior.
Also a pair of Oyk's were mating and four Avocets dropped in.
An Otter showed several times in the channel in front of the East hide to the delight of the work party.:t:

Attachments

• g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 110
  • g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 107
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 99
The roost at the Flashes:
Teal 55, shelduck 5 (between 7 and 9 max on reserve), mallard 50, greylag 20+, coot 20, water rail 2, Oystercatcher 3 (mating observed), snipe c20 most flying out at dark, curlew 11 ( the 2 extra birds from 22nd have moved on), lapwing 294, Green sands - 4 (2 came in at 6pm followed by 2 more by 6.25pm). BHG 201 roosted,
song thrush 1 singing

Saling pool: GCG 3, tufted 4, coot 6, Little egret roosted in tree on pools edge.

I have opebned ythe sluice at the Flashes, so there should be some mud soon. Water level was 0.52 (Des could you let me know what it is tomorrow - I am trying to work out the new sluice outflow rate):t:

Tuesday's MOORS work party

Today we concentrated on extending the 'dead hedge' in the North Moors plantation. We used all the brash from the recent copping. As well as this we created 'habitat piles' from old logs and brash. These were all on the west side of the trail. The eastern side was cleared of brash, to allow a more diverse flora and areas for foraging passerines.
We also cleared some of the debris in the Salwarp log jam - filling 15 bin bags with plastic bottle and footballs.

The team today: 13 of us- Bobby P, Bob O, Charles, Jim, John C, Jonathon, Peter E, Peter, Ray C, Roger, Terry W, Tony B, and me

Two pics of the new dead hedge.

Attachments

• 1. NM dead hedge plantationDSCF5533.jpg
    1. NM dead hedge plantationDSCF5533.jpg
    910.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 2. dead hedging NM plantationDSCF5529.jpg
    2. dead hedging NM plantationDSCF5529.jpg
    937.5 KB · Views: 102
The roost at the Flashes:
Teal 55, shelduck 5 (between 7 and 9 max on reserve), mallard 50, greylag 20+, coot 20, water rail 2, Oystercatcher 3 (mating observed), snipe c20 most flying out at dark, curlew 11 ( the 2 extra birds from 22nd have moved on), lapwing 294, Green sands - 4 (2 came in at 6pm followed by 2 more by 6.25pm). BHG 201 roosted,
song thrush 1 singing

Saling pool: GCG 3, tufted 4, coot 6, Little egret roosted in tree on pools edge.

I have opebned ythe sluice at the Flashes, so there should be some mud soon. Water level was 0.52 (Des could you let me know what it is tomorrow - I am trying to work out the new sluice outflow rate):t:

OK John.

Des.

Bittern channel

The water level is now rising and the Bittern channel is beginning to blend in.
Both photos are taken from the west track
1. looking towards the east hide
2. looking north towards the car park

Attachments

• twiter bittern channelDSCF5542.jpg
    twiter bittern channelDSCF5542.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 119
  • twitter west bittern ditchDSCF5544.jpg
    twitter west bittern ditchDSCF5544.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 117
Useless statistic of the day:

This year is already the third most productive for Little Egret (in terms of number of days recorded) with records of birds present on 35 dates, only surpassed by 75 dates in 2010 and 146 dates last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back